Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Humour-What is it??

Options
  • 24-11-2007 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

just wondering what people would define Irish humour as?are we unique in our humour, are we special?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

well i hope people dont think irish humour is whats on the tv eg stew, dan and bec etc. they're all sh!te. What i'd define irish humour as an old culty sitting in a bar telling a good long joke that every laughs at. I know just that type of man and he is brilliant on night outs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

giving and taking a good slagging would be one component

• Registered Users Posts: 14,099 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ya, comedy on other peoples misery is a big thing i've noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

If Irish humor was defined by RTE sitcoms or most(not all) irish stand up comedians, this country would be a very depressing place to live.

The Irish are not especially funny, we like to think we are. but we're not.

Anybody can tell a joke in a pub or wherever to make a woman laugh(thats easy women laugh at the simplest things).

but in general we(the irish) take things in good humor by not taking ourselves to seriously.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ya, comedy on other peoples misery is a big thing i've noticed.

As Mel Brooks (not Irish) said.
    'Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. '
    comedy on other peoples misery is universal

sarcasm isn't and we use a LOT of it

all nations/groups like to think they can laugh at themselves - in my completely biased opinion we score very highly there

• Advertisement
Advertisement