Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Lighting

Options
  • 24-11-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Ok here's the situation. I got my stippled and cracked ceiling re-skimmed last week. I have two light fittings in the kitchen, the main light over the cooker/skin area and another light over the dining table area. The fitting over the dining table doesn't seem to work anymore. I have tested the lights themselves by taking them down and connecting them up to a flex/plug and plugging it straight in and all the bulbs light no problem. I have put a phase tester onto the live(red) wire in the ceiling and the bulb in the phase tester glows. (does anyone know how bright it should glow).

What I don't want is to start ripping up the floorboards up stairs to get to the wiring to find out what is wrong.

Oh I bought a ceiling rose and light fitting to test and I got nothing with that either.

Any suggestion would be great. I have one light in the kitchen at present which works away fine and I have changed bulbs and switches with new ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if there is a live feed at the dining room light, which is looped in with the kitchen light and its not working it probably is a problem with the neutral. this is usually a blue or black wire. try to trace it from the dining room light to the kitchen light and see if its intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

Thanks northdubliln.

Any ideas how to do that. Multimeter maybe? It does seems that the neutral is the problem.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

if you have a multimeter put it on continuity, but ye might need to extend the leads. or using the mutimeter test for a circut between the live and neutral at the dining room light to see if you have 240 volts.

right removed the dining light and tested the feed with a multimeter I am only getting 85 volts, on the kitchen light (working one) I am getting 220 volts any ideas as to why i'm only getting 85volts?

Sorted....it was all down to damp from the plastering it's all dried out now and god said let there be light!!!
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

doohan wrote: »
    Sorted....it was all down to damp from the plastering it's all dried out now and god said let there be light!!!
    cheers

That doesn't sound good doohan. The moisture from your plaster shouldn't have affected the lighting circuit. I would advise getting an electrician in for a quick look.

Advertisement