Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small bubble in tyre

Options
  • 23-11-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Guys i just noticed a small bubble in my tyre.They are low profile tyres on a gti.Why is the bubble there? and can it cause any harm like blow up?

Hope someone can help.Thanks in advance.I might go to the nearest fastfit to ask them but they are just going to try sell me a a new tyre which i dont have the money for :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Tyres are not meant to have bubbles. They are a weaknes in the tyre that should be changed immediately as you run the risk of a blow out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

seconded

A bubble in the side wall means that the carcass undernaeth is broken. Sooner or later the tyre will disintegrate ...most likely at full speed.

Get a new one, pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Agree, Agree, Agree!!!
    Bubbles are bad news! Both for the tyre and your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

should be changed immediately as you run the risk of a blow out.

Simple as that. A bubble or 'duck egg' means that the wall of the tyre is now compromised and has been weakened. Get rid of the tyre ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

drdre wrote: »
    they are just going to try sell me a a new tyre which i dont have the money for :)

thats alright cos when you're dead you won't have to worry about why you saved about €200 on that tyre with the bubble

CHANGE IT..!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Thanks guys.im going to get up early to get this sorted.I just got brand new alloys with alloys from a place in ballymount.Im going to go to them and ask them to try and sort it out.As i didnt change any air so that means they might have put the wrong air amount in the tyres.Could that be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

No the Tyre is severely damaged and is dangerous. It needs to be replaced, if I were you i'd put the spare on and go get it sorted. Make no mistake this will blow out on you sooner or later. A high speed blowout is not good i've been there after running over a spanner of all things, which was bent at 90 degrees. Luckly for me I was able to maintain control but it wasn't easy and it scared the **** out of me.

Redshift wrote: »
    No the Tyre is severely damaged and is dangerous. It needs to be replaced, if I were you i'd put the spare on and go get it sorted. Make no mistake this will blow out on you sooner or later. A high speed blowout is not good i've been there after running over a spanner of all things, which was bent at 90 degrees. Luckly for me I was able to maintain control but it wasn't easy and it scared the **** out of me.

Thanks i will try get it sorted first thing in the morning.

Why does a bubble occur? Is it because the air in the tyre is too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Hitting potholes or mounting kerbs can cause it AFAIK. As could a defect in the Tyre. There are probably many causes but I'd imagine the first two are the most common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Over inflation can cause these types of bubbles sometimes. Also if some damage like hitting a kerb can cause the weave within the tyre wall to weaken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

The most likely reason for a bubble in the tyre (especially with low profile tyres and alloys ) is that you hit either a kerb or pothole or some sharp object and damaged the inner structure of the tyre wall. As other posters have advised you....get it changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

drdre - It's fine, leave it. Try pumping the air pressure upto 45PSI and drive as hard as you can over a pothole at about 100MPH. As the tyre blows out (this is perfectly normal) try to drive to the LEFT into the ditch. Bring your rosary beads and don't forget your 'Hail Marys'

OR...

Get the thing changed in the morning. If you "Dont have the money for a new one", park the car up and use yer bicycle/bus/legs until you've saved up the pocket money to buy a new one. Blowouts are dangerous, I couldn't care less if you kill yourself, but killing someone else as yer car swerves down the road out of control will make people want to sh1t on your grave

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hope someone can help.Thanks in advance.I might go to the nearest fastfit to ask them but they are just going to try sell me a a new tyre which i dont have the money for :)

Even with your three credit cards?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You haven't been doing donuts again have you?;)

Get rid of that tyre. It's potentially lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's some info on the subject from a tyre manufacturer

http://www.toyo.com.au/TechInfoPDFs/TTT-182%20Sidewall%20Concavity%20and%20Bulge.pdf

You haven't been doing donuts again have you?;)

Get rid of that tyre. It's potentially lethal.
    Nope, Not on a GTI. Its too nice to be doing donuts in :)

eoin_s wrote: »
    Even with your three credit cards?

Yep but still have to pay it off some day

I just got 3 Goodyear f1 tires off a friend who had a gti for only 150 for the 3.Was a good bargain as they are approx 180 each brand new.
    Will get the 2 front ones changed 1st thing Monday morning.
    thanks for the help guys.I didn't know what to do as it was my first time i experienced this.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nope, Not on a GTI. Its too nice to be doing donuts in :)

And it's wrong wheel drive!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    And it's wrong wheel drive!

Heheh :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement