Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User "Talliesin" encouraging suicide on PI

Options
  • 24-11-2007 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Talliesin wrote: »
    There's no law against jumping off a cliff. Off you go.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54498317&postcount=13

I thought this especially wasn't allowed on Personal Issues of all boards. Saying that to someone who was depressed or feeling suicidal could have serious consequences and he was totally out of order in my opinion. But he'll probably pass through the net as usual because he has 8,000 posts. Anyone else says it and it's an instant ban.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You reported the post about six minutes ago. You should give the mods of that forum some time to respond to the reported post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

Sorry it just really got to me. I had a cousin who commited suicide a few years ago and the pain it brings on the family is like nothing you can ever imagine which is why I don't think it should even be joked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Suicide is never funny....

Its hilarious.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im sorry that comment struck a chord with you, OP. I would read it quite differently though, with a tone of irony. As if it should have the explanatory follow on of 'and they are both completely stupid things to do, and noone should'.

Ive seen Tallesin being blunt to the point of insensitivity before, but I have no doubt he would never encourage suicide.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Put the post in context - he was giving a somewhat flippant, moreso bluntly amusing response to people advocating drink driving below the limit because it wasn't against the law. More succinctly: People shouldn't do things just because they can. I very much doubt any offence was implied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought suicide was illegal? ;) In any case, I think Talleisin meant it in the sense of "No reason to do something stupid just because they haven't made a law against it" as opposed to "go kill yourself".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

unless he really felt it was neccesary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Actually, I'm pretty okay with the morality of joking about suicide, but I personally shy away from that topic in jokes for the most part for my own reasons.

If I was going to engage in such humour, I most likely wouldn't do so in PI. And of course, I didn't, Dr Lektroluv should take a course in English comprehension. It might also benefit them to become familiar enough with English-speaking cultures to get the old trope about "and if X jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?"
    KtK wrote: »
    Ive seen Tallesin being blunt to the point of insensitivity before,
    I may have on occasion. Normally though I'm blunt in full knowledge that it may be hurtful to the person it's addressed at, in which case it isn't insensitive, it's just cruel (sometimes cruel to be kind, sometimes cruel to be cruel).
    Stark wrote: »
    I thought suicide was illegal? ;)
    It was decriminalised in 1993 on the (rather sound to my mind) grounds that the legal situation of attempted suicides being liable to criminal charges just made matters worse for them and had no benefit to anyone else.
    Mordeth wrote: »
    unless he really felt it was neccesary.
    Hell yes, if I could persuade some people to top themselves I certainly would. We're talking close to the sort of grounds under which I'd consider homocide justified though. I don't think the stupidity of the post I was replying to was enough to justify that. I don't even think the stupidity of Dr Lektroluv's post is enough to encourage that. It is enough to put him on my ignore list though (after this thread is finished, I'm expecting giggles).

/Edit: Also, how the hell is this something for the Feedback forum? WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

But he'll probably pass through the net as usual because he has 8,000 posts. Anyone else says it and it's an instant ban.

after 8000 posts it's easier to judge if there's actual malice there. in the context of the thread, i'd say the post is fine. it might offend you, or others, but it's not saying "off you go op, kill yourself" outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I have ooked at the post in context. Encouraging suicide..no. Ironic or sarcastic about a legal risk taking in reference to your post. IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54498317&postcount=13

I thought this especially wasn't allowed on Personal Issues of all boards. Saying that to someone who was depressed or feeling suicidal could have serious consequences and he was totally out of order in my opinion. But he'll probably pass through the net as usual because he has 8,000 posts. Anyone else says it and it's an instant ban.

In the context of seeing in of a single post I dont see what's wrong with it.

If you took Talliesin as been serious maybe you should have just ignored it.As far as I can tell it was an off the cuff remark not meant to be taken serious.

It may have struck a nerve with you but posters cant second guess what might or might not offend others. The attention wasnt to offend and I would think a ban was necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

kearnsr wrote: »
    As far as I can tell it was an off the cuff remark not meant to be taken serious.
    It was meant to be taken as serious - seriously saying that just because something is legally allowed doesn't mean it isn't a stupid idea.

My error was in thinking that the post was stupid and the poster probably a bit stupid. I see now that the poster is actually really, really, really stupid.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok, enough. Dumb thread. Not feedback.

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement