Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda - Now socially acceptable?

Options
  • 23-11-2007 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Just looking at the range of Skodas, they seem to be pretty good looking, especially the Octavia, not to mention value for money. Since Volkswagon took over they're supposed to be fairly reliable too. All in all it would seem to be a good purchase.
    My question is - is it no longer uncool to buy a Skoda since their new-found popularity or do people still generally look down on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Good build quality, esp 1.9d. Alot of reps are driving them. it may be something to do with the price and BIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Funny story, herself's Polish, and I heard her saying to a friend "To jest Skoda", asked her for the translation and she said "That's a pity", so Skoda in Polish means Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think the storys got around that they really are just vws with different badges.I like skodas and i worked in a skoda garage last year.They have big plans for the next few years. The all new superb will be just that. Its launching mid next year and its supposedly more like an A6 than a passat.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthewheel/archive/2007/11/01/new-skoda-superb-so-what-s-it-like-to-drive.aspx

The new fabia has recently been released and is great value for money being about the size of a golf mark4. The fabia estate is being released around now

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Skoda-Fabia-1.2-12v-70-2/229320/

Apparently there are also plans for a small 4x4,a large mpv and a superb estate.The Octavia which is the best selling skoda because of its sheer value for money. The VRS is the definately the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jimbo78 wrote: »
    My question is - is it no longer uncool to buy a Skoda since their new-found popularity or do people still generally look down on them?
    This is 2007, right? :confused:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Apparently there are also plans for a small 4x4,a large mpv and a superb estate.The Octavia which is the best selling skoda because of its sheer value for money. The VRS is the definately the best..

i was looking at the VRS, but problems getting herself insured as she is still on a provisional. In the end I got a 1.9 tdi and am very happy with - great for all my fishing gear :)

I don't think anyone really looks down on skoda now-great value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And if they do look down , if you are happy with the car and its performance then who gives a flying fook to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think the storys got around that they really are just vws with different badges.

That's basically all they are - rebadged Vee Dubs. Maybe they are slightly 'last years' VW, but they are a lot more reliable than Volkswagens.

Skoda are one of the worlds oldest car manufacturers, that indian head badge has been around a lot longer than the VW badge. But since VW took over, the Skoda brand has come a very long way. Remember the Felicia? One of the first models launched under VW's watch. Now fast forward to the current range - nobody can deny the progress.

So I'd say, yes, it is cool to own a Skoda. IMO, turning your nose up at a Skoda these days just smacks of 'badge snobbery'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

have to say,i find my octavia a great car. am actually tempted to keep car until it falls apart,cars usually last a few months with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Socially acceptable?

If you have to ask THAT question, go on, be a sheep, buy a beemer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Im liking the VRS alright, got great reviews -a little bit on the steep side though - €32k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I remember my father saying after one of the "new Skoda" ads was on TV (this is 10 years ago if not more) "I don't care what you what you say... it's still a fúcking Skoda". Which is true, altho in fairness the badge may still be the same but the cars are a lot better. But I think the new Skoda is Ssssang Yong or someone like that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Exactly. Would you buy a daewoo or proton even if it was well rated. I definatly wouldnt. Almost everyone has badge snobbery to some extent. Does a Skoda still come under the same catagory as these cars in terms of street cred?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I drove a 1.2 Skoda Fabia Comfort '03 for 3 years.... I recently upgraded to a 03 TDI Passat....

My Skoda died a horrible horrible death with 45K on clock ( miles )

Apparently the three coils into the ECU fried.... ( I am not a mechanic so dont ask for more info ) however I did a search on google and it came back that the VW Polo ( which has the same engine aswell as the Leon and Ibiza ) all had the same problem.....

Basically, as well as getting the good build quality that VW do have ( kind of ) you also get the flaws :o(

To be fair to the Fabia, it took my heavy foot very well and I used to get 350 out of a tank on a 40 Euro fill ! Not bad ! :)

All in all..... My next car will be the new Superb and my next car will be decided by how long it takes for my VW to cough choke and die.... which with any luck will be in about ten years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MugMugs wrote: »
    To be fair to the Fabia, it took my heavy foot very well
    To be fair it should be impossible to kill a car with that low mileage, unless you drain all the oil out first.

Dunno, but I wouldn't be inclined to buy another one...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

I think the storys got around that they really are just vws with different badges.

And they are so much better value than VW's ....an example is the passat 1.8TSI is out now in Ireland and is a whole 5000 EURO dearer than the 1.6FSI passat.(both base model)

The octavia with the same 1.8TSI engine is guess how much dearer than the 1.6 FSI octavia (both Elegence model)..... its only 800euro more!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Drove the VRS Octavia and the Superb last Xmas, both fantastic cars in their respective fields. The VRS was a great car in the twisty roads around Banteer and the Superb just glided on the same roads. Skoda will eat into VW sales in the next few years big stylee I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Exactly. Would you buy a daewoo or proton even if it was well rated. I definatly wouldnt. Almost everyone has badge snobbery to some extent. Does a Skoda still come under the same catagory as these cars in terms of street cred?

