Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel inferior by watching 10 of the godliest gamers in action

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

that ikaruga guy is not human, seriously not human a space money or something, thats not right.

the sf one is easy , tbh would have chun li nailed in under 20 seconds regardless of who controlling them, whoever it is gets the time to try and do the combo i mean shes just standing there doing ti wrong for 5 seconds, match should have over right there.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

You are right, that ikaruga bit near the end with the waves of blue and red bullets and the ships swap over colours is a freaky frenzy....

I think the SF one was just good because of the reaction of the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tbh, they are not videos of great gaming skill(bar one, which may have been extreme luck), they are videos of un-believable muscle memory. All those games follow strict patterns(bar one), and the videos are of people who have memorised the muscle reflexes involved in the games. They are a testement to wasted lives.

Now if any of those games had involved large scale tatical strategy, mixed with proper unexpected reflex reactions I would be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

KdjaCL wrote: »
    the sf one is easy , tbh would have chun li nailed in under 20 seconds regardless of who controlling them, whoever it is gets the time to try and do the combo i mean shes just standing there doing ti wrong for 5 seconds, match should have over right there.

Lol so you're the best SF player in the world yeah? He wasn't "standing there doing it wrong for 5 seconds" he was trying to get ken to approach so he could nail him. One more hit (even if it was blocked) would have knocked him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

The minesweeper one was amazing, as was the ikaruga video. Unbelievably good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

KdjaCL wrote: »
    that ikaruga guy is not human, seriously not human a space money or something, thats not right.

kdjac

Isn't the skill in the fact that he had zero health and had to specifically block each one of those kicks with a special move at an insane speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Omfg, the tetris was absolutely insane...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

jonny72 wrote: »
    Isn't the skill in the fact that he had zero health and had to specifically block each one of those kicks with a special move at an insane speed?

Edge wrote an article on that fight!!! It shows phenomenal skill and tbh KdjaCL, without having seen you play, I'm betting if you took on Daigo, he'd beat you 10 out of 10 fights!!

Guitar Hero vid is ok, I could list 5 more impressive ones off the top of my head though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

As far as skill goes any of the top end Korean starcraft players would put any of them videos to utter shame. granted that minesweeper one is impressive, very smart guy done that, and ikaruga is damn hard, but its all predetermined pretty much, which takes a lot out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

The end of the tetris video is ridiculously good. Muscle Memory alone cannot account for that!
    The wall build-up is invisible for Christ sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The end of the tetris video is ridiculously good. Muscle Memory alone cannot account for that!
    The wall build-up is invisible for Christ sake!

My sentiments exactly! Does tetris follow a pattern or are they random?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

My sentiments exactly! Does tetris follow a pattern or are they random?

Tetris is fairly random, but its very very simple when you develop a system for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So you could do what he did then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

But Daigo didn't even win that SFIII:3rd Strike tourney...

Oh yeah: old news :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

That SF one looked insane. And the crowd went batsh*t for it as well!
    Unreal stuff.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

The Ikaruga video was.............it defies logic

The puyo pop one was pretty cool as well

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Wow. they were all pretty damn impressive! I especially liked the Tetris one though, I refuse to accept that muscle memory can account for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The final level of Ikaruga is actually quite easy (by Ikaruga standards) wit the final sequence being on of the easiest parts of the game as long as you don't get tunnel vision. I'd like to see if he could do the same thing in level 3 or 4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

no videos of Toxjq or Cooller playing Q3/4 :(

brain, aim, out thinking, out moving, out timing, out gunning.

1v1 DM, the purest and highest skill curve gaming in the world :D

edit- those vids are still cool tho. lots of skill in em'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Jazzy wrote: »
    no videos of Toxjq or Cooller playing Q3/4 :(
    v00 has a great Q3 video out, racks up at 299mb though, theres a youtube one aswell, but Q3 is way too fast to make out anything at that resolution, grab it here:
    http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=600875

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

That Ikaruga guy is my god. What a legend.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The final level of Ikaruga is actually quite easy (by Ikaruga standards) wit the final sequence being on of the easiest parts of the game as long as you don't get tunnel vision. I'd like to see if he could do the same thing in level 3 or 4.
    Even though it's really knowledge of the level layouts:
    