Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car

Options
  • 23-11-2007 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Got a new Volkswagen Golf and I was just looking to know if theres anything that I can do to keep the wipers on the car in good condition? And anyone got any other tips or suggestions for good products to keep your car in good nick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/

Some good info and products there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Use a clean cloth and some silicone spray to clean them!

Don't use automatic car-washers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Are you saying that you have bought a new golf in the middle of November?, oh well, here is my advice for keeping your wipers in good condition, it,s simple , replace them every year. dont waste your money on "products", just buy a new set of bosch aero blades at the start of winter each year and you will have no problems. the price of these are falling now from a high of about 55euro to around 30 euro now, will be cheaper next year. If your car has alloy wheels take them off every six months and clean where alloy joins with hub, this will stop alloys bonding with hub which makes it nearly impossible to get the wheel off if you have a puncture and havent got a sledgehammer handy. My only other advice with a new car is for God,s sake dont park next to a three door car, especially a three door fiesta with a child seat in the back. Ignore this advice at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

As said already, don't use automatic car washes. I wouldn't even use your local spray and sponge/brush washes. Learn how to do it properly yourself so that no harm can come to the paint.

Get some kind of quickwax over the winter to keep the paint protected, and look at doing a bit more once the weather gets a bit better.

Give me a PM if you want any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

If you're interested in seeing where you're going, don't put silicone spray anywhere near your wipers.

Drive on as normal, when your wiper performance degrades, replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭tigerforest

thanks. its not brand new but new 2 me needed it right now for work. Thanks for the advice dont have any intentions of taking it anywhere near an automated car wash ever! and dont really want to take it to someone unless its really necessary want to do it myself and do it right. Where do you like to buy cleaning products and any brands? Anyone tried alloy wax for keeping them clean? Whats good for keeping tyres black?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

you cant go wrong with either meguiars or Autoglym polishes and waxes for body trims tyres etc readily available in halfruads!

For leather i would only use gliptone cleaner and conditioner

As for wheels its better to get them spotless and them seal them with either poorboys or autoglym sealer that way any dirt will wash off easily with in the jet wash esp brake dust.

Also i would recommend upgrading to bosch aero wipers if you car doesnt already have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

tossy wrote: »
    you cant go wrong with either meguiars or Autoglym polishes and waxes for body trims tyres etc readily available in halfruads!

For leather i would only use gliptone cleaner and conditioner

As for wheels its better to get them spotless and them seal them with either poorboys or autoglym sealer that way any dirt will wash off easily with in the jet wash esp brake dust.

Also i would recommend upgrading to bosch aero wipers if you car doesnt already have them.

In fairness, the stuff you get in Halfords isn't great, and is so overpriced its not even funny. Good shout on the gliptone cleaner & conditioner.

Have a look here, its probably the best guide for cleaning your car, and has product recommendations on it too - http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/kits.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try this place:
    http://www.smartcarcare.ie/catalog/

P.S. I have no association with the above site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

What ever you do, if your windscreen is frosted over, don't turn on your wipers. One wipe over ice and they're done for!
    And don't mind comments on buying in November, for 2nd hand cars you often get a better deal than you would have in Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Oilrig wrote: »
    If you're interested in seeing where you're going, don't put silicone spray anywhere near your wipers.

try wiping it off next time

Advertisement