Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boyzone on Late Late Show

• 24-11-2007 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

I have no TV at the moment so I missed the one thing I actually wanted to see on the Late Late Show - Boyzone! So does anyone want to tell me what they said? When are they playing Dublin?

I'm sure I'll be mocked for this but I'm very excited. I never got to see them live as a child, and I can't wait to see them this time around. Bit of my childhood, you know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, i'm ashamed to say i watched an entire Late Late tonight for the first time in about 10 years.

They're playing the RDS at the end of June.. tickets are on sale Monday 3rd December.

They did a (camp) medley of songs, acted a bit awkward to be honest and just discussed what they've done since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

why dont you download it from the internet ?

I dont like Boyzone - they sang old stuff - didnt even have a new song - did a stupit robot dance thing - spoke to Pat but cant remember what they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fantasma

Is this a promotion??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Oh god did you see their little dance moves..*cringe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Yeah twas really cringey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

cazzy wrote: »
    why dont you download it from the internet ?

I dont like Boyzone - they sang old stuff - didnt even have a new song - did a stupit robot dance thing - spoke to Pat but cant remember what they said.

It's not available on the RTE website yet! But i'll watch it as soon as it is. I have an exam on the 3rd, which means I'll have to get mammy to get me the tickets. Least she can do in fairness after all the years of neglect. I mean, what kind of mother doesn't bring her daughter to a boyzone concert?

I rarely watch the Late Late, it's a bit crap really. When I got a text saying Boyzone were on I nearly had a heart attack!

(I did see Jade Goody on it last week though and it was freaking hilarious!)

Actually when Boyzone were doing their medley on songs with a slight upbeat tempo and dodgy dance steps, all i could think of was this (especially the 'I Love Willies' song.. that could have been the four lads):

Anyone else?
    When I got a text saying Boyzone were on I nearly had a heart attack!
    Hmmm.. that is quite sad! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

what kind of mother doesn't bring her daughter to a boyzone concert?
    I think she was doing you a favour really!!!:D

basquille wrote: »
    Hmmm.. that is quite sad! :(

Ah don't be mean! :p I'm just excited because I feel like I missed out! I know it's a bit sad really, but I don't care. Anyway, I think it's important that I go to see them now that I have realised that Steven is not the good-looking one.

Anyway, I'm over not seeing the late late show now. And I've just realised the toy show is on next week, right? Hopefully the tv will show up sometime after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Sweet jebus they were on the Late Late? goodness.... I recall meeting them a few times, purely because two of my friends were MENTAL fans of theirs (seriously) and my dad worked in RTE so he could get us in. Lol, my sisters friend was with us too and her jaw just dropped when they spoke to her, she couldn't move :D so funny
    Dunno how well Boyzone will do back together though, Take That have proven themselves (I was never a massive fan of theirs either back then but I like em now), not sure if Boyzone can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I take it Tommy Tiernan didn't go through with his promise in relation to Stephen Gately;)

I was flicking through channels and caught about 30 seconds of it. They have a real cheek still calling the band boyzone but then Out of Shape 30 Year Olds Who are Hard up for Cash doesn't have the same ring to it I suppose,

GDM wrote: »
    I take it Tommy Tiernan didn't go through with his promise in relation to Stephen Gately;)

I was flicking through channels and caught about 30 seconds of it. They have a real cheek still calling the band boyzone but then Out of Shape 30 Year Olds Who are Hard up for Cash doesn't have the same ring to it I suppose,

Ha, I saw a photo recently and Mikey looks like he's getting on a bit alright! Take That seemed to have aged a bit better.

Sure let them at it, if it works, fair play, if not, there's alway Celebrity Big Brother. (Or that Irish one that was on recently!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Surely that would be "Out of Shape 30 Year Olds Who are Hard up for Cash Zone"?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jayme101

Ha, I saw a photo recently and Mikey looks like he's getting on a bit alright! Take That seemed to have aged a bit better.

Sure let them at it, if it works, fair play, if not, there's alway Celebrity Big Brother. (Or that Irish one that was on recently!)

Take That aged beter? One of them looks like Keith Richards and has a pot holey face, Gary Barlow looks good when hes in his thin stage but has the abilty to blow up like a ballon after the tour and Mark always looks like he could do with a good wash :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

What was Tommy Tiernan going to do?

