Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite Stallions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

if u were trying to breed a top showjumper, name 3 irish stallions today that you would use, i mean for europeans and olympic level, i bet ye cant

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

The list is long actually Richie :) But I'll give you 3. :D

1. Harlequin du Carel
    2. Ringfort Cruise
    3. Lux Z

Have you come acroos these stallions before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

heard of one and and three but not two, presume he's by cruising.

i'll add this one,

Puissance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You could include Chippison also. Didn't he jump in the World Championships in Aachen?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Technically they can be considered 'irish' because they are in the Irish studbook, but Harlequin du Carel and Lux Z are both warmbloods (Selle Francais and Hanoverian I think), so I don't think that's exactly what richy1 had in mind!

Afaik, Chippison is only on the Supplementary List, but that might be due to his breeding not being recorded. I wouldn't be that mad about him, he's a big, awkward yoke, though he can jump.

We've a two year old by Cruise On, he's a nice stallion who had a great show jumping career ahead of him before it was cut short by a silly stable injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richy1

yes i have actually.Harlequin du Carel and Lux Z arent really irish horses they are foreign bred.we have a totaly foreign bred horse, out of a foreign mare and sire balou du roet (approved). the foal was born in ireland.this horse has a green book and can be called an irish horse but really its fully foreign.in my oppinion ringford is a good stallion not great.even cavalier wasnt really irish breeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lark_1

Interesting topic.
    I'm afraid for a top class showjumping sire I could only go shopping abroad. Guidam was a huge loss.
    Now top of the list would be Kannan, dual purpose and proven sire, although does need a small mare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oneillpeter

There is a lot of well known sports stallions in Ireland. Often these stallions are more well known for their stock on the ground and for being classed as S1 etc. but are not always well known because of their jumping ability.
    There is a lot of stallions around the country that are nearly un-heard of because they are only known by word of mouth.
    For example one of my mares is in foal to a grade b showjumper by touchdown and there is a young stallion by contendro that I am interested in using. Both of these stallions are nearly unknown apart from local people.
    So you should talk to local horse breeders for information about local stallions that may be around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I like Kensons Aragorn although I have never met him in the flesh.

http://www.welshsporthorses.com/Kensons_Aragorn.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

to say every foreign or irish stallion in this country is useless is an overstatement! imo a useless stallion is one which breds a useless show jumper off a good showjumping mare. how many good irish mares are in the country that have jumped to the world cup standard? i dont personal know but i doubt there is very many. genetically it is 50:50 but the mare is so very important it is neither reasonable or expected for any stallion to breed 100% jumpers off average mares. everywhere else and i mean everywhere moves on with their breeding program. you can ask anyone and they all will agree that tb sire crossed to a draft mare (and i dont mean the other way around, draft to tb mare because yes it does make a difference) is this best possible foundation. but to take you tb draft cross and cross it to another tb or the even worst another draft is a disaster! you must cross that mare to a performance stallion, nothing less 140cm international standard and that is moving forward. everyone talks about the good mares we sold but i can bet you they didn't cross them to an unknown tb or draft stallion which did not perform themselves or produce a significant (not one freak) amount of jumpers. also we need to utilize our good mares more through embryo transfer. if we look to the BWP there have come from nowhere to no.3 in the world thanks to ET which helps speed up the whole process. of course i am only speaking from a showjumping point of view

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

In my opinion Richy is right to a certain extent. There arent that many 'great' irish stallions. I dont think it's to the fault of the horses though. I think it's because of the way Ireland as a country treat the competitive industry. It has improve imensely over the past few years but I think it went to wrong to fast and things went worse when people tried to quickly fix it.

Of course we all know how a lot of our greats got exported years ago and their bloodlines have now filtered away. We still have some very amazing horses though. I think our problem is that we're such a small country that there's not alot of people who can afford to go international on their own steam. Alot of our riders are all sponsored. Their rides are sponsored, and alot of their horses are scouted from abroad where the starting out training is exeptional.
    I may be berated for it but a horse foaled in a top breeding yard in say Holland or Germany, has a much better starting point than any in Ireland. I know we have many many top racing breeders. I struggle to hear of any well known yards for eventers or jumpers though where as those yards are commonplace in foreign countires and therefore have alot of competition and therefore are constantly trying to breed the best of horses. So the standards there are exceptional.

We do well by our irish horses and I prefer them to any daft warmblood or hot head top bred show jumper that would just as soon bash its brains out on a fence when it spooked cause the wind blew through the trees. (Yes I have worked with these horses and they're dangerous, cost alot of money, are unpleasant to ride and yet are kept on just because they jump well under certain circumstances.)

We may not have many world class 'great' stallions stationed up and down the country but I would rather a great fun jumper who could just as easily turn around and do a fabulous dressage test or fly a XC without worrying about it crumbling to pieces the next day. Irish breeds are not meant to be top class show jumpers unbeatable world round. They werent breed over 100's of years to be that kind of horse. We had a few breeds at first. Some tough scruffy bog ponies who could live out in any weather and take anything you threw at them. Tough heavy draughts to work hard on farms. Then there was the thoroughbreds who are to this day some of the best in the world. Then we came across the irish sport horse who was bred to be a magnificent all rounder. Not specfically for show jumping. They are however amazing animals that can excel at any dicipline and can just as easily be a charming lesiure horse.

Might just be easier to say I love the Irish breeds more than any flashy show jumper any day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaundoherty

hey, we stand a few stallions which have either got foals competing at international level, got international showjumping pedigrees or competed themselves. red house condor is here and he has horses and ponies competing all over the world including a european gold medal winner but people seem to think because hes only 15hh he wont give them a big enough foal,he has horses standing over 16.2 . je suis francais is also here, he is by the same sire as diamante de semilly who is one of the best sires ever in france and hes out of the same dam as boherdeel clover, frenchie is producing great event horses and show horses but people seem to think as he stands in donegal they pass him by. our stallions are available for a.i so it doesnt matter where they are. the irish horse is suffering because we are a nation of begrudgers and would sooner drive our mare to a stallion at the other end of the country rather than find out what is standing in our own counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaundoherty

clonleigh dancer is a nice horse, im not a big fan of draught horses unless they perform but i do like clonleigh dancer. he was in donegal for a long time before heading to mayo. im not sure if he was available to mares in donegal or if it was just a case of him not being used. depends what kind of mare your thinking of sending to him and what it is your hopeing to breed. i dont know how highly he's rated as a sire for pure draught foals but i like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 harrie smolders

diarmuid123 you are very wrong.one of the best horses in the world is a chesnut stallion by cruising called 'Flexible' ridden by Rich Fellers he is an ISH.

Advertisement