Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cannibas be legalised????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

DaveMcG wrote: »
    100%

Anywho........................ back on topic: drugs are bad.

Yeah alcohol and the lot. Prohibition doesn't work though, lets have some nice headshops where I can buy a bit of smoke and the government can earn some tax but 12 year old kids can't get served. The thugs in charge of the current trade not only don't do refunds but they also sell to kids. This is very wrong and it only happens because of prohibition. Also because of prohibition the cost of the drugs is kept artificially high. Which of course is what makes it worthwhile for the gangsters to get involved in the shooting of the bullets into peoples faces. Drugs should be legalised and all the drug related crime will dissapear. Incidentally that's most of the crime in the country. Whatever the gangsters turned to next it would not be as profitable or do as much social damage as the trade in illegal drugs. If people decide to abuse drugs rather than use them then that's their choice. It's a basic human right to be allowed the control over what goes into your own body. It's a right that's being denied here and whoever was snorting coke in the Dail needs the balls to say so out loud.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

So how can you be sure thats what caused your memory problems? Maybe you forgot that you got hit in the head with a saucepan by an angry mexican whose chili you stole and got amnesia, forcing you to keep returning to your kitchen, and its vague memories of the life you once knew...

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah alcohol and the lot. Prohibition doesn't work though, lets have some nice headshops where I can buy a bit of smoke and the government can earn some tax but 12 year old kids can't get served. The thugs in charge of the current trade not only don't do refunds but they also sell to kids. This is very wrong and it only happens because of prohibition. Also because of prohibition the cost of the drugs is kept artificially high. Which of course is what makes it worthwhile for the gangsters to get involved in the shooting of the bullets into peoples faces. Drugs should be legalised and all the drug related crime will dissapear. Incidentally that's most of the crime in the country. Whatever the gangsters turned to next it would not be as profitable or do as much social damage as the trade in illegal drugs. If people decide to abuse drugs rather than use them then that's their choice. It's a basic human right to be allowed the control over what goes into your own body. It's a right that's being denied here and whoever was snorting coke in the Dail needs the balls to say so out loud.:D

What ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 driveon

I am new to this site and will probably get shot down in flames for my comments but here goes.
    I was a practising alcoholic for 20 years and was in a mental institution twice and life was unbearable in the end for me and my family. I have not drank alcohol for a good while and make voluntary visits to hospitals and prisons to talk with people who want to get off the addiction. It is amazing the percentage of people in prisons and institutions that are there as a direct result of their drinking, I met one man that was serving 10 years for killing another man in a pub with an ashtray and he does not remember a thing about it as he was in a blackout.

So where does that leave my thoughts about cannabis, well so far I have never met anyone in the institutions I've visited that were there as a direct result of them taking cannabis. I have never tried it myself cos I know I have a dependent personality so [EMAIL="don@t"]don't[/EMAIL] want to take the chance but 3 years ago my wife died of Ovarian cancer and during her illness found little relief from morphine etc it was a doctor that suggested she tried cannabis and it gave her great relief she vaporized one type in the morning to make her feel good about the day and another sort at night to help her sleep.

If only for medical reasons I feel cannabis should be legal and let the rest of us adults make our own decisions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

driveon wrote: »
    I am new to this site and will probably get shot down in flames for my comments but here goes.
    I was a practising alcoholic for 20 years and was in a mental institution twice and life was unbearable in the end for me and my family. I have not drank alcohol for a good while and make voluntary visits to hospitals and prisons to talk with people who want to get off the addiction. It is amazing the percentage of people in prisons and institutions that are there as a direct result of their drinking, I met one man that was serving 10 years for killing another man in a pub with an ashtray and he does not remember a thing about it as he was in a blackout.

So where does that leave my thoughts about cannabis, well so far I have never met anyone in the institutions I've visited that were there as a direct result of them taking cannabis. I have never tried it myself cos I know I have a dependent personality so [EMAIL="don@t"]don't[/EMAIL] want to take the chance but 3 years ago my wife died of Ovarian cancer and during her illness found little relief from morphine etc it was a doctor that suggested she tried cannabis and it gave her great relief she vaporized one type in the morning to make her feel good about the day and another sort at night to help her sleep.

If only for medical reasons I feel cannabis should be legal and let the rest of us adults make our own decisions

Im sorry to hear of your loss .

I agree that if it can be used for proper medical reasons and prescribed in metered doses then it could be legal.

But I still think think it has damaging effect on young people.

My brother is a complete typical stone head. Came out of school with 7 GCSE A grades. Smart guy. Then fell into a bad bunch.

He has been smoking hash for the last 6 year. He is a lazy lay about who is late for work every day and no ambition in life. He just wants to get stoned with his mates every night.
    this guy was above average intelligence now it pains me to say. he is a waster.
    The reason in pot. Every one who knows him including all his family agree with this.
    This is his story and his problem but I seem to know a load of people who went down the same road.

I know there are exceptions to this and smoking hash is not going to lead you down to the next AA meeting , but it messes with kids life's. For that reason It should stay Illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

gsxr1 wrote: »
    He has been smoking hash for the last 6 year. He is a lazy lay about who is late for work every day and no ambition in life. He just wants to get stoned with his mates every night.
    this guy was above average intelligence now it pains me to say. he is a waster.
    The reason in pot. Every one who knows him including all his family agree with this.
    My masters degree, wife, 3 kids and professional job would like to suggest that hash usage is more a smyptom than a cause of your brother's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

personally id love it to be legalised but i dont know if it would be great for the mass's.

i find it hard to believe that the government are going to make it harder for people to smoke cigarrette(smoking ban) with one hand and then legalise something that will, to a certain extent, encourage more tobacco consumption with the other

i also see alcohol going the same way as cigarrettes(sp) in the next hundred or so years....ie some people will do it but it will be slightly looked down upon etc and then going towards a total ban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

really?

you honestly think people worldwide are going to stand by and let their government take away their alcohol?

I doubt it, very much. People like to get ****ed up, elephants, reindeer and monkeys like to get ****ed up. It's as natural as taking a dump, and the govermnen't can't practically legislate against it.

no ambition in life. He just wants to get stoned with his mates every night.

maybe his ambition was to work to live ad not live to work???? maybe he is happy and fulfilled.......maybe he isnt but just because his particular past time involves smoking hash dosnt make it a bad one or his mates a "bad bunch"

I know there are exceptions to this

assuming your brother didnt make a conscious decision to live how is living then your brother is the exception not the hundreds of thousands of people who have perfectly succesfull and fulfilled lives while smoking hash
    but it messes with kids life's. For that reason It should stay Illegal.

i assume you are in favour of banning alcohol and tobacco aswell then?

by the way i dont consider myself a "user" of cannabis, i have a few drags of a mates spliff if its going and i have never bought any for myself(certain personal objections to the drugs trade in general) so when i say the above its not from a self justification stand point as its not my lifestyle and weather its relevant or not my family has had serious tradgedies with drugs of all kinds
    Mordeth wrote: »
    really?

let their government take away their alcohol?

well smokers everywhere said they were going to carry on smoking inside pubs no matter what but at a minute past 12 they all sheepishly walked outside didnt they?

like i said i dont see it happening anytime soon (like i dont think cigarettes will be banned completely for at least 2 more generations) but i do think eventually in the evolution of mankind if you will we will move away from alcohol completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Dakeyras wrote: »
    one of the saddest things i've ever heard is that a certain plant is defined as evil while another is deemed okay, while certain plants and derivatives are deemed okay, others are deemed illegal.
    Couple of small points here, no one is calling plants evil. Harmful maybe, but not morally aberrent. Does it shock you that certain plants are deemed harmful? I don't see why all derivatives of steel should not immediately be made totally legal, since if the base material is okay, automatic rifles must surely be okay. This gets my vote for most inane post of 2007 awards, btw.
    Dakeyras wrote: »
    you still bring a smile to my face which is nice and a sadness to my heart but then we all can't agree
    You misunderstood what I meant by "saddest". I don't feel sad, low or depressed in any way at the thought of stoners marching up the street in protest for their burning herb. What I mean is, thats pretty damn sad.

Oh yes, and re: smile to your face, you lose. :D

• Advertisement

honestly, I don't think stoners have to accept criticism from anime fans. Omg, fanservice!

honestly, I don't think stoners have to accept criticism from anime fans. Omg, fanservice!
    Yes, because watching telly is more pathetic than inhaling burnt narcotic substances in order to induce a chemical high. Good point there.

you don't see much western tv that scripts teenage girls falling over so the viewer can get a good look at their underwear.

PeakOutput wrote: »

i assume you are in favour of banning alcohol and tobacco aswell then?

why do alcohol and tobacco have anything to do with the question about legalising cannabis?

surely this is a separate issue.

breakfast rolls is our generations big killer:D the amount of builders walking around with belly over there belts is quite sad;)

as for my bro.

I just think he could do himself a favour if he lay ed of the stuff. He over indulges on pot , MDMA and drink. More so Hash .

I came to an age (around 27-28) when I grew out of drugs.

A few months ago I went out with my bro and did what they where doing.
    I just felt out of place . Been there done that sort of feeling. Felt immature.

sorry if that offends but it how I felt at the time.

I'm a father now with a good job and would not want my son to think that I ever touched the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I know there are exceptions to this and smoking hash is not going to lead you down to the next AA meeting , but it messes with kids life's. For that reason It should stay Illegal.

it being illegal has never stopped any kid who wanted to do it from doing it ever. and alcohol also messes with kid's lives. as do fatty foods. as does tv. as do video games etc etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

it being illegal has never stopped any kid who wanted to do it from doing it ever. and alcohol also messes with kid's lives. as do fatty foods. as does tv. as do video games etc etc etc etc
    I kinda disagree.
    Being illegal has always made it fairly hard to get, maybe not in the inner city but elsewhere. And if you did get it, it was often crap. And if you couldn't get it, and still wanted to try to get high...

I used to regularly find empty air-freshner spray cans behind by my garden wall. Now that shìt will kill ya.

gurgle.. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't at least a couple of dealers within a mile of you... the're everywhere not just confined to the inner city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

Last time I smoked cannibis I commited suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

ryanairzer wrote: »

So they have the internet in the afterlife now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

ryanairzer wrote: »

It's a pity your only joking.

• Advertisement

you don't see much western tv that scripts teenage girls falling over so the viewer can get a good look at their underwear.
    So cannabis makes you dislike looking at teenage girls' underwear? What can't cannabis do?!

suck it and see

suck it and see
    The above comment is definetely adding to the mounting pile of evidence from Mordeth that cannabis is teh gheymaker.

/not that theres anything wrong with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'm a father now with a good job
    Seems there weren't any serious negative long term effects from drugs you did in the past then, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Yes, because watching telly is more pathetic than inhaling burnt narcotic substances in order to induce a chemical high. Good point there.
    What makes one more pathetic than the other? In my view, neither activity is inherently pathetic and would only be so if that was all that person ever did.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    What makes one more pathetic than the other? In my view, neither activity is inherently pathetic and would only be so if that was all that person ever did.
    Well apparently one gives you teenage girls in their knickers, the other gives you teh ghey, according to some of the anecdotes in this thread. Viewers are free to make up their own minds which is preferable. The jury is still out on what happens if you smoke the weed while watching anime, presumably you morph into some sort of a hermaphrodite creature.

/andsuretheresnothingwrongwiththat

why do alcohol and tobacco have anything to do with the question about legalising cannabis?

you said something along the lines of it does harm to people and therefore should be illegal. by that reasoning alcohol and tobacco should also be illegal no?

i dont really believe that personally ut thats were your argument leads to. if the gain(tax etc etc\0 to society is greater than the downside(increased mental patients possibly??/ lung cancer etc etc) and is also greater then the cost of tracking down drug dealers etc then it should be legalised if its not it should stay illegal. thats not a very humane(right word) view but it is what it is

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Seems there weren't any serious negative long term effects from drugs you did in the past then, eh?
    you should see me lap mondello. Im quite the nutter:D

I blame it on a misspent youth

You know, I'm learning something from this discussion; arguing with stoners is much easier than arguing with real people.
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    if the gain(tax etc etc\0 to society is greater than the downside(increased mental patients possibly??/ lung cancer etc etc) and is also greater then the cost of tracking down drug dealers etc
    Sooo, if the financial profits from legalising heroin are MORE than the financial cost of tracking down heroin dealers (which is some wild and hairy logic in its own right, comparing a cost -negative- to a profit -positive- and saying we'll take whichever one is more profitable), heroin should be legalised? As an added bonus, you get a nice population of easily controlled addicts as well! You just can't beat running a government the way you'd run a corner shop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 driveon

surely this is a separate issue.

breakfast rolls is our generations big killer:D the amount of builders walking around with belly over there belts is quite sad;)

as for my bro.

I just think he could do himself a favour if he lay ed of the stuff. He over indulges on pot , MDMA and drink. More so Hash .

I came to an age (around 27-28) when I grew out of drugs.

A few months ago I went out with my bro and did what they where doing.
    I just felt out of place . Been there done that sort of feeling. Felt immature.

sorry if that offends but it how I felt at the time.

I'm a father now with a good job and would not want my son to think that I ever touched the stuff.
    It amuses me how the alcohol and tobacco lobby have managed to diatance their products from the term drugs.
    When watching or reading a news report it is always referred to as alcohol. tobacco and drugs as if tobacco and alcohol are not deemed as a drug, is that just to ease the concience of smokers and drinkers

Advertisement