Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Football, who wins?

Options
  • 24-11-2007 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm just watching the start of Boise State -v- Hawaii on NASN, and just before the game started I was delighted to see the quick highlights of LSU lose to Arkansas in 3rd overtime (:D)

So they drop down the rankings, who gets to play in the BCS title game now? If kansas win out, they go there but who follows? If Hawaii win out, would it be unfair not to, it's been such a topsy-turvy season that if they manage to be 1 of 2 undefeated teams they should be there (they won't though...)

What say ye???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

I think Hawaii definitely have the talent to knock off a Top 10 team on their day. It doesn't alter the reality that their schedule hurts their case.

Saw the highlights of the Arkansas/LSU game. It looks like McFadden might pip the Heisman on a late surge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Been watching college ball a while now (I have NASN for baseball) and I still cant make head or tail of who the hell is winning. I know its all todo with votes but its wrecks me head some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

BigDragon wrote: »
    Been watching college ball a while now (I have NASN for baseball) and I still cant make head or tail of who the hell is winning. I know its all todo with votes but its wrecks me head some days.

Ya it's all to do with polls... There are a few out there, the associated press and the coaches polls are the biggest... Up until a few years ago there was no actual game to decide the national champion of college football, instead it was based on the polls... Then they came up with the BCS (Bowl Championship Series) whereby the top few bowl games became these super-elite bowl games (rose bowl, fiesta bowl, sugar bowl & orange bowl) and the winner of one of these games (it rotated every year from 1998 (when it started) to 2006) was the national champion...

Starting last year an extra game was added to the BCS - the BCS Championship Game, which served as the final of the college football season... There is now a BCS poll, which is figured out by mixing the human polls with some computer stuff.. The top 2 in this poll play in the national championship game...

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Basically looks like West Virginia against Missouri at this stage but I still think Ohio State will end up in that game. As for the Heisman, it's Tim Tebow's to lose. Don't know if you saw the first (or one of the first episodes) of two a days at Hoover High on MTV but he was the opposition teams quarterback and he was massive. His arm even then was scary. He's a deserving winner although he'll have to play the Bowl final with a broken hand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I think that the BCS is a pretty stupid system-there is plenty of debate stateside around the need for playoffs in College Football-they have them at every other division outside 1-A.

Say Mizzou lose tonight-who plays for the National title?

WVU and OSU?

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think that the BCS is a pretty stupid system-there is plenty of debate stateside around the need for playoffs in College Football-they have them at every other division outside 1-A.

Say Mizzou lose tonight-who plays for the National title?

WVU and OSU?

Well West Virginia & Mizzou both lost... No.1 & 2 gone, what now? BCS standings will be released in a couple of hours, i reckon it'll be Ohio State & LSU... Which sucks, Ohio get there by not playing, and LSU? Ugh.. Lousy on Hawaii that they won't even be considered, despite the fact they're the only perfect team...

Stupid system, at this stage a playoff sounds perfect... It'll never happen though, what'll happen to the bowl games??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dulpit wrote: »
    Stupid system, at this stage a playoff sounds perfect... It'll never happen though, what'll happen to the bowl games??

They'll act as qualifiers. Remember this is only the second year of the BCS bowl, and only about 10 years into the BCS championship at all. Every year the calls for a tournament grow and grow.

Anyway here's the main bowl schedule

Jan. 7 BCS Title - Ohio State vs. LSU
    Jan. 3 Orange - Virginia Tech vs. Kansas
    Jan. 2 Fiesta - Oklahoma vs. West Virginia
    Jan. 1 Rose - Southern California vs. Illinois
    Jan. 1 Sugar -Georgia vs. Hawaii

Missouri drop out totally. Glad to see Hawaii get the call. Illinois sneak in through the back door.

Dodge wrote: »
    Jan. 7 BCS Title - Ohio State vs. LSU
    Jan. 3 Orange - Virginia Tech vs. Kansas
    Jan. 2 Fiesta - Oklahoma vs. West Virginia
    Jan. 1 Rose - Southern California vs. Illinois
    Jan. 1 Sugar -Georgia vs. Hawaii

A 2 loss team in the BCS game, while Kansas have only 1 loss, and Hawaii have none at all? Brilliant system to come up with this... Also, Missouri are ranked 6 by the BCS, but because of the rules that state a conference only has 2 entrants, they miss out while Illinois (9-3) get in...

Silly system, needs a playoff now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

The Kansas and Hawaii schedules hurt them, i.e. not as strong as those faced by other ranked teams (but you could make the same argument about OSU's......)

Hawaii are in a much weaker picture because they are not in a BCS Conference and winning their conference doesn't automatically entitle you to a BCS Bowl bid (e.g winners of Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC and Big East qualify). They were supposed to play Michigan State this year until Michigan State paid $250k to pull out of their trip to Honolulu. So they only played one ranked team all year (Boise State, who are in the same non-BCS conference....but won a BCS Bowl last year).

Even though Kansas are in the Big 12, they only played 2 ranked teams all year-then 24 ranked Kansas State (who went into freefall thereafter......) and Mizzou, who beat them by 12 a couple of weeks ago.

So strength of schedule has a lot to do with. But 'strength' is somewhat subjective as it depends on rankings, which are.......completely subjective.

On balance, I think they came close enough to 1 v 2. If USC had lost to a 'better' team than Stanford, that could have put them in. LSU had 2 triple OT losses against 'quality' opposition which gave them the edge over other 2 loss teams (along with their wins against the likes of VaTech, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn and the fact they are SEC Champs....). If Dennis Dixon hadn't got injured, then Oregon may have won out and it would have had a great shot at No. 1.

I think it's harsh that Mizzou miss out altogether. I think that Hawaii gets a great chance to prove it was worthy by playing Georgia.

Anyway, it's a shame that the BCS Championship game is on 1am on a 'school' night. Still plenty of great gambling opportunities along the way .

Advertisement