Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband.

• 24-11-2007 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Just wandering is it possible to get broadband out around glwndine, down the ballyfoile road just before the new Bridge. not wirless broadband now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The only way to be certain really is to check with Eircom or whoever. I've heard stories of some people being able to get broadband but their neighbours not being able to because they're just that bit too far away from the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yes it is. I live a good bit further out the ballyfoyle road and I have 2mbit dsl. But like Firetrap said it may not be available on a particular line due to the spectacular crapness of eircom's network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey Plug-
    You can check your phone line for BB probability on the Imag!ne website.
    Link here
    Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Stephen wrote: »
    Yes it is. I live a good bit further out the ballyfoyle road and I have 2mbit dsl. But like Firetrap said it may not be available on a particular line due to the spectacular crapness of eircom's network.
    Which crowd are you with?

UTV Internet - i.e. one of the eircom bitstream resellers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Looking at UTV myself when I move back to Kilkenny, I'm basing my whole plan on getting it due to lack of bitching about it on the Broadband forum compared to other companies :D

That and the "unlimited" option would be very useful

Yep, the unlimited option is why I have it :)
    The lack of bitching may be due to a lack of customers though! They have a really, really annoying issue where their DNS servers keep crapping out and then nobody fixes them until the next business day. Its been happening again and again for months. I've switched over to using OpenDNS instead, far more reliable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im with UTV. Had CONSTANT problems with them, but choose not to move due to difficulties moving. Support is awful, newsgroup is dead, seems to have lots of problems etc. They lost an awful lot of customers as a result.

And ya, I use OpenDNS as a result.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah thats no big deal I can just use opendns or some other dns server instead,

Hmm you could be right abou that one I suppose, I guess I'll see how I go, I can only get bit-stream resellers so I'm kinda limited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

Digiweb metro should be available in your area, ive got it for the last year and its much quicker than similary priced DSL.. It doesnt seem to have the same contention problems..

• Advertisement
Advertisement