Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good or bad is Digiweb Metro

Options
  • 24-11-2007 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have been a customer of Digiweb for the past 8-10 years under various hosting accounts and I've always been a big fan. Over the past 2 years, Digiweb has exploded and it's a great tribute to them to see how fast they have grown now with a new datacentre etc. I've only ever had issues with accounts and billing and for these issues I've always gone to the top and got them fixed within hours.

Now, I'm in a very rural part of Kells (Meath) and I'm now in the market for a new BB provider following a few issues with Net1 and some bad feedback regarding Zone Broadband. So, I'm going to start talking to Digiweb regarding a broadband connection, and I was just looking to see what feedback was out there please? Sadily, our exchange is not broadband enabled so wireless is the only option.

Any constructive feedback on Metro would be great.

Best Regards,
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Metro used to be an absolute pile of crap. But its now turned into the single best connection I have ever had. Since their troubles were fixed over a year ago, its been absolutely fantastic, and I am at the maximum range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't, and have never, used Digiweb Metro, but I have a few friends who do. They have nothing bad to say about it, works perfectly, VOIP going, speeds never let them down.

The only thing going against them, and this really depends on what kind of user you are, is their cap implementation. Digiweb enforce the cap strictly, which is probably why their service works so reliable, nobody does the dog on it and gets away with it. The cap is also a rolling 30-day cap, which means it never resets to 0 at the start of a month, it's always calculated on the last 30 days usage.

If you take it easy on the downloads you'll be fine. It certainly seems to be the best of the wireless services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies, however due to coverage I'm going to stay with the current setup for now - i.e. Net1.

Could be worse :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Jumpy wrote: »
    Metro used to be an absolute pile of crap. But its now turned into the single best connection I have ever had. Since their troubles were fixed over a year ago, its been absolutely fantastic, and I am at the maximum range.

I believe those were Dublin-specific troubles, even limited to a certain area of the city.

Here in Limerick I've never experienced anything other than the best broadband connection. There are occasional outages, but probably less downtime than the college network in UL. In fact, I often get better download speeds at home on it, because in UL, despite the super-fast connection, we get to use flakey proxy servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

jor el wrote: »
    The cap is also a rolling 30-day cap, which means it never resets to 0 at the start of a month, it's always calculated on the last 30 days usage.

If you take it easy on the downloads you'll be fine. It certainly seems to be the best of the wireless services.

i find the 30 day rolling cap a revelation! i break or come close to breaking quota i dont have to wait till a specific date to be able to use it since your dl amount will naturally drop over a few days.

i have found it so easy to manage this once the first 30 days was up, and i would hammer the downloads and online games quite a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

With services that do end of month reset, all users have slower speed at begining of month and higher speed as month progress as the "heavy hitters" use up their cap (other Companies). The Digiweb rolling cap means the "very heavy users" spread out their consumption (over 30 days rather than 5, 10 or 15) and everyone has reduced contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Zoney wrote: »
    I believe those were Dublin-specific troubles, even limited to a certain area of the city.

Here in Limerick I've never experienced anything other than the best broadband connection. There are occasional outages, but probably less downtime than the college network in UL. In fact, I often get better download speeds at home on it, because in UL, despite the super-fast connection, we get to use flakey proxy servers.

Im also limerick based, the troubles were here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Used Metro for a few years in work, rarely any problems (as long as you watch the cap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

watty wrote: »
    With services that do end of month reset, all users have slower speed at begining of month and higher speed as month progress as the "heavy hitters" use up their cap (other Companies). The Digiweb rolling cap means the "very heavy users" spread out their consumption (over 30 days rather than 5, 10 or 15) and everyone has reduced contention.

OK,
    From a networking point of view, does anyone know what software/hardware digiweb are using to achieve this level of rolling cap management?

Would you think it's in-house or commercially obtained?

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

jleavy wrote: »
    OK,
    From a networking point of view, does anyone know what software/hardware digiweb are using to achieve this level of rolling cap management?

Would you think it's in-house or commercially obtained?

Joe

Digiweb are also a software house - nearly everytihng they do is (rightly) in-house..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Metro is not available in Kells unfortunately. Only the 3.7Ghz service which I find ok. Better than it was a year ago anyway.

Advertisement