Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to talk, at what age?

Options
  • 23-11-2007 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My son will be two in a few weeks but has no words yet. Would it be time to see a doctor?

The nurse made a scheduled visit earlier in the year and showed some concern and promised to call back at 18 months, but didn't.

Several months ago he said the word "doggy" at our pet dog but absolutely nothing else since. When did yours start?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring your local health clinc and ask for the baby nurse and make an appointment with him/her for an assement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

I wouldn't worry you say he is making noises so you know there's nothing wrong with him physically.
    A friends child was the same didn't start speaking till around 3 years, now he won't stop talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

What level of comprehension does he have?

My son was referred to a speech therapist as he barely spoke yet understood everything that we said & she pointed out that making noise was the easy bit, it's the comprehension that actually means anything. She got him to pick out the circle from a choice of shapes & worked up to giving her a certain number of objects or certain colours.

If he understands what you say then he will start talking in his own time but certainly ask for a referral from your PHN to set your own mind at rest. If he would benefit from anything over & above what you are already doing then you would know it. hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Has he had ear/nose/throat infections? My daughter had a couple and then had grommets inserted at 18 months. Within days she was speaking a lot more as she could hear better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

What level of comprehension does he have?

My son was referred to a speech therapist as he barely spoke yet understood everything that we said & she pointed out that making noise was the easy bit, it's the comprehension that actually means anything. She got him to pick out the circle from a choice of shapes & worked up to giving her a certain number of objects or certain colours.

If he understands what you say then he will start talking in his own time but certainly ask for a referral from your PHN to set your own mind at rest. If he would benefit from anything over & above what you are already doing then you would know it. hth
    I'm not sure how I would quantify his comprehension. He understands phrases like "close the door", "pick it up", "get your car" and will do all these actions. When he sees something new or something interesting he will say "muck a da" (as all one word) which, believe it or not, means "look at that". I don't see any progress though. What age was your son when he was referred?
    dame wrote: »
    Has he had ear/nose/throat infections? My daughter had a couple and then had grommets inserted at 18 months. Within days she was speaking a lot more as she could hear better.
    He has had several ear infections over his two years. Will make the nurse aware of this. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

That sounds like good comprehension to me but if you are at all worried, ask you PHN for a referral...I think my son was nearly two & he only pointed at things & said "Dat" rather than say their names but like your lad he could follow commands but wouldn't answer. The speech therapist said he had above average comprehension & he's a wee chatterbox now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

While obviously you'll get him checked out in case of any problems, may I mention that two of my friends didn't talk till they were five.

One (now dead) was one of the country's top journalists; the other is a brilliant solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Just to re-iterate what has been said already - the speech part isn't what should worry you, comprehension is everything here. As long as you think that he understands you when you speak to him, there there is no real cause for alarm. A professional second opinion is always a good idea, there might be something physically hindering him, and that should be addressed ASAP.

As a parallel, my little fella didn't really speak until he was almost two, but his comprehension was always very good. He literally started talking one day, and now, a month after his second birthday he must have in excess of 300 words. You just can't shut him up now - how I long for the peace again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Baby boys all seem to wait till at least 3 before talking properly.
    My godson is about 2.5 years and understands what you say but still can't talk properly. He's not far off it though.
    My girlfriends niece on the other hand had just turned 2 and she has the gift of the gab..I was astonished to hear her talking the first time I met her and couldn't get over the range of her vocabulary.

Advertisement