Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCTS in Web Apps questions

Options
  • 24-11-2007 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi all, i have a couple of questions for those with experience.

My career got sidetracked when I joined a (now failed) start-up. I'm trying to break back into programming, specifically ASP.NET in C#. I have the fundamentals (SQL Server/ADO/Web Forms/AJAX/Themes/Master Pages) having completed a number of small sites. I’m studying on my own time and am looking at doing the MCTS .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications certification.

Anyway, my questions: Generally speaking, is correct study and preparation without lengthy job experience enough for an average person to be able to attain the certification and if so, is completing this certification adequate preparation for a full time development job?

If there are other, more pertinent certifications for my situation please let me know. Also, if anyone has any advice on what other areas i should be studying, i'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok...

First things first, the MCTS in Web Applications is a 2 exam certification. In your case you will require the Web apps and the .NET Fundamentals exam (70-536)

The web apps exam is primarly concerned as the title says on development web apps in the .NET framework 2.0. So a lot of the stuff is centred around the advantages of the .NET framework 2.0, as well as security and the web config.

You should aim to get this cert and from there get the MCPD which is 1 more and is a pure design exam.

If you are familiar with .NET and have enough resolve to work your way through a lot of the topics then you will probably pass the exam as its designed for people with about 1 to 2 years experience in that version of the framework. Its not overly complex, but you do need a solid grounding in the standard aspects of web application development.

Whether or not certification is adequate for a full time job is a different question. For me I would say it like this. Without experience in working in development, these certs are just like having a degree without experience.

What these certs are great for, is when you go to interview, you can say well I know x tech been working in it for y year and I have the cert to show it.

In your case you will be able to do that as well, but its better to have the experience to back up the certification as otherwise, it can seem like a paper cert (ie all bookwork no commercial experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 br_vide

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I got the books today and had a look through them. It'll take a lot of work but i think its do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement