Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric shower on the blink

Options
  • 24-11-2007 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

i've a triton ts 90.

it's up full blast, and the water's just warm.

i guess i need to call someone out, how much should this cost, does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

I'm no expert but some possible causes:

Water entering is very cold (weather?)
    Water pressure too high (unlikely)
    Element is covered in limescale -you may be able to fix this yourself

I suggest that a call to Triton (UK?) might be a better starting point, and it wont cost much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Triton are based in Maynooth and you should find them in the Golden Pages. Windsurfer sounds correct reguarding limescale buildup in the element. There's a bit of work in that removing and descaling the element.
    If you search back on this forum you'll find a few more posts on Triton showers and possible solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

i had this problem recently and had to strip down and clean out the heater tank on my triton t90. its a bit of a job and took me about two hours in total. i did it in situ but you are better off removing the shower altogether. to clean it out i just left a mixture of water and lime scale remover(cillit bag grime and lime) in the heater for half an hour.
    as i said its a bit of a messy job but i bet if you got a plumber in he'll recommend replacing the shower alltogether which will not be cheap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How old is your current shower? If you have it a long time then you might be better off in the long run to replace it with another. If you get another Triton the plumbing/wiring connections will be in the same places which will make the job easier/less costly. If you go down the road of replacing parts on an old unit you may find that in a few months another component will fail adding further expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

crosstownk wrote: »
    How old is your current shower? If you have it a long time then you might be better off in the long run to replace it with another. If you get another Triton the plumbing/wiring connections will be in the same places which will make the job easier/less costly. If you go down the road of replacing parts on an old unit you may find that in a few months another component will fail adding further expense.

you might be right

• Advertisement

ok, we got a quote for €400 for a new triton t90si, with instalation.

been reading a few posts on here, seems some folk reckon they're easy enough to replace.

is this true?

any advice on replacing em appriciated

There's not really a whole lot to it. Just switch off the electricity at the main fuse board first. The tank in your attic should have a dedicated supply for the shower and may or may not have a stop valve on this pipe to turn off the water. If it has no tap then you will have to drain the tank. Aside from that it's more or less a straight swap.

crosstownk wrote: »
    There's not really a whole lot to it. Just switch off the electricity at the main fuse board first. The tank in your attic should have a dedicated supply for the shower and may or may not have a stop valve on this pipe to turn off the water. If it has no tap then you will have to drain the tank. Aside from that it's more or less a straight swap.

thanks for feedback crosstownk, not too up on these things...

couple of questions...

how do i know what pipe is dedicated to my shower?

where's the stop valve usualy located, and if there's none, how do you drain a tank?

after you've done that, it's just a case of unscrewing the old one, and replacing with the new one....

thanks

alienhead wrote: »

how do i know what pipe is dedicated to my shower?

It will usually run from the tank in the attic to directly above the shower. If you're in any doubt just drain the tank.
    alienhead wrote:
    where's the stop valve usualy located, and if there's none, how do you drain a tank?

If there is a valve, it will be in-line on the pipe that feeds the shower. If not, either a) locate the main water valve for your house and turn it off or b) tie up the ballcock in the attic. After you do either a or b then run the cold water taps for the bath and any upstairs sinks. Let them run and run and eventually the tank in the attic will empty
    alienhead wrote:
    after you've done that, it's just a case of unscrewing the old one, and replacing with the new one....

I replaced my T90 and everything was just a straight swap.

Have a good look at everything before deciding whether or not to do it yourself. If you don't feel comfortable with the whole thing then just call an electrician. If you reckon you're up to the job, then just head to Woodies (or similar) and buy a new shower.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=1420&loc=P&catid=5.2.2

thanks for feedback dude.

tbh, will prob fork out the €120 to pro, electricty and water...... scary :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement