Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite Stallions

Options
  • 24-11-2007 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hello Everybody!

Im new to the board so this is my first post!....

Ive been trying to find out information about stallions in ireland (i have my eye on I'm a star, Cult Hero, Big sink Hope, Welcome Diamond, Captain Clover, Rich Rebel etc.) but ive found it difficult to get pics and information about a lot of them.... Im relatively new to breeding but im really enjoying studying breeding lines for eventing and showjumping... would like to keep the irish or tb lines.....

i already have a two year old by creevagh ferro and a foal by loughehoe guy and my mare is now in foal to last news..... im thinking of putting her in foal again this year so im looking at options for other stallions... i like a bit of variety!!!

please post pics or links to stallions and studs in ireland that you think can have the best potential for future eventers and jumpers! looking forward to your responses....:):):)

j

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Im a star has always thrown good eventers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 johnny_g

thanks togster, but do you know where he stands?? cant find info on his stud or pics of him online..?

http://www.irishhorseboard.com/news/article.asp?NID=930&NCID=27&T=N&Print=

A link to some of the top breedders in the country

Also..

http://www.irishhorseboard.com/news/article.asp?NID=922&NCID=27&T=N&Print=

Don't know where he stands but if you send a mail to the horse board you will find out.

ive just read somewhere that he is dead! doh.... same thing happened me earlier with accondy and glen bar before that! just my luck when i finally decide on one i really like i find out they're dead....!
    all suggestions of horses who are still alive appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

If you join the horse board then they will send out a stallion guide every two years, showing breeding, stud etc, you also get a list of foals registered to the stallions etc. - nice to know if you're going into breeding in a serious way. (Also get a discount off passports/registration when the time comes)

Otherwise would recommend keeping an eye out for the stallion performance shows - you can go along and see the boys in action jumping etc.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 vpg

I didn't know Accondy was dead?! he certainly wasn't on the old side! Does anybody know how he died?
    Re. The stallion parades - They are normally held around February/March time and the big ones seem to be held at cavan and goresbridge within a couple of weeks of each other. Its a very good place to go look at them as otherwise you will find yourself travelling miles to see maybe only two or three stallions in a day! (As we did when we started breeding first) :rolleyes:

heres the accondy article.... its such a shame as he looked amazing.. . http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/stallionsandstuds/419/63940.html

Thanks for all advise people....ive seen most of those links before but thanks! reckon ill head to the parade when its on...will save me a lot of time going to see them all individually alright!! :rolleyes::)

heading to cavan tomorrow for the foal sales to have a look at whats on offer.... the last thing i need now is to buy in another foal but you'd never know,!!

still interested in hearing bout YOUR favourite stallions....and WHY???

glad to see this forum is kicking off....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 vpg

Hi Johnny_g, what sort of a mare do you have? and why did you pick Last News this year just gone?
    When I started breeding first I wanted to breed an eventer as that is what I was doing at the time however by the time I got a foal on the ground and it was four years old; my focus had completely switched, I now compete at dressage only! :confused: And to add to that after holding on to the first foal, my 'now' dressage horse, the mare (& her subsequent foals)..and a full time job, I found it too hard going, a drain on finances and decided the easiest way to breed was aim for selling when they are foals. At least they dont have to be vetted and they get a limited amount of time to do themselves damage!
    In answer to your question I like Hermes De Reve, Clover Valley..and the list goes on ..I liked Accondy too, actually the first year he was in Ireland I tried to use him but the foot and mouth made it very difficult so I ended up using Maltstriker (who is now retired also) my mare is a half bred and at the time I thought that she would put a good bit of bone into her foals but as it happens she through them very light so I put her to Hermes the last time and I reckon it was the best foal of all. I think it really comes down to what suits your mare as much as you actually liking the stallion (as there are loads more that i like but I wouldnt use on her cause they just wouldnt suit!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

Hi Jonny.. *waves* ..interesting post ! :)

IMO Stallions are really a personal choice - if breeding for commercial reasons it is good have a few babies of the "Fashionable" stallions of the moment within the discipline(s) you are breeding for as people invariably follow a trend.. i.e all the Cavalier horses at the mo - they are red hot property - yes he's got a good line and is talented, as are his offspring, but people do like to say they have a horse by the current stallion of the moment and sales follow that trend..a little like fashion brands in a way.. Wise breeders who have an ear to the ground will pre-empt the popularity of stallion and have either 2 or 3 yo's ready to go when the trend comes in..

