Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ABS light?

Options
  • 23-11-2007 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

My 'ABS' light on the dash is coming on and off. What's the cause of this? My breaks seem to be working fine :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Check the manual sometimes a flashing ABS light can be different to a steady light .It usually means the anti lock part of the brakes are not working ie wheels will lock up under heavy braking .Best thing to do is to bring i to garage to be checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks. It was a Jap import so no manual. The light doesn't flash, it just come on for a few minutes and then goes off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sometimes caused by a piece of dirt affecting the sensor.

To see if the ABS is actually working - find a piece of wet road and brake hard (if safe to do so). If you don't feel the brake pedal vibrating when you press hard then you'll know that you do not have ABS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

My 'ABS' light on the dash is coming on and off. What's the cause of this? My breaks seem to be working fine :confused:

When I towed with a Mitsubishi Galant, the ABS light used to comer on - naturally with the lighting board connected.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Is it a toyota??

I know on some batches of ABS sensors that Toyota used was actually linked to the brake fluid resevoir or something like that. If the brake fluid went even a mm less than the max that would happen with the ABS light coming on while driving. Mine has this issue and it only happens the odd time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What car is it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

It's a Pajero Junior. The brake fluid is fine because I checked it last week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There is a fault somewhere in the ABS system. Your brakes will be fine - but there is a chance that that the ABS will not activate when required.

Take WA's advice earlier to test to see if the ABS is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It's a Pajero Junior. The brake fluid is fine because I checked it last week :confused:

I got the make right - are you sure that you weren't towing ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Its the brake pads that need changing. Did u have a look to see if they were worn down?

Same thing happened in my mazda. - the light would come on for a while then go off - i replaced all the pads and it never came on again (however, i did know the pads needed replacing prior to the light coming on)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does the ABS light come on on a Mitsi to indicate brake pad wear - is there not a dedicated light for brake pad wear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

crosstownk wrote: »
    Does the ABS light come on on a Mitsi to indicate brake pad wear - is there not a dedicated light for brake pad wear?

Im not sure about mitsubishis but i know some cars have dedicated brake pad wear lights , others just use either ABS light or Handbrake light

Advertisement