Beechman wrote: »
    What was Tommy Tiernan going to do?
    GDM.. a backstory would have been great as not everyone listens to Ray D'Arcy. He was on with Ray yesterday morning in front of a live audience in Vicar Street.

Tommy was asked which one of Boyzone he'd shag if he had no choice. He first said something like "who's the one whose married to Bertie's Ahern's daughter?" and then the audience corrected his that he was thinking of Westlife.

Then he realised who Boyzone were and said something like "ohh.. the Gately fellow. I'd shag him straight!" and was then told that he was on The Late Late Show with them tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Have to say Im very excited about it, I loved them as a child, even got detention in school for refusing to take off their headband, haha, itll be good to hear all the old songs....is this the new thing now, next we will have a WHAM reunion :D

halfinch wrote: »
    .. even got detention in school for refusing to take off their headband..
    Yeah, so did I. :(

Damn teachers and their dirty rules!

Yeah, so did I. :(

Damn teachers and their dirty rules!

:D

I'm going to seek out a student wearing something to do with their favourite band and give out to them just because I can!

I was more of a Boyzone watch girl myself, I remember vividly sitting at the kitchen table while my Dad filled in his credit card details so I could get this ridiculously overpriced watch.

Still isn't up on RTE website :( I may have to got watch their first appearance to get me through!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They did a (camp) medley of songs, acted a bit awkward to be honest and just discussed what they've done since.

If you can call myming "doing" :D.

I suppose to be far they have never ever played on TV without myming.

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    If you can call miming "doing" :D.

I suppose to be far they have never ever played on TV without miming.
    Fixed that for you! ;)

I suppose to be far they have never ever played on TV without myming.

Ronan and Stephen weren't miming the other 3 could have been though.

The performance is now on Youtube if you search for it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I suppose to be fair they have never ever played on TV without myming.

And that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Bonzone were so awful it was beyond believe, espically when compared to the likes of Take That, oh actually have a few good songs in thier catholog.
    Tommy was incredibly dissapointing, anyone looking for something really funny should have been tuned into Jimmy Carr live on c4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I saw em live in The Point as a child. Still remember Stephen coming down from the ceiling on a cord. Ah, they were amazing. I missed them on the Late Late but I don't think I'll go see them when they tour. Still praying that the Spice Girls will come to Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Damn us generation x'ers are screwed up. Tommy was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    Oh god did you see their little dance moves..*cringe*

Ah, I just found it on you tube! I'll just have to wait the ten minutes it takes to load (stupid crap broadband is crap in my place!) and then I'll be all smiley.

I saw the first few seconds, and I'm even more excited now! Sad, I know!

EDIT:

I still know all the words! Or I at least still know what I thought they were singing as a child! Keith looks like a bouncer! Mikey looks like my dad, but with less hair!

How are their ticket sales for the tour doing out of interest do you know? Doubt they'd sell out like Take That straight away.

• Advertisement

MayMay wrote: »
    How are their ticket sales for the tour doing out of interest do you know? Doubt they'd sell out like Take That straight away.

Probably not. Haven't a clue how the ticket sales are going but I doubt there's as much interest as there was about Take That. I'm not sure why really. I was never a Take That fan (I was too young I think and anyway, you either liked Take That or Boyzone. It was a rule!) but I think they are great now. My younger brother loves them too, and so does my Dad. They kind of appeal to all ages. It'll be interesting to see if Boyzone manage to do well out of this.

Did anyone notice all the screaming women in the audience? They still have some appeal!

EDIT:

200,000 tickets sold in the first 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jayme101 wrote: »
    Take That aged beter? One of them looks like Keith Richards and has a pot holey face, Gary Barlow looks good when hes in his thin stage but has the abilty to blow up like a ballon after the tour and Mark always looks like he could do with a good wash :rolleyes:

But musically on a different level to Boyzone, can't see them having the success Take That have enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Except for Mark Owen, who didn't age at all! I'm pretty sure he actually exists in a parallel universe which has no concept of time, and his presence on earth is just a manifestation of this timeless existance. Either that or he uses good moisturiser....

I didn't get to see Boyzone, but they must cringe every time they're referred to as that....... God how embaressing! They sold like a bazillion records, how could they possibly need any more money?! Did they gamble it all away or somethin?

