Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a comfortable/reliable car

Options
  • 24-11-2007 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello there,
    I am looking for a car for my parents. The main things that they are looking for as they are getting older is comfort and reliability. The car however will still be used for towing trailers so it will need to have a nice bit of power still. Their budget is around the 11500 mark, can anyone recommend a car?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

Right, here is a few more details to refine it down#;
    • Less than 80000 miles
    • Economical, so either up to 1.6 petrol or 2.0 diesel
    • Not very long, only mostly the 2 of them using it
    • Comfort, has to be easy to get in and out
    • Reliability: Something along the lines of Honda/Toyota reliability
    • Not too old: At least 2003

Would a 03 primera suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

They don't come more reliable than this :D:D:D:D:D http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=820027

Plenty of power All wheel drive and a towbar. And you don't need to spend too much. Only selling because I have a newer version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Right, here is a few more details to refine it down#;
    • Less than 80000 miles
    • Economical, so either up to 1.6 petrol or 2.0 diesel
    • Not very long, only mostly the 2 of them using it
    • Comfort, has to be easy to get in and out
    • Reliability: Something along the lines of Honda/Toyota reliability
    • Not too old: At least 2003
    Would a 03 primera suit?

Any ole Jap yoke I suppose.

Mazda 6 http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=758489

They would be moreso looking at a garage car, not a private sale...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Toyota Aygo 2.0 Turbo Diesel

FX Meister wrote: »
    Toyota Aygo 2.0 Turbo Diesel

Just had a look at your other posts, WOW, you are some comedian...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wonder will he shout FACT soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Hello there,
    I am looking for a car for my parents. The main things that they are looking for as they are getting older is comfort and reliability. The car however will still be used for towing trailers so it will need to have a nice bit of power still. Their budget is around the 11500 mark, can anyone recommend a car?

Cheers.

would they need the pulling power in order to pull a horsebox or a cattle trailer , if so , sounds like they will be toeing quite a bit

or will they be toeing the likes of a caravan and only occasionally need toeing capability

if its the former , then it sounds like there the kind of people who would want a vw , possibly a 5 yr old passatt or a younger golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Avensis or Accord, probably the Avnesis tho owing to smaller engines being available. Fine cars, can't go wrong with them really. 1.6 is a bit underpowered but fine for most people.

Primera would be #3 on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Last of the old shape Avensis D-4D's would be a good bet. They're called the Luna model and will have auto aircon, alloys, fogs etc. The engine is the 116bhp engine that was in the new model until last year, there's plenty of power as the older model is a good bit lighter than the new one. Toyota dealers will give a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty and 12 months Eurocare roadside assistance, so plenty of peace of mind there.

Re: primera, the gearboxes on the 1.6 models are a weak point, so not recommended for towing, and the diesel is 2.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Eh Zod. Thats an 01 E class merc. Hardly the defenition of relability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

groupb wrote: »
    Eh Zod. Thats an 01 E class merc. Hardly the defenition of relability.

You got there before me,shocking by all reports from a few family members!

Which is better the Opel Meriva or the Honda Civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The meriva is excellent for space but its based on the old corsa so watch out. the old honda civic was an excellent car in my opinion but not that exciting.The vtec petrol engines are sweet. For longivity go for the civic

Anan1 wrote: »
    I wonder will he shout FACT soon.

No, he won't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Which is better the Opel Meriva or the Honda Civic?
    You're probably thinking the Meriva vs the '01-'06 5-dr Civic? Civic, tho the Meriva is a helluva lot better than the Agila which it kind of replaces but doesn't.

they're still selling the Agila.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What about a BMW 316 circa 2001-2002? Smashing car, reliable, comfortable and nice pull on them.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=784028

newer BMW's aren't exactly known for being bullet proof, if something goes wrong or it needs servicing it'll be expensive. the OP's parents want something reliable rather than a badge, which is about all a 316i will offer. It's woefully underpowered for a 1.9 litre car.
    That car is UK reg and needs VRT to be paid.

• Advertisement

Your right about the badge, they don't want anything flashy. The Honda Civic seems to be the car at the moment, anyone know about how supportive the seats are?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭jack_pearse

I will be selling my 02 corolla soon, the car that set the mark for reliability. 43000 miles, my Dad had it before me.
    Not trying to sell you mine but we've been buying corollas for years in our household and you will never get a more reliable car...even though they are a bit boring, but it is for your folks right ;) Can't beat the Japanese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

dlofnep wrote: »
    What about a BMW 316 circa 2001-2002? Smashing car, reliable, comfortable and nice pull on them.

A car with the power of a 1.6 but the fuel economy and tax of a 1.9? OP don't go for a 316i.

Avensis diesel without a doubt, since you say the car will be towing. The 1.8 actually uses less fuel than the 1.6(assuming they're VVTi models) occording to the official figures, so don't dismiss a 1.8(plus the fact that 1.8s have a far higher spec count than 1.6's too)

I find the Civic hatchbacks more comfy and roomy than the saloons,

dlofnep wrote: »

Nice pull on a 316? Really?

FX Meister wrote: »
    Nice pull on a 316? Really?
    Yep, chicks dig Beemers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

VW Passat Tdi

I used to own one, they're excellent.
    Great comfortable, reliable car with plenty of power (130BHP).
    You can easily pick up a 2001 model for 8k.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Octavia? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

A mondeo zetec.loads of space, Bullet proof , capable of huge mileages without problems and should , in the unlikely event , anything does go wrong , ford prices are reasonable. I've had two high milage mondeos and one new passat and I know if I wanted a car that was dependable it I'd choose a mondeo every time. A friends company has a 01 zetec 1.8 petrol with over 200,000Miles and it has'nt missed a beat. My mondeo estate had a towbar and was "all the car you would ever need".I had to sell it when it when I got a new job with a 07 passat 140TDI as a company car.This s***box broke my heart and I quickly became familar with courtesy cars , while it underwent various repairs.According to the various towtruck drivers I've spoken to , the passat (both old & new model) forms a substantial part of their business.The only time they see a mondeo is at the scene of a crash.

• Advertisement

groupb wrote: »
    A mondeo zetec.loads of space, Bullet proof , capable of huge mileages without problems and should , in the unlikely event , anything does go wrong , ford prices are reasonable. I've had two high milage mondeos and one new passat and I know if I wanted a car that was dependable it I'd choose a mondeo every time. A friends company has a 01 zetec 1.8 petrol with over 200,000Miles and it has'nt missed a beat. My mondeo estate had a towbar and was "all the car you would ever need".I had to sell it when it when I got a new job with a 07 passat 140TDI as a company car.This s***box broke my heart and I quickly became familar with courtesy cars , while it underwent various repairs.According to the various towtruck drivers I've spoken to , the passat (both old & new model) forms a substantial part of their business.The only time they see a mondeo is at the scene of a crash.

Passat in "not as good as people make out" shocker!

Advertisement