Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good news for Ireland - James McCarthy

• 24-11-2007 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1294148,00.html
    A 17-year-old footballer from Scotland is attracting serious attention from clubs like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea and Liverpool.

James McCarthy talks to SkyJames McCarthy, who currently plays for Scottish First Division side Hamilton Academical is considered one of the hottest talents in British football.

Such is the midfielder's growing reputation that elite clubs from Europe are now dispatching scouts here on a weekly basis.

"Every week there are up to 25 clubs that send scouts to look at him, from Barcelona to Liverpool, from Real Madrid to Arsenal," says Accies manager Billy Reid.

"The boy has everything, pace, power, stamina, he's two-footed and he runs forever. It's no exaggeration to say he's up there with the best in the country."

McCarthy made his first team debut for Hamilton at the age of 15 and has since clocked up more than 40 senior appearances.

A glittering array of clubs want his signature, but his international future has already been sorted. Scotland somehow let McCarthy slip through the net, but the Republic of Ireland didn't.

With two grandparents from County Donegal, family links to Ireland are strong. He made his under-17 debut against Italy, just weeks after his grandfather had passed away.

"I always used to watch Ireland matches with grandad, they were his team and it was his dream that I play for Ireland," said the teenager.

Top clubs showing interest"I was so proud to pull on that jersey and I just hope he was up there looking down on me."

The step up to international football has been taken in his stride, with two goals last week as the Irish under-18s beat Germany.

Ireland youth manager Sean McCaffrey says he has the potential to become a great player, but his next move is vital.

"There's no question James has all the attributes needed to become a top player," McCaffrey told Sky News.

"He can look after himself in a tough division and he has been playing there since he was 15. He's special but his next career move is very important."

McCarthy's midfield dominance has helped Hamilton climb to the top of the First Division. It seems club and player can look forward to a massive year ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Class :D

Will keep an eye out for this lad. Always good to see us snapping up good players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Tonnes of threads about him already I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I played against him about two years back(before he made his first team debut) in a tournament in Newcastle. He was the best player I have ever played against by a mile. He played on the wing and it was near impossible to stop him. We ended up getting beat 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

What midfield position does he play for his club? (fingers crossed it's the right...)

He might play in the middle now..... I hope he plays there as we need some creativity.

Duff McCarthy Garvan Hunt

Ireland

• Advertisement

Hunt-McCarthy-Garvan-Hoolahan

Fixed.

Lol Hoolahan. He is a nice player but never would I rely on the guy.

We need Duff in the team...ok he is not the Duff of 5 years ago, but he is still our most devestating player. 2010 will be his last tournament I think.

Lol Hoolahan. He is a nice player but never would I rely on the guy.

We need Duff in the team...ok he is not the Duff of 5 years ago, but he is still our most devestating player. 2010 will be his last tournament I think.

Whats your experience of Wes? Have you seen him much?

A few Shelbourne matches, and the odd game for Blackpool. If he gets to the Premier League(I would like to see him in Spain) and he does well then I would like him in the squad, but scoring a few free kicks for Blackpool is not that great.

A few Shelbourne matches, and the odd game for Blackpool. If he gets to the Premier League(I would like to see him in Spain) and he does well then I would like him in the squad, but scoring a few free kicks for Blackpool is not that great.

Fair enough. You do realise he does slightly more than "score a few free-kicks"? I don't even think he scores that many free-kicks to be honest.

Its strange that you say he'd have to get to the Premier League yet you have Owen Garvan and McCarthy in the midfield you mentioned...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wes Hoolihan is the new Richie Partridge on here. The peoples hero.:)

Garvan and McCarthy are much younger than Hoolihan. Hoolihan is 23 or around that age.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Wes Hoolihan is the new Richie Partridge on here. The peoples hero.:)

Damn right! Slightly more ability though.
    Garvan and McCarthy are much younger than Hoolihan. Hoolihan is 23 or around that age.

He's 25 actually, coming towards his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. Hoolihan is 23 or around that age.

http://www.blackpoolfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10432~30445,00.html

Turned 25 in May.

Wow. He is obviously not an International player, 25 is too old.....he reminds me of a sort of Jason Koumas player, but not as good in my opinion.

Just to add I think he should be in the squad..but starting on the left is pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

well im sure McCarthy will fall out with Don Givins at some stage and swear he will never play for his country again!

Actually is it still possible he could play for Scotland? I would be suprised if he is not just thrown on in some game to ensure he does not change his mind.

Does anybody remember when Martin Jol said Mark Yeates would be the next Gasgoigne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yeah I think isn't it a case of the U-17's don't mean **** when it comes to picking what country you want to represent at senior level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wow. He is obviously not an International player, 25 is too old.....he reminds me of a sort of Jason Koumas player, but not as good in my opinion.

Just to add I think he should be in the squad..but starting on the left is pushing it.

25 is too old for someone to start internationally? Yet again you're talking through your hoop. Yeah let's dismiss a guy based on age. Whether he's 25 or 35 Hoolihan is one of few in form Irish midfielders and deserves a chance.

• Advertisement

You cannot possibly tell me that Hoolihan should get into the Irish team. There is no place for him..he simply is not good enough.

People like McGeady are above him in the pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You cannot possibly tell me that Hoolihan should get into the Irish team. There is no place for him..he simply is not good enough.

And Kilbane, Carsley et al are? Ok look through the Premiership and list me the midfielders who should be playing and aren't injured. Stephen Reid and Stephen Hunt. After that you hit the Championship - Andy Reid, Owen Garvan and Wes Houlihan. He deserves to be there or there abouts and certainly given a start in a friendly.

Kilbane is better.probably not the skill level of Hoolihan, but more powerful.

Carsley is a limited player, but he has more use than him.

Yeah I'm all for putting him on in some friendly, if he does well then get him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Another foreign player able to play for Ireland, YESSSSSSSSS.:rolleyes:

Advertisement