Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat - Speedometer not working?

Options
  • 24-11-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,

The speedometer on my 02 VW Passat stopped working recently. Wont budge off zero, also the fuel gauge is acting strange. I have half a tank of fuel but for no reason when im driving the gauge drops into the red, refill warning light comes on then immediately back up to the correct reading. If it was just the speedometer I would say the sensor is gone, but the fuel gauge?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Possibly a fuse i would say, not too sure which one if would be though, check the fusebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I doubt it's a fuse. More likely to be a fault in the instrument cluster. It's also possible that you have two independent faults - one with the speedo sender and another with the fuel tank sender. You'll need to have the instrument cluster fault memory read. The proper diagnostic equipment can also do what is called "final control diagnosis" which will operate each gauge direct from the diagnostic machine - this will certainly determine whether or not your speedo fault lies in the cluster or is at the speed sender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Funny thing happened to me with an opel corsa - driving down the country one day - speedo failed - thought the speedo cable snapped - then noticed the power steering wasn't working aswell - went loooking for a speedo cable and was told it was a speed sensor and the car had no speedo cable - so I bought the speed sensor fited it - nothing still the same.

Went back out to an opel garage on a sat evening and there was just a bloke on the service desk closing up, told him the problem - he asked me did I use a phone charger (???) then he handed me a 15amp fuse and told me to put it in the cigarette light fuse (which was blown) and hey presto speedo - powersteering and most important cigarette light back to normal.

Modern Technology??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

he asked me did I use a phone charger (???)

So many phone charger adapters are the wrong size causing short circuits in the cig lighter. Very common fault.

Advertisement