Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a massgoing kneeler or bummer?

• 24-11-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

OK I'm not a regular massgoer myself but I happened to be there this evening when I noticed that when it's time to kneel not everyone kneels properly or upright, a large minority simply kneel and rest their backsides on the edge of the seat, have people really become that lazy, I could have put this on the religion forum but this subject is far to serious for that forum. Are you one of those lazy g*ts?

Are you a massgoing kneeler or bummer? 75 votes

Kneeler
    0% 0 votes
    Bummer
    13% 10 votes
    Not a massgoer
    28% 21 votes
    I only sleep in church
    58% 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Part laziness and part don't-want-to-be-too-near-to-a-fellow-'Christian' I'd imagine.
    I'm (c) None of the above. Is there meant to be a poll with this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can't kneel down in mass as it would just increase the chances of people seeing my raging stiffy.

Mass is teh sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

When I used to go to mass, the part for kneeling was soft and cushion like so no bother kneeling upright. Sometimes I just don't kneel when others do but looks odd me the only one in the row. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I can't kneel down in mass as it would just increase the chances of people seeing my raging stiffy.

Mass is teh sex.
    :eek:

Psst! Altar-boys! RU-U-U-N!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Wow my first poll set up and I make a mess of it, I should have added more options e.g. do you stand all the time?

• Advertisement

If this is your first thread you went and fúcked that up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

vektarman wrote: »
    Wow my first poll set up and I make a mess of it, I should have added more options e.g. do you stand all the time?

PM me with the options you want and I'll edit the poll.

MagicMarker: Play nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

I put my ass on the bench during the funerals and weddings I attend so I don't block anyone's view of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

i plonk my arse on the seat while kneeling down really because i dont want to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm a bummer. I'll bum you if you're not careful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I half sit on the seat while kneeling..it takes alot of effort to kneel properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

why would I go to mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm a bummer, but mainly cuz when i do actually go to mass it's so boring that i ahve to sit like that to avoid falling forward from sleeping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

why would I go to mass?

cos someone you know believes in that **** and you go as its important to them weddings chistenings funerals etc:

i a bummer, dont move an inch and just sit there. i d believe time stops during mass and 45 minutes feels like a week.

kdjac

If this is your first thread you went and fúcked that up too.

MagicMarker added to buddy list:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

I haven't been to mass in like 2 years but I always just sat down. The kneeling and stuff is for christians or respectful people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

vektarman wrote: »
    I should have added more options e.g. do you stand all the time?
    Some of us apparently do! :rolleyes:

KdjaCL wrote: »
    cos someone you know believes in that **** and you go as its important to them weddings chistenings funerals etc:

thats the only reason i occasionally go and i dont know anyone on boards who goes coz they want to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

People have been doing both for years. I've been going to mass since my parents first brought me as a baby and as soon as I was old enough to notice things, I noticed that.

I was always jealous of the people who rested on the bench while kneeling, because as a child I physically couldn't do it! I always thought those people were cool.

I'd alternate between the two really.

I don't mind as long as people kneel at the correct time. People rarely do. I was going to suggest that people should watch the alter servers and kneel when they do but it's probably not a good idea to suggest that to a few of the posters here! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

A kneeler when there's a hot chick in front of me and I want to enjoy the view of her arse (had such a pleasure a few days ago actually at a pre-funeral thingy).

Otherwise I'm a bummer all the way.

Though I'm never at mass.

• Advertisement

Oman wrote: »
    i dont know anyone on boards who goes coz they want to
    I go because I want to.

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    I go because I want to.

really? what do you meet up with people

Don't get me wrong, it not like im a regular there every sat/sun at all.
    Used to go every week when I was younger-forced to by my parents..hated it!
    As we got into our teens it was our own decison if we wanted to go or not. I didn't.
    Now that I hit my 20's I learned to go because I want to/want time to reflect etc.
    Besides..you never know who u might see there!:D

i must say i would consider going IF people i knew went to mass but no one does so id prefer to sit on a comfy couch that on a wooden bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

I'm a Bummer, not that i take it up the ass; but while in church (not very often ) if i do bother getting on my knees i keep me arse stuck to the bench, there could be a off duty priest sitting behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bummer haha :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

It depends on the Church, some have very comfortable kneelers, others have some that are as hard as nails and the seat behind you is very close so you risk a back injury if you try to kneel up straight :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a bummer, but not through laziness, through having fvcked up knee's from Judo.

Unless its a family occassion I won't go to the pew's, choosing instead to stand at the back of the church.

However when my daughter made her confirmation I chose to sit through the mass as my knee's where particularly sore that day.

So there ya go, sometimes some people are bummer's out of neccessity.