Daewoo and Protons feel cheap and flimsy, Skodas are very well finished and have an engine range that reflect European needs. Not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I love it if people think they're terrible. Makes for a great bargain when looking second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

- is it no longer uncool to buy a Skoda since their new-found popularity or do people still generally look down on them?

Which people? UnCool with who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BostonB wrote: »
    Which people? UnCool with who?

Boy racers?

I have never seen a badly modified skoda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think they are fine cars. Reasonable value in an expensive market too.

I agree basically VW's in poorer clothes, but better built. Some older techonology - 1.9 TDI for example, but this applies to all VW, Audi, & Seat products.

I wouldn't go as far as to to say the are desirable though (apart from the VRS models).

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

tuxy wrote: »
    Boy racers?

Makes me want one more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

tuxy wrote: »
    Boy racers?

There was a bright lime green Octavia floating around Newbridge in Kildare about a year ago. It was the older model and it had the works:o done to it. Apart from the colour, it had all the go faster stripes, spoilers, neon lights under and horrible alloy wheels. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that...but this was just wrong. It was also a 1.9 TDI if i remember right:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

cyborg wrote: »
    And they are so much better value than VW's ....an example is the passat 1.8TSI is out now in Ireland and is a whole 5000 EURO dearer than the 1.6FSI passat.(both base model)

The octavia with the same 1.8TSI engine is guess how much dearer than the 1.6 FSI octavia (both Elegence model)..... its only 800euro more!

You do of course realise that the Octavia is a Golf in disguise, so that is hardly a fair comparison. And the 1.8 TSI has 160 bhp compared with the 1.6 FSI's 115 bhp so thats hardly fair either.

What I notice about Skoda is that they still use a lot of the older engines in the VAG range, no sign of an Octavia with the 1.4 TFSI or 1.8 TFSI on the way AFAIK.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read what you said properly, but having checked it out now, I agree €850 is a bargain for that 1.8 engine in the Octavia, which makes €5,000 of a premium for the same engine very hard to justify in the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I had a 07 1.9TDI Octivia for about 2.5 weeks as a replacement car after a provisional driver "Modified" my 2001 100bhp 1.9 TDI passat. The Octiva was huge inside + a truly massive boot, perky enough to drive as well. However I found that the diesel engine was extremely rough and unrefined, loud cabin noise and some of the parts were lifted from older VWs. It is very good value for the money though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

E92 wrote: »
    What I notice about Skoda is that they still use a lot of the older engines in the VAG range, no sign of an Octavia with the 1.4 TFSI or 1.8 TFSI on the way AFAIK.

Is this what your looking for?

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=728360820070828&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

E92 wrote: »
    You do of course realise that the Octavia is a Golf in disguise, so that is hardly a fair comparison. And the 1.8 TSI has 160 bhp compared with the 1.6 FSI's 115 bhp so thats hardly fair either.

What are you on about. The octavia is getting the 122bhp 1.4 passat engine to replace the 1.6fsi imminently i believe and what engine are you talking about when you say"1.8tfsi". Just a few months ago the octavia got the 160 bhp 1.8tsi engine. Thats the only new 1.8 from vw lately.N.B. The 160bhp 1.8 is actually a TFSI engine but badged TSI. Also, when the octavia got this engine it was before any vw. It got it at the same time as the Audi A3. Finally the passat uses pretty much the same platform as the golf so it is a fair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

My apologies, wasn't aware these were available(I wrote AFAIK for a reason), I never remember seeing press releases or anything mentioned on sites like Autocar or World Car Fans or reviews of them of any description.

And I wasn't entirely wrong, no sign of a 1.4 TFSI on carzone or on Skoda's UK website(so definately not here yet, FWIW Skoda's Irish website is not working at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

ned78 wrote: »
    Funny story, herself's Polish, and I heard her saying to a friend "To jest Skoda", asked her for the translation and she said "That's a pity", so Skoda in Polish means Pity.

In Czech "To je skoda" means it's a pity too (no 'st' on the 'je'), but it has nothing to do with the car ;) The guy who founded Skoda Motors was called Emile Skoda so that's where the name comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can see the effect of the golf platform in the old Octavia in the back, poor legroom. In the new Octavia the rear space is much better. There must be something different done to as the new golf/jetta have much worse rear space compared to the Octavia and Passat.

I always think its a good sign of a car if they are popular with the taxi drivers. The loads of the TDI's on the road as Taxis.

Advertisement