Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cannibas be legalised????

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

gsxr1 wrote: »
    why do alcohol and tobacco have anything to do with the question about legalising cannabis?

surely this is a separate issue.

Not really, alcohol especially is a substance of abuse. The Americans tried to ban it. The ban didn't work. Governement lost all control over sales distribution and revenues. Gangsters, thugs and murderers took hold of the trade.

Cannabis too is a substance of abuse. The Americans banned it, the rest of the world followed. The ban doesn't work. Governements have lost all control over sales, distribution and revenues. Gangsters, thugs and murderers have taken hold of the trade.

At the end of the prohibition of alcohol some supporters openly admitted its failure. A quote from a letter, written in 1932 by wealthy industrialist John D. Rockefeller, Jr., states:

"When Prohibition was introduced, I hoped that it would be widely supported by public opinion and the day would soon come when the evil effects of alcohol would be recognised. I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe that this has not been the result. Instead, drinking has generally increased; the speakeasy has replaced the saloon; a vast army of lawbreakers has appeared; many of our best citizens have openly ignored Prohibition; respect for the law has been greatly lessened; and crime has increased to a level never seen before"

cf. Cannabis Sativa. Surely this is not a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

less money for dealers, more money for government, happy people everywhere, who sees a bad side to this??

What about the mental effects? Smoking the sh1t every weekend can't possibly be good for your mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

You can blame the founder of this company for the banning of Marijuana throughout the Western World.

Hemp was, and is, the biggest threat to the profits of producers of Nylon and Plastics. Not until the Western population demands a shift away from synthetic oil-based drugs and fibres will we see a return to hemp farming.

Another world war would also increase demand for hemp based fibres. This is what happened during WW2, and subsequently the U.S. introduced a 'Grow Hemp for Victory' campaign. Which was quickly done away with after the war and they returned to nylons and plastics for ropes, canvas, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What about the mental effects? Smoking the sh1t every weekend can't possibly be good for your mental health
    The human body is extremely good at dealing with toxins, as long as you don't over do it the body can deal with and eliminate anything you throw at it. Your not going to make it to 100 without picking up a whole heap of damage anyway, it all just depends how how much fun you want to have on the way. I don't see the appeal of being a 100 year old blithering wrinkle bag anyway. 70 would do me just fine.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The human body is extremely good at dealing with toxins, as long as you don't over do it the body can deal with and eliminate anything you throw at it. Your not going to make it to 100 without picking up a whole heap of damage anyway, it all just depends how how much fun you want to have on the way. I don't see the appeal of being a 100 year old blithering wrinkle bag anyway. 70 would do me just fine.

It's not an exact science as to how you'll react - probably over time you'll find yourself getting more and more paranoid and freaked out with things going on around you...

I'm all in favour of decriminalising the sh1t but people need to take on board the high level of mental illness associated with this drug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

It's not an exact science as to how you'll react - probably over time you'll find yourself getting more and more paranoid and freaked out with things going on around you...

I'm all in favour of decriminalising the sh1t but people need to take on board the high level of mental illness associated with this drug

Just in case people missed this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54455596&postcount=53

What things?? :eek: Jesus Christ man your freakin me out dude. :p

How long does it take these things to kick in? I'm at, I suppose 6-7 years of smoking, I didn't start till I was about 21. Will these affects kick in soon??

There are side affects and everyone's different of course but these people are in the minority the vast majority of people who smoke are fine, upstanding pillars of the community.

What things?? :eek: Jesus Christ man your freakin me out dude. :p

How long does it take these things to kick in? I'm at, I suppose 6-7 years of smoking, I didn't start till I was about 21. Will these affects kick in soon??

There are side affects and everyone's different of course but these people are in the minority the vast majority of people who smoke are fine, upstanding pillars of the community.

I think in your case these effects will kick in exactly on 23rd April 2009 - you'll be busy sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle and scratching nuts.

Seriously though - it's different for everyone and it depends largely on what you actually get out of being stoned all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

jeez man, I'd be eager to know your credentials, cos you seem to have alot of specific information that has yet to be discovered by scientific research!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    jeez man, I'd be eager to know your credentials, cos you seem to have alot of specific information that has yet to be discovered by scientific research!

Sarcastic jest aside - I've recently assisted someone in getting help for paranoid schizophrenia as a result of their smoking.

But you must clearly be working in the field judging by your familiarity with the 'scientific research'

• Advertisement

I think in your case these effects will kick in exactly on 23rd April 2009 - you'll be busy sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle and scratching nuts.
    Oh no, Who's this Jeremy Kyle and what is he doing in my house? If I avoid him, will I be not sick?

Sarcastic jest aside - I've recently assisted someone in getting help for paranoid schizophrenia as a result of their smoking.

But you must clearly be working in the field judging by your familiarity with the 'scientific research'

post 159 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

You know, I'm learning something from this discussion; arguing with stoners is much easier than arguing with real people.