Mairt wrote: »
    Unless its a family occassion I won't go to the pew's, choosing instead to stand at the back of the church.

I do this too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

I gave up on the whole mass scene a long time ago tbh but must admit to resting my backside against the bench......but then theres the complete other extreme eg/ my bro who didnt even kneel... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I'm not a massgoer but will attend and comply with the "norm" (ie. kneeler during certain parts etc....) to keep everyone happy if there's a funeral/wedding/christning that I must attend.

I kneel properly if the person on front of me is kneeling (ie. if they stay sat in the pew I'm not going to kneel with my face practically touching the back of their well-groomed sunday hair, breathing on them and breathing them in at the same time.....no thanks) If the person on front of me kneels with bum on seat, again I would feel too close to kneel properly...and would probably mimic them with my own bum on seat....the only time I kneel "properly" is when the person on front of me does the same or there's no-one on front of me. It's not laziness, it's personal hygiene aswell as personal space really...

People, I just found out that Colin Farrell and Cillian Murphy 'kneeled or bummed' (not each other! :eek:) at a funeral recently in the church I go to when I'm home. If I'd been there, kneeling and bumming wouldn't have been and issue. I'd have fallen off my seat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Colin Farrell

I'd have no problem with personal space/kneeling properly and close to the person on front if this gent was bumming on front of me!!! I'd breath him in and blow him out in bubbles, church or no church :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

funerals and weddings only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

People, I just found out that Colin Farrell and Cillian Murphy 'kneeled or bummed' (not each other! :eek:) at a funeral recently in the church I go to when I'm home. If I'd been there, kneeling and bumming wouldn't have been and issue. I'd have fallen off my seat!

:eek: WHAT??? Was this around the Ringsend area?? OMG does cillian murphy live in Dublin!?!?!?!?!?! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :D

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    :eek: WHAT??? Was this around the Ringsend area?? OMG does cillian murphy live in Dublin!?!?!?!?!?! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! :D

Um, no, Cork, for the funeral of Jonathan Rhys Meyers mum.

• I'm a 'bummer' (lol) because it's easier and my knees are a bit dodgy from years of gymnastics and dancing. I wasn't brought up as a Catholic really and barely ever go to Mass so I don't really care. I'm not doing anything to purposely be disrespectful or rebellious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

What a thread:D Im usually a kneeler but anytime I go I usually end up behind some one who just sits down for the whole mass, so I've no choice but to be a bummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

On the rare occasion that I attend Mass, I would kneel with my arse half on the seat to take the pressure off my knees.
    Heh. I never noticed that 'kneel' and 'knees' are spelt almost the same. Now they both look like wierd Dutch words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

The very odd occasion I have to attend a mass (funeral, wedding etc) I will stand and sit at the appropriate times, but I don't kneel, genuflect, bless myself or recite the prayers and responses etc. I will stand or sit and be respectful and reflect on the ceremony itself.
    Reasoning behind it is - I will attend the ceremony out of respect for the people involved, but will not actively participate in the worship aspect as I am an atheist, and therefore it's insulting to both me as an atheist and others as believers if I am going through the motions of worshipping a god (their god) I do not believe in.
    Better to attend, observe the ceremony with respect etc. rather than be a git about it and refuse to attend. I'd do the same regardless of whatever particular faith ceremony I was attending. So next time you see someone not kneeling, perhaps the above is the reason why.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Only frequent the Atari Jaguar Church of What's Happening Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i always seem to be the last one to kneel or stand etc, cause i never know what to do, last time i was in mass was last christmas... only go at christmas time:D

Thanks for all the replies, even the abusive MagicMarker, I know now I wasn't imagining it when I saw most people resting their backsides instead of kneeling properly at mass, I will pass on this information to the relevant church authorities and see how many people we can get excommunicated. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Not a Catholic, we don't have to kneel in church.. just sit and stand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Other than funerals mass can be great craic as most people are only there because they have to be. I like to keep standing up when there's a change and see how many other non mass goers I can take with me, if possible then make eye contact with one of the others leaving it completely up to him to decide if we keep standing or give in. You'd be surprised how many will keep standing and ride it out.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Other than funerals mass can be great craic as most people are only there because they have to be. I like to keep standing up when there's a change and see how many other non mass goers I can take with me, if possible then make eye contact with one of the others leaving it completely up to him to decide if we keep standing or give in. You'd be surprised how many will keep standing and ride it out.

I'd say you'd take a lot of mass-goers with you! My mum was always standing and kneeling too early or at the wrong time until my sister became an alter server and actually found out what you're supposed to do. Now we all just do what she does. I'd rather leave her at home, actually, because she thinks it's hilarious to sing the hymns completely out of tune at the top of her voice in protest at the fact that the person leading the hymns can't actually sing.

Advertisement