"Yes, that's 1 trillion euros on 13."
    "Easy 8"
    "Drat."

edit:

Oh my god, I hadn't watched this in a long time, but was in tear for the last 4 minutes after watching their first appearance on TV:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2ZKhV6eKc

Gay was hilarious taking the p*ss out of them, but I forgot how.... extreme.... their dance moves were :eek: Dear god my sides are sore!

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Oh my god, I hadn't watched this in a long time, but was in tear for the last 4 minutes after watching their first appearance on TV:

Gay was hilarious taking the p*ss out of them, but I forgot how.... extreme.... their dance moves were :eek: Dear god my sides are sore!

Gay was hilarious but oh so wrong! He didn't believe they'd make it at all. I'm sure most didn't! Notice how the eejits who put the least effort into the dancing were dropped!

The best thing Boyzone ever did was their first (?) single, 'Working my way back to you'. Best video ever. Ronan was so embarrassed by it. I can't find it on You Tube anymore :(

I remember recording it years ago and every time I put it on I used to fast forward through an episode of Home and Away with Mr Fisher and Marilyn in it. Ah, the memories! Simpler times, I tell ya!

(If anyone could find their first video I'd be so grateful!)

You're scaring me Janeybabe...

Ah see Boyzone aren't as likeable....Ronan Keating is a dickhead...and they've all kind of been around anyway so they haven't let us miss them....unlike Take That who basically vanished so when they came back everyone remembered them from years ago....but with Boyzone it's like oh yeah Keith's been doing the TV rounds, Stephen's been on the west end, Shane has been on every reality show going and Ronan is like a bad smell and just won't go away. They should have disappeared (if only) and given it another few years, maybe then people would be more excited about them coming back.

By the way this is from a former Boyzone and Take That fan.

MayMay wrote: »
    You're scaring me Janeybabe...

Ah see Boyzone aren't as likeable....Ronan Keating is a dickhead...and they've all kind of been around anyway so they haven't let us miss them....unlike Take That who basically vanished so when they came back everyone remembered them from years ago....but with Boyzone it's like oh yeah Keith's been doing the TV rounds, Stephen's been on the west end, Shane has been on every reality show going and Ronan is like a bad smell and just won't go away. They should have disappeared (if only) and given it another few years, maybe then people would be more excited about them coming back.

By the way this is from a former Boyzone and Take That fan.

I never liked Ronan. Bit of a tool really. And I found it weird watching Kieran from Corrie/You're a Star presenter trying to dance and sing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DaveMcG wrote: »

I hadn't seen this video in a long time myself either. It's incredible to think how far they went after that appearance. How they weren't just laughed into oblivion I don't know. I guess it just shows how the Louis Walsh hype and publicity machine can triumph over adversity :mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I saw Louis Walsh buying westlife singles in Tower Records a few years ago.
    It's all hype generated by the record company etc buying up their sh1tty singles to get them a number 1 and ensure young girls switch their attention onto them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

...and twitchy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

met Keith Duffy last night, he's lovely.

he was MCing an event I was at, cracked jokes about how he was going to be making a bit of money oohing and aahing on soppy ballads :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I love how Ronan has stopped adding 'rrrrrrrrrrah!' to the end of every line he sings.

Mikey and Steve have had elocution!

• Advertisement

Looks like the ticket sales are going well for them though:

Irish Examiner -
    04 December 2007

Fans snap up 20,000 Boyzone tickets as Girls deliver the Spice
    By Conor Kane

ANY FEARS that Boyzone wouldn’t attract the masses at the second time of asking were laid to rest yesterday as fans bagged more than 20,000 tickets for next year’s Dublin show.

The tickets went on sale at 9am yesterday morning for the show in the RDS Arena on Saturday, June 28, next and, by late afternoon, promoters were jubilant about the response.

"It’s the equivalent of selling out three nights at the Point in a day," said Justin Green of promoters MCD. "It’s set to be one of the biggest comeback concerts of 2008."

Boyzone’s RDS date was confirmed during their recent appearance on the Late Late Show, and follows a one-off reunion for the BBC’s Children in Need telethon.

"It’s huge," said Mr Green. "They’re bigger now than they ever were."

Asked about the ticket prices for the RDS gig — the cheapest are €69.50 plus a €6.35 service charge —- he said that they weren’t proving a problem: "Not if 20,000 people snapped them up today."