This doesn't mean breed rubbish horses just to follow a trend - although there are those out there who do - and there is always some mug who will buy the name not the horse - this eventually can cause the trend to fail and a new trend to begin as the talent of the original stock is diminished by the horses bred to a sire line only with no consideration to the dam.. Having said that when you buy a foal or unbroken horse you are only buying the names/line.. You have no idea whether the horse will be as you think.. You are literally banking on good/talented lineage..

If you are breeding for yourself - I think you can choose your stallion more to suit you and your mare.. You don't have to consider market trends.. Temprement is paramount in my book.. No matter how talented a horse is, if it's quirks are many the talent will never be realised.. See Cruising! Fantastic horse, fabulously talented.. As freaky and inconsistent as they come - which ultimately was his undoing... His babies are mostly the same.. If you click and can get a tune out of them then great.. But if not..it can be a continual uphill struggle..

As for my choice of stallions.. Both UK based but no problem really with AI.. A long time favourite of mine is Shaab.. I've had 2 by him.. Tremendous eventing line with huge talent, beautiful confirmation and temperments.. And so generous - they give you 120% 24/7 365… I'd have another in an instant.. Not sure if he is still alive (b 1975 so would be 32 now) but his son is..In a few years I would like to breed for personal use.. And I intend to go with his line should his son throw similar stock.. I think commercially they will be seriously popular also due to the achievements of his offspring now.. I'm looking to breed a WH/SH/top end Allrounder and think with the right mare you would achieve some real quality using this line.. (am looking to a part bred WB mare - preferrably by the stallion mentioned below - for addition of that really straight "wow" movement for this - can't show a straight WB -they are too move-y but add some WB to TB/ISH and you should get what you are looking for..)

Here's his website you can navigate to his son - My Eclipse - through it too..

Shaab

For SJ purposes a friend has some babies that have seriously impressed me.. By Concorde…and if I wanted to go down that route I would choose him.. Amazing record - youngest ever pref grade stallion - again very very talented babies but unbelieveable temprements! They are so easy and willing! They also do very well at pure dressage. Commercially they are ever popular so a good bet all round..

Concorde

I'm not too up on Dressage lines so I'll not comment there !

As for Irish stallions - I've heard a lot of good things about Big Sink Hope, Moot point.. but I'm not really genned up on irish breeding though so am just going on the quality of youngsters by them I've seen at sales and WOM..

Bx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Remember to get the Irish Field Saturday, the free stud directory is in it. Its handy for adresses and numbers, etc.
    I had a few Big sink hopes myself, nice looking horses but not so nice to break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

I know this is an old thread, but I was reading over some of the old stuff and thought it was interesting. I've had great experiences with Quilettos over the last year or two. Fully approved Selle Francais, but hasn't bred that many. I've had three of his through my hands over the last two years and the common thread seems to be fab temperament and great jump. Only thing is, he's in South Africa now apparently!

Cavaliers are still hugely consistent if you go through the Irish Horse Board's Achievements brochures which are updated yearly. Obviously he's gone now, but I believe you can still get some frozen semen. I know someone who came by some in Scotland.

Harlequin du Carel is producing some gorgeous young eventers and I think he's on the way to being fully approved now.

Big Sink Hope throws lovely show horses, but they don't seem to feature as much in other disciplines.
    Master Imp - lovely horses - seem to make great crosses with Clover Hill mares.
    Kings Master is throwing some nice eventer types too.

