Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Search and Destroyed

Options
  • 23-11-2007 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Here we go i don't know whether this post is for this section of the forum or not but ill give it to yous anyway. I was driving back from work last night on the m50 at around 2am, i drove down past dundrum exit and the guards boxed me in with a riot van an unmarked car and a marked car and pulled me over pretty high risk maneuver for a simple procedure. Anyway about 10 of them pounced on the car as soon as they pulled me over (didn't arrest me or anything like that just told me to get out). So the began searching the car while the guard in charge was questioning me, the usual stuff what ya doing, would ya like to be arrested etc... So they emptied the booth which was pretty full had axle stands tool boxes and the sort, they then tried to open the bonnet which i had to do for them, they looked around here and found nothing, then try to get in at my locked dash which was locked because i have all my insurance documentation in there, so he tried prying it open, so i ran over and told him to relax with it and used the key, then realized he had broken the thing so he just ripped it down and broke it more and needs to be repaired. All in all ive never been in trouble with guards other than road tax which was sorted and they had no reason to search my car, is there any way that i can claim off them for this damage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did you get officer numbers etc. reg numbers of the vehicles?

Out of interest, what do you drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Talk to the Garda Ombudsman. They should be able to trace the Gards that were on duty and patrolling the M50. Shame you didn't get any numbers, it would have made your task a whole lot easier.

EDIT: Sounds like that boredom got the better of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭qballirl

Didnt get any information i was tired and pretty much shocked i drive BMW E36. They asked me to produce insurance so i presume they have a record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Complaint to the Garda Síochana Ombudsman is in order. http://www.gardaombudsman.ie

Will do this as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe you bought the car recently and they thought you were the previous owner? Is there any bling on the car?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

esel wrote: »
    Maybe you bought the car recently and they thought you were the previous owner? Is there any bling on the car?

Something like that maybe. Possibly a case of mistaken identity of some sort. But the Gardaí are still responsible for damaging your glove box.

The only "BLING" is that there are 17" wheels on it but this is not uncomman on 3 series', but yeah bought it about 4months ago maybe a little longer, the car was bought in naas but i was sittin in town one day and some lad came up and said his brother used to own the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wonder if this has anything to do with the big drug bust near that area last night?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1123/drugs.html?rss

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like the car was known to them. Similar thing happened to a friend of my father where he bought a used Merc and was constantly stopped by the cops for no apparent fault of his own. He did a bit of digging and found out that the Merc was previously owned by a very colourful charactor who was engaged in criminal activity. It got too much in the end especially for his family so he sold the car on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sounds like the car was known to them. Similar thing happened to a friend of my father where he bought a used Merc and was constantly stopped by the cops for no apparent fault of his own. He did a bit of digging and found out that the Merc was previously owned by a very colourful charactor who was engaged in criminal activity. It got too much in the end especially for his family so he sold the car on.
    You would think the cops would leave it alone after the first time. Could they not update their records?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Could they not update their records?

PULSE would be very easy to update, the hard part would be their brains, 6 months in Templemore might sort it out....:D

Stick in a complaint OP, I have no issues with searching your car, thats proactive and im all for it, but they can go breaking peoples property without repremand.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

If they went to those lenghts they probably thought you may be dangerous or may fail to stop for them. No excuse for breaking the glove box tho. Write to the superintendent - its faster than the ombudsman

Advertisement