Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda - Now socially acceptable?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Hubby has had an octavia for the last few years. Just got a new one a couple of weeks ago drove it yesterday for the first time. Wow I was very impressed it drove brilliantly plenty of room for the shopping!!!!:D Really nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I thought it was no longer a question that needs to be asked???? the only people that ask such a question know NOTHING about cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the overhangs are quite big on the Octavia. it's not bigger than a Passat, especially in the back.

Looks the same to the eye, if not bigger.

Octavia 560 litres of load space with the rear seats up, 1420 litres with the rear seats folded flat.

Passat 485 litres of luggage space. Can't find what it is with the seats down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Octavia is a Czech build tardis. Bigger on the inside than on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have to say I drove a Diesel Octavia recently for a week and found it really nice. It had leather and all the bells and whistles. From the outside though it is a bit of a plain Jane. If I could possibly blinker myself to driving a Passat I am sure I could do the same with the Suberb.

Verdict - Skoda = boring but good like a Toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

As a Skoda owner I will generally suggest them to driver's if I think it's a good fit. There is still a lot of badge snobbery out there, but the people who take the time to have a look at the car will generally order one, but still a good few who just dismiss them out of hand.

I did manage to pursuade the former Brand Manager for Audi from a South Dublin dealers in to a Diesel VRS, but one of my collegues in a 316 would rather spend a fortune on a new 316 than look at the Skoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I thought it was no longer a question that needs to be asked???? the only people that ask such a question know NOTHING about cars.

Im not asking if Skodas make good or reliable cars, its quiet evident they do, Im asking do people still still turn their noses up at them the same way as a Datsun or Daewoo, regardless of the quality of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Im not asking if Skodas make good or reliable cars, its quiet evident they do, Im asking do people still still turn their noses up at them the same way as a Datsun or Daewoo, regardless of the quality of the car.

Skoda are bland and utilitarian but offer very good value for money for the budget conscious motorist. With tried and tested VAG parts, not the latest unproven technologies, they will always be more reliable than their VW equivalent. They also benefit from the fact they are built by a more motivated work force.

Some people (much less so than in the past) will still look down on them but these people do not matter. Ignorance is bliss for these folk. They are the type of brainwashed badgeheads who think their mass produced 316i is the ultimate driving machine or their Golf/Passat is a junior status symbol or semi-prestige car.:rolleyes:

If you are worried about other peoples opinions, well pity you. Then may be buy a Seat instead - at least they have a bit of flair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

TomMc wrote: »
    With tried and tested VAG parts, not the latest unproven technologies, they will always be more reliable than their VW equivalent. They also benefit from the fact they are built by a more motivated work force.

Sure aren't half the VWs these days not even built in Germany? I know some Polos were built in Spain, some Golfs were made in South Africa, etc. - I dunno where they're coming from these days.

TomMc wrote: »
    If you are worried about other peoples opinions, well pity you. Then may be buy a Seat instead - at least they have a bit of flair.

Your kidding yourself mate if you think people dont care what other people think of their cars, we'd all be driving around in boxes otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Your kidding yourself mate if you think people dont care what other people think of their cars, we'd all be driving around in boxes otherwise

I know most people live lives which appear to be dictated by other peoples opinions, but it does not have to be like that. Why worry about other peoples opinions or seek their approval, especially where it is a case of pandering to the ignorance or the perceptions of commons snobs. Discrimination is everything. And for the record, the best cars out there just so happen to only impress people who are worth impressing, nobody else. Anyway, buy the car that suits your requirements and which you like for yourself, not some socio-economic affectation or ego trinket.

I have said it here before but its a small man/woman who needs approval from others and an even smaller one who needs a car to make an impression. Why be one of the sheep and so conformist. Imagination not money is the key to buying the right motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Skoda are VW at sensible prices. You get all the kit everyone else is offering as std (unlike VW)

Further on in the years and miles, VW's etc. aren't reliable... its just that the parts are readily available aftermarket. Ask your local motor factor, or mechanic which brand pads out his profits...

...incoming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

BostonB wrote: »
    So its a golf chassis thats giving you the more "space" than the passat.

Less space in the back of the Octavia, due to the boot.

This whole thing "Is it acceptable to drive a skoda"

Well .. noone's came over to me in traffic and said "You disgust me"

Whatever you like is your own business.

People have gotten into my Octavia and were surprised it was so comfortable. I quite like the look of the MK1 Octavia, but i'm a bit more for retro anyway.

Ford Capri is probably my favorite of all time :)

Its like saying, is it now socially acceptable to go out with a girl from Tuam ..... :P

craichoe wrote: »
    Its like saying, is it now socially acceptable to go out with a girl from Tuam ..... :P

Apparently not. Not medically advisable eirther

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Does anyone know the mpg on an Octavia 1.9 TDI?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

In the old one the 1.9TDI 90bhp(98-04 and still going on as the octavia tour model, recently upped to 100bhp), you'd get nearly 65mpg when cruising at 60mph.You'd get nearly 60mpg under same conditions in the new one, 105bhp though, makes a nice difference when overtaking

Advertisement