Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road biking to MTB?

Options
  • 24-11-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have only ever gone road biking for exercise really and don't do much more than ~60-70km on a trip. However, I don't really see a lot of development for road bikers like proper bike lanes and so on outside of Dublin and Cork.

But, I do see that there are developments for good MTB tracks. So, would it be a big change to get into MTB instead? It seems a bit more expensive, maybe there is more wear on the bike, but that's not an issue really.

Does anyone here do both? I really have no experience in MTB at all, and I only cycle the road bike for pleasure/personal challenge (!) rather than groups or racing.

A good idea? Would €1000-1500 set you up with a reasonably good basic MTB and gear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

€1000-€1500 would get you set up nicely. I'd strongly advise you to go 2nd hand to begin with and for €1500 you could get a real nice bike. Have a look in the for sale section of the forum over on www.mtbireland.com. If you already have road cycling gear such as leggings etc then you shouldn't have to fork out much to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ye youd get a nice full bounce for a grand second hand...good time to buy too, with the new leagues round the corner we should see the sponsored lads sellin when the get new rigs!!!
    enjoy riding, its a great time of year for it, howth is a decent place for starting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bikergal

Hi Pete,

I have been a road biker for a few years, I took up mtb a few weeks ago and love it. I have to admit that i am a total wuss, but love it and am getting better with every spin. Its so nice to be able to exercise without the noise or pollution of traffic and the views are breadthtaking. I got an excellent second hand trek for 500 quid, dics brakes, front suspension. You will be able to get a great bike on your budget.

Advertisement