Anyone else got any? I love horsey breeding talk - so interesting!

Re Concorde - I worked with one in the UK in dressage while I was working there and he was lovely. Super temperament too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 michaela2991

just wondering if any of you could give me some information on Cult Hero! I have a gelding by him and have heard about him from other people but dont really know much about him! If anyone can help me it would be much appreciated!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Yeah I know a colt he sired, very nice mover. CH was standing in Gorey but to my knowledge he might be retired... I'm open to correction on that! He is a TB, 16.2hh, brown and has 21cm bone. His registered number is 2475682 and has sired some nice sport-horses, he's been quite a popular stallion over the past few years. Des Noctor is the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 eddie12

I'm not involved in the eventing side of things at all but I'll name my favorite stallions anyway...forgive me:D

Presenting... Top NH stallion, produces thoroughbreds that will stay all day, are built like tanks and have the quality to go past others. We bought one of his first crop(would never be able to afford one once he made his name). She got injured unfortunetly and never ran.

Bienamado... He's a smashing looking horse, has a group racing career behind him and is producing some lovely stock. His first irish three year olds are around this year but I dont think he'll have any runners until next autumn. Any of them I've seen are straight, great temperments, big and strong. Even his fillies are big. I hope he makes it as a NH stallion but if he doesnt, he'll produce smashing sporthorses.

Errigal Flight... I remember nearl getting my hand bitten off by him whn I was a kid. sired some lovely foals for us though.

Carrick diamond Lad... Produces lovely foals and has classic breeding

Sir Stormy Breeze... Old school Irish draught(dying out IMHO) who produces some great hunters.

Moorpark boy... He's dead now but was another old style draught stallion who sired lovely strong hunters.

Glenbar...Brought our sportier mares to him when he was around. I think Giltedge was by him....finally I get to an eventer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 diarmuid123

if you want a showjumping horse, get semen in from a foriegn stallion. all irish showjumping stallions are pretty useless

Foreign/ frozen semen is going to end up biting Irish breeders in the ass if it really takes a hold of our good mares.

All Irish showjumping stallions are useless? I presume you are talking about world rankings here as opposed to anything else. For the size of this country, we punch well above our weight at an international level in showjumping and if you want proof of a genuinely Irishbred showjumper who has earned a place on the world stage just look at CC Diamond.

I'm sure nobody would reasonably expect this country to be producing stallions at the same quality per season as our much larger colleagues abroad.
    The best way of continuing to support the Irish horse is to do so at local and national level and of course the support of the best Irishbred stallions standing abroad. Our future as a sporting nation doesn't lie in continental horses like the Holstein or SF crosses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

if you want a showjumping horse, get semen in from a foriegn stallion. all irish showjumping stallions are pretty useless

No they're not! Irish breds are the best!:cool:

Saw a beautiful eventing stallion in the North a few months ago called Hallowed Turf, unfortunately had nothing left to cover with him by then. Cracking animal though, Thoroughbred and worth looking at imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14 irish-lad22

Thats a very broad statement about all Irish showjumping stallions being useless!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Guys chill I'm sure that sweeping statement wasn't thought through. I think we produce cracking event horses but do feel we've somewhat lost our way with the showjumpers. I've seen clearly lately that the sales ring and competing field speak for themselves competition riders ride talent not sentiment and realistically we have to focus coldly on that fact and rise to the challenge.

I love Irish horses and their minds are fabulous but I have a Quiletto who I absolutely adore and make no apology for that but have had plenty of Irish breds there is room for both.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    I'm by no means an expert on breeding but I think our success in racing and the tax policy on TB stallions are what is keeping us up there when it comes to eventing. The quality of thoroughbred in this country is better than in mainland europe and from what I can see, the best eventers have a lot of thoroughbred in their breeding.

