Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista VERY slow to boot

• 24-11-2007 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Setup is:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
    EVGA nForce 680i SLI
    Corsair XMS2 Dominator Xtreme Performance (4 X1GB)
    XFX GeForce 8800GTS
    2 X Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 (No RAID configured)
    Vista Ultimate 64bit edition....Clean install

First thing i noticed, was when i was installing vista, it took ages (about 10 minutes) to get past the initial screen where the green progress bar comes up, just before you chose your language etc...after that no other delays with the installation

Now every time i boot the pc, it takes about 10 minutes to boot. It stalls on the "Progrss bar" screen for about 10 minutes and then moves on with no other issues. This happened from the first reboot with no other software installed, no other drivers other than the windows ones.

So i installed all the patches and updates from windows update, no difference....i've tried disabling things like onboard audio, usb etc from the bios...no difference...

i've been to the end of the net and back trying to find a solution for this

maybe there'll be some help here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF VISTA :D

Ya, it took ages to get to the vista loadup screen when installing vista, very slow. Bout the same 10mins you got.

Its very slow to boot, no matter what processor ya got. Notice from my sig that i got a quad @ 3.3Ghz, thats what my oc was at when i installed it. But its still the same as when i turn my oc off & go back to stock. Vista is just slow, get used to it :D

The service pack isn't going to speed things up either from what i've read, its just fixing bugs. Typical of m$ of releasing something not nearly finished. Now ya know why i hardly ever boot to Vista. Ubuntu FTW, takes less than 1min30secs to boot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

hey PMT..;)

i've ran vista on other machines of lessor spec than mine, and its not that slow...theres somethin a miss...i think its down to the mainboard...i've swapped out everything else with no change..:rolleyes:

Ya, shouldn't take 10 mins, more like 3-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

are there any external drives connected??

I know if I have my ipod left plugged in when starting my comp up, the progress screen stays up similar to what your saying.

I think the computer is doing a scan of the drive before it boots into windows, like if i leave it long enough windows will eventually load, disconnect the ipod before turning on and it loads up fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Are the HD's in slave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ya, shouldn't take 10 mins, more like 3-4.

3-4minutes to boot Vista???

Mine is booted in less than 2 minutes from cold 98% of the time.

EDIT: Should have said, Vista Business here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

A minute boot for me on my XPS M1210.

EDIT: It's Vista Ultimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Using vista 32 bit Home Ed, its about 60/70 seconds.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

davkav wrote: »
    are there any external drives connected??

I know if I have my ipod left plugged in when starting my comp up, the progress screen stays up similar to what your saying.

I think the computer is doing a scan of the drive before it boots into windows, like if i leave it long enough windows will eventually load, disconnect the ipod before turning on and it loads up fine...
    Try updating your BIOS to solve that problem, especially if it's a Dell machine.

I'd expect Vista to load much faster for the OP. I find it starts faster than XP. Where's the delay? Is it spending ages loading drivers, forcing you to endure the green animation at power-up?

hi all

thanks for the replys. I've updated the bios, disconnected everything, no dice.....i still have a good 10 minute view of the green animation at power up, everytime i boot. I thinks its important to remember that this happened, during the installation routine aswell!!

Its not actaully doing anything during this time, i think, all disk activity dies for about 10 minutes, then all of a sudden everything cranks up again :confused:

If the machine is booted in safe mode, it stalls on crcdisk.sys for about 10 minutes, and then moves on. The net is full of stuff on this, but nothin has really applied to my situation.

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote: »
    3-4minutes to boot Vista???

Mine is booted in less than 2 minutes from cold 98% of the time.

EDIT: Should have said, Vista Business here.

:rolleyes: Dunno how long it takes exactly, it takes twice as long as Ubuntu, so i never boot to Vista (Ultimate 64bit) anymore to face the virus scans :D Also my cpu is 3'c cooler in Ubuntu idling & uses waaaaay less of my ram.

OP: does disabling the indexing service speed up your boot time?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    OP: does disabling the indexing service speed up your boot time?

nope....i followed the logic that due to the fact i had the issue during the installation routine aswell, it had to be hardware or bios related somehow....and not related to windows services that weren't running during the installation.

i'm almost 100% sure its the motherboard, all the other components have been swapped out or switched off, and nothing made any difference...

Edit: tried disabling indexing...no difference..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

try a linux boot CD to see how fast the hardware really is
    hdtune will test your harddrive and report any SMART errors and do a speed test
    try safe-mode - if much faster then it's software probably malware or norton

windows 95 used to hang for 10 minutes with some 3com cards (509?) when they wern't terminated or connected to a network , so it could be a timeout

on the offchance an antivirus program is scanning on each startup
    empty any junk from the root folder c:\ -
    DO NOT delete any file unless you know exactly what it is - otherwise the system may not boot up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

May just be a screwed install. Bit of dirt on the DVD causing the system to glitch. Perhaps another fresh install would solve the problem, as much as I hate saying that as a solution, in this case it may prove to be the only one?

just a quick update: this turned out to be the mainboard alright, i bought another later edition (A1 rather than AR) board, and all is well :D

still had fun with the new board though, vista won't install with 4GB of RAM fitted, on the 680i chipset anyway, BSOD after the install finishes. Had to remove 2GB and install, then apply a windows patch for this, then put back in the 2 sticks..:rolleyes:

never had that much hassle with a windows OS before, but, finally up and running....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The Moral of the story? Vista bad, stick to XP. DX10 wrappers will be released soon for XP anyways so there's no reason to upgrade.

Glad you got everything sorted OP but I really feel that this shoddily thrown together OS will be the start of a downfall for M$. Lots of governments are already changing over to FOSS operating systems to cut down on costs and increase productivity. People are finally starting to realise that x86 Clone PC != Microsoft.

well i fcuked vista in the bin this evening!! :mad:

the last straw was after i tried to change my dvdrom drive letter to Z, which i do with every new setup, the machine blue screened...and wouldn't restart..wtf :rolleyes:

in went my nlited xp cd, bye bye vista and good riddance

if i wanted grief, sweat and tears i'd have installed linux (down to my lack of linux knowhow)

Advertisement