Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seized nuts and bolts.Help required.

Options
  • 24-11-2007 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any advice for tackling corroded nuts and bolts? I was intending to bleed the brake hydraulics on my old passat but the bleed nipples on the front brakes are completely seized and I've had no joy using common penetrating fluids like WD 40. Does anyone know a particularly effective penetrating oil? I have a similar problem when trying to top with transmission oil. Unfortunately I've damaged the hexagonal nut at this stage and rounded the edges. Any savvy people have tips? Not sure if I want to be heating the affected areas. Brake pedal is quite spongy so its a job I'd like to get done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

job for a pro, leave it alone mate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Alias G wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice for tackling corroded nuts and bolts? I was intending to bleed the brake hydraulics on my old passat but the bleed nipples on the front brakes are completely seized and I've had no joy using common penetrating fluids like WD 40. Does anyone know a particularly effective penetrating oil? I have a similar problem when trying to top with transmission oil. Unfortunately I've damaged the hexagonal nut at this stage and rounded the edges. Any savvy people have tips? Not sure if I want to be heating the affected areas. Brake pedal is quite spongy so its a job I'd like to get done.

Some times impact sockets are handy as they grip the bolt on 6 sides, and not the corners of it.... some times even a bolt with the corners rounded on it can be removed with an impact socket.... you should pick up a rail of these fairly cheaply and they are practically indestructible.

As for the bleed nuts, go with care on these, as they have a hole drilled down the center are quite brittle...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

job for a pro, leave it alone mate

what he said!

a spongy pedal could be more than air in the system; bring it to a pro who knows what he's doin!

Advertisement