Maybe we need better perfomance testing for our showjumping mares.

Is it just me or do the irish bred sporthorses have better temperments than the warmbloods? Temperments that are more suited to eejits like myself that only hack, hunter trial and generally trick about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Musto

Ard Grandpa (RID) - have a lovely 3 yr old by him. Wonderful presence, looking to be about 16.1 which is plenty of height for me.

Nigrisine (TB) - have the most stunning looking colt I've ever seen - plus he knows it. Yearling now - fingers crossed he is as good as he looks.

Emperor Augustus (TB) - covered by mare my him last year. Had a very pretty filly foal. Delighted with her. Was hoping for a filly and she has only thrown colts the last few years.

My RID 3 yr old is for me. To just enjoy hacking, XC, hunter-trialling etc.
    My yearling will be for sale in time - when he is ready!! He is an eventer type totally. And my filly foal is for me. She will be an eventer type - hopefully with her mammys brains. And it looks like she has them already. Very independent from mammy within a few days.

Have to say both Emperor Augustus & Nigrisine are throwing good eventers types plus the stallion owner is one decent man with a true love of horses..

eddie12 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the irish bred sporthorses have better temperments than the warmbloods? Temperments that are more suited to eejits like myself that only hack, hunter trial and generally trick about.

I think thats true. The Irish horse has a great relaxed temperment about them. You'll always have a nutty one but that's usually bad handling and riding. I think your point about thoroughbred horses is bang on. In my experience the irish horse stays sounder longer. We have great grass and way off bringing up the young horse. We peoduce amazing horses especially in eventing. I think its the braveness and history of the irish horse that makes it a great eventer.

OT my favourite although dead is Clover Hill. As a child i saw that stallion and his owner. Amazing. And the best horses i have ever ridden are horses by him or by his offspring. Especially the mares.

I've seen a grandson of Clover Hills and have to say he is the spitting image of him. Its My Paddys Clover. He's standing in Galway. I bought a foal by him and he was a superstar. Way way too good for me, so unfortunately I had to sell him.
    Saw a pic of Clover Hill (and they are very rare) and thought it was My Paddys Clover.
    Wonderful horse and owned by a man who understood what mares suited his horses. He picked the stallion for your mare - not you. Personally I think a good stallion owner should know which of his stallions would produce the best offspring from your mare.
    As for Irish Horses - the best all the way. Best head, attitude, strength, ability and personality. They have such wonderful minds. Bad ones are the product of mans inability to understand how to treat them. My personal opinion anyway!!

Thought I'd put a picture of Clover Hill up for fellow fans.
    cloverhill.jpg?t=1245455255

And I couldnt leave out King of Diamonds
    kingofdiamonds.jpg?t=1245455611

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

I have a 5 yr old grandson of Clover Hill and I have been told he looks very like him. It's been a while since I've seen that pic, but I can definitely see the similarities.

Thats the exact same picture I saw of Clover Hill. My Paddys Clover is the spitting image.

http://ballinamorebridgestud.com/mypaddysclover.htm

See the above link. Is it not a younger version of Clover Hill!!

King of Diamonds - always presumed he was a grey. Aint he just magnificient!!

Musto wrote: »
    Is it not a younger version of Clover Hill!!

Very nice to see such a resemblance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hannahelizabeth

Does anyone have a pic of diamond clover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

I really like Finns Clover Inn, he looks very very like clover hill, have known/ridden a few horses by him now, fantastic temperments with a jump to match. If i was looking for a traditional draught type i would go with him. Also had a mare by Glenagyle rebel, i like his son huntingfield also. Big sink hope seems to have quite the name for himself in showing circles if i remember rightly from the RDS this year (hunting classes?)
    If I had a nice draught mare and a bit more quality I think i would go with VDL arkansaw, is that how you spell it? saw him as a 3 year old and he looked the part! that VDL douglas looks good on paper too.
    Have you decided yet?

Advertisement