Sooo, if the financial profits from legalising heroin are MORE than the financial cost of tracking down heroin dealers (which is some wild and hairy logic in its own right, comparing a cost -negative- to a profit -positive- and saying we'll take whichever one is more profitable), heroin should be legalised? As an added bonus, you get a nice population of easily controlled addicts as well! You just can't beat running a government the way you'd run a corner shop...

first of all i didnt say it was a method that should be applied to everything but as i dont see hash as a dangerous drug it is a model i believe could be applied to the legalisation of cannabis.

also you took my point as meaning i was only talking about monetary cost. i wasnt. factors like increased mental patients with legalisation compared to increased crime with continued prohibition need to be compared as well......which is more socially acceptable?

secondly if you leave addiction out of it heroin is apparently( i say apparently as i didnt read the studies myself but have been told the results threw a 3rd party) a harmless drug and it is in fact the **** it is mixed with by drug dealers to increase their profits and the complete unregulation of the trade that leads to deaths.

i don't think legalisation in this country will ever happen even if it is the economical solution and i personally would be much more concerned with trying to get 24/hr club openings which, i think, is a no lose proposition

bubonicus wrote: »
    post 159 :D

I can't be arsed reading the other 10 pages because I'm too stoned

I can't be arsed reading the other 10 pages because I'm too stoned

O.K. your choice. It's nice that, to have a choice.

O.K. your choice. It's nice that, to have a choice.

Listen I'm all in favour of choice....as I already mentioned.

My issue is with people who use the argument that 'it doesn't harm anyone'

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

I heard a statistic which said that the Irish smoke more cannibis per head of population than Holland...so just beacause its illegal doesn't stop people from smoking it. It should be made legal and then that would at least take the trade of it out of the hands of the criminals....

I heard a statistic which said that the Irish smoke more cannibis per head of population than Holland...so just beacause its illegal doesn't stop people from smoking it. It should be made legal and then that would at least take the trade of it out of the hands of the criminals....
    Most Dutch people have no interest in smoking weed and will avoid coffieshops at all costs. They're just tolerant of those that do it, that's all.
    I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who claims cannabis is without it's risks.

Listen I'm all in favour of choice....as I already mentioned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...6&postcount=53

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone who claims cannabis is without it's risks.
    Not really.
    You have bubonicus here who keeps posting the same link over and over again (he'll be banned the next time he does it), to a post where he found some scientific evidence that cannabis does not cause schizophrenia.
    Of course, there are other studies which will counter that claim, but stoners tend to ignore those ones.

• Advertisement

And drunks with a chip on their shoulder tend to ignore the research such as that posted by bubonicus, which shows that it DOESN'T cause schizophrenia......

Terry wrote: »
    Not really.
    You have bubonicus here who keeps posting the same link over and over again (he'll be banned the next time he does it), to a post where he found some scientific evidence that cannabis does not cause schizophrenia.
    Of course, there are other studies which will counter that claim, but stoners tend to ignore those ones.

I'm sry I posted it twice, in this thread, because Tim would not look at it, Knowledge and all that.

It's a new study and the most up to date. We have to start somewhere. Or let's dismiss all Scientific study because we can't trust it because anybody can make this stuff up depending who's funding them.

smoking and drinking can be harmful to you. But you have a choice if you want to consume them. why can't "Stoners" have the same informed choice.

And again if you read the bottom..... ah whats the point... I'm going to have a smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

DaveMcG wrote: »
    And drunks with a chip on their shoulder tend to ignore the research such as that posted by bubonicus, which shows that it DOESN'T cause schizophrenia......
    Are you inferring that I have a chip on my shoulder?
    If so, what is it about?
    bubonicus wrote:
    Or let's dismiss all Scientific study because we can't trust it because anybody can make this stuff up depending who's funding them.
    That's just it.
    Show me some research that is completely unbiased and I'll believe the results.

Terry wrote: »
    Are you inferring that I have a chip on my shoulder?
    If so, what is it about?

That's just it.
    Show me some research that is completely unbiased and I'll believe the results.

lol, you are worse then Michael Moore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

lol, you are worse then Michael Moore.
    Doesn't mean he's wrong though.

I mean its not like people with vested interests in selling you stuff would ever get involved in funding false research so they can take your money and get that yacht that santy promised them on the back of your health.

Inconceivable!

I mean its not like people with vested interests in selling you stuff would ever get involved in funding false research so they can take your money and get that yacht that santy promised them on the back of your health.

Inconceivable!

thats great, you think I have a chip on my shoulder too.

So I post a link to a scientific study, and I get called a stoner with a chip on my shoulder.

I was saying Terry is like Michael Moore because he quoted me out of context.

I wish people just would have read the original link i posted and the disclaimer at the bottom. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Its the samw sh!t day in day out with these stoners. I was one too, nearly lost my degree, girlfriend family and my sanity. Quit trying to post links to this and that, you won't change my mind, having lived through it (thanfully) and known others who ended up wating their lifes because of weed. No thats a FACT. I'd love to know how long some of these posters have actually been smoking?:rolleyes:

Inconceivable!
    I'm sorry -- are you suggesting that drug dealers are funding bogus scientific research to help sell their product? Please clarify if you are not, but that's what I picked up from you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

Cannabis should be legalised. I know people who regularly smoke and drink (including myself), and i can honestly say the effects of alcohol are far more destructive in my experience. Basically i've never done anything stupid that i regret under the influence of cannabis. Alcohol is a different story and i think you'd fine it the same with most regular smokers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

hopalong85 wrote: »
    Cannabis should be legalised. I know people who regularly smoke and drink (including myself), and i can honestly say the effects of alcohol are far more destructive in my experience. Basically i've never done anything stupid that i regret under the influence of cannabis. Alcohol is a different story and i think you'd fine it the same with most regular smokers.

How long have you been smoked? I also have never done anything stupid whilw under the influence of weed but it was the cummulative effect of smoking day in day out that fcuked me up and friends of mine.

Advertisement