Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Still not blown away by This generation?

• 24-11-2007 5:06am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, I've played Gears of War on 360 and graphically, it's supposed to be amoung the best on the system. However I'm not getting blown away this generation, graphics wise, as I did with the previous one of the PS2 and Gamecube etc.

Games like Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 2, Okami, Ico, Devil May Cry were a million miles ahead of anything on n64 or PS1.

I'm just not getting the same buzz from what I've seen with the 360 and PS3. (I won't include Wii, Nintendo never intended to go with raw power with it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Simi

Try Bioshock, the Orange Box, Assassins Creed etc. All very pretty games & far more engrossing than anything on the last "generation" of consoles. Although being a PC gamer games constantly evolve graphically so I don't buy into this whole "generation" thing.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Have 2 of those ordered. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

CoD 4 is pretty nice looking..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

With each new generation it will be harder to "upgrade" graphically on before. With games getting more and more realistic, theres only a certain amount of realism programmers can bring before it is life like.

PS4 and xBox720 graphics wont be a hell of a lot better then current consoles. I'm sure they will offer a lot more from the "home entertainment system" perspective though.

Eventually I would predict more people protesting against all new games as it will be too realistic for little Johnny to blow off someones head with a shotgun. That opens a whole new can of worms though/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

jayteecork wrote: »
    Just wondering, I've played Gears of War on 360 and graphically, it's supposed to be amoung the best on the system. However I'm not getting blown away this generation, graphics wise, as I did with the previous one of the PS2 and Gamecube etc.

Games like Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 2, Okami, Ico, Devil May Cry were a million miles ahead of anything on n64 or PS1.

I'm just not getting the same buzz from what I've seen with the 360 and PS3. (I won't include Wii, Nintendo never intended to go with raw power with it)

Just wondering, but do you have a HDTV to play the 360 on? The diffence between a standard telly and a HD telly is huge IMO. Personally, I'll say that yes, this generation has impressed me. Games like COD4, Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed could never have been pulled off so stylishly on the previous generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Does it matter what that much what the graphics are like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

zabbo wrote: »

Not really but some games are terrible.. I think graphics makes the game in alot of cases.. One example though of a game with ****e graphics everyone plays would be counter-strike!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

zabbo wrote: »
    Well look at games like Condemned or Bioshock where graphics are used to create extremely atmospheric levels. That's been the big breakthrough this generation and it's allowed us to become immersed in a game like never before.

That's what really jumped out at me about Halo 3, even though the graphics look great on the surface, the levels have none of the atmosphere we've come to expect from other games this generation. The flood level near the end is a good example of this, the level should be frightening but instead it just feels bland and annoying.

So I do think graphics are important but it depends how they're used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

jayteecork wrote: »

Most of those games are late gen games, when the developers have had years to get used to the system.
    Try comparing early PS2 games to late PS1 and you won't find much difference.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I guess I was hoping Gears of War would have blown me away the way Resident Evil 4 did, especially considering that GamesTM gave it a rare 10/10, whereas they gave Resident Evil 4 9/10.
    However Gamecube Resident Evil 4 is a better game in almost every department, and I include graphics there.
    In fact, my estimation of GamesTM has gone down considerably since they I've played Gears and also that I've noticed that they gave Mario Galaxy 9/10 without giving a good reason why they shouldn't have given it 10.

I've ordered Bioshock - They gave that 10/10 too, and if that's bollocks I'm not buying a copy of their magazine again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If the current crop of games on the various consoles, PS3, 360, Wii, DS doesn't move you as a gamer, then give up, sell your games machines and take up tapestry or something.

There has never, ever been such a great time for gamers, regardless of format, so many great games, this is the new golden age, The Orange Box, Assassins Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, Mass Effect, PGR4, Call of Duty 4, Ratchet and Clank, Drakes Fortune, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, and thats just the ones I can remember right now.

Seriously, get out of the hobby if the fantastic games range now available leaves you cold, we've never had it so good.

Advertisement