The group — formed in 1994 by Louis Walsh as an Irish response to Take That —- enjoyed six number one hits in Britain during the ’90s.

Their last concert was at the Point in 2000 and, since then, some of them have launched solo careers with varying degrees of success, while Keith Duffy has enjoyed various acting roles, in shows such as Coronation Street and The Clinic.

"For a band that’s been away for seven years, to come back and, taking in that they’re also doing Belfast dates as well, it’s huge," said Justin Green.

The Belfast concerts take place on May 25 and 26 next year, in the Odyssey Arena, while concerts have also been pencilled in for London’s O2 Arena and Wembley Arena, Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield during next May and June. More than 100,000 tickets for the British concerts were sold on the first day of sale.

http://www.examiner.ie/story/ireland/eysneysncw/rss2/

At least its not another Samantha Mumba situation like many were predicting.

Jayme101 wrote: »
    Looks like the ticket sales are going well for them though:

Irish Examiner -
    04 December 2007

Fans snap up 20,000 Boyzone tickets as Girls deliver the Spice
    By Conor Kane

ANY FEARS that Boyzone wouldn’t attract the masses at the second time of asking were laid to rest yesterday as fans bagged more than 20,000 tickets for next year’s Dublin show.

The tickets went on sale at 9am yesterday morning for the show in the RDS Arena on Saturday, June 28, next and, by late afternoon, promoters were jubilant about the response.

"It’s the equivalent of selling out three nights at the Point in a day," said Justin Green of promoters MCD. "It’s set to be one of the biggest comeback concerts of 2008."

Boyzone’s RDS date was confirmed during their recent appearance on the Late Late Show, and follows a one-off reunion for the BBC’s Children in Need telethon.

"It’s huge," said Mr Green. "They’re bigger now than they ever were."

Asked about the ticket prices for the RDS gig — the cheapest are €69.50 plus a €6.35 service charge —- he said that they weren’t proving a problem: "Not if 20,000 people snapped them up today."

The group — formed in 1994 by Louis Walsh as an Irish response to Take That —- enjoyed six number one hits in Britain during the ’90s.

Their last concert was at the Point in 2000 and, since then, some of them have launched solo careers with varying degrees of success, while Keith Duffy has enjoyed various acting roles, in shows such as Coronation Street and The Clinic.

"For a band that’s been away for seven years, to come back and, taking in that they’re also doing Belfast dates as well, it’s huge," said Justin Green.

The Belfast concerts take place on May 25 and 26 next year, in the Odyssey Arena, while concerts have also been pencilled in for London’s O2 Arena and Wembley Arena, Cardiff, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle and Sheffield during next May and June. More than 100,000 tickets for the British concerts were sold on the first day of sale.

http://www.examiner.ie/story/ireland/eysneysncw/rss2/

At least its not another Samantha Mumba situation like many were predicting.

My sister got our tickets anyway. They were 75 euro including booking fee which I thought was a bit ridiculous but I'll go anyway. Bit of nostalgia, dont ya know!

janeybabe wrote: »
    My sister got our tickets anyway. They were 75 euro including booking fee which I thought was a bit ridiculous but I'll go anyway. Bit of nostalgia, dont ya know!

I'm going to the O2 Arena - (its a massive place) in london to see them, the first night sold out so quickly, luckily for me they added an extra night and I managed to get row 12. Cant wait!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

The cost of those tickets is ridiculous, I was going to go but I'll give it a miss now, Take That didn't even charge that much! Still ads on the radio so tickets can't be doing that well. No wonder!

SW81 wrote: »
    The cost of those tickets is ridiculous, I was going to go but I'll give it a miss now, Take That didn't even charge that much! Still ads on the radio so tickets can't be doing that well. No wonder!

Actually, I've heard they've been selling quite well. Don't think they're sold out, but I think they've sold a lot. And it's common practice to put ads on the radio right up until the gig.

I do think the price is a bit steep. The 75 euro includes the booking fee of course, but even without that they're a bit pricey.

I think its because its an outside gig and they are more expensive apparently. Westlife tickets are the same price for Croke Park. It also depends on what the venue charges to hire out, they will set the price of the tickets accordingly. The price of the UK concerts are far cheaper as are the Belfast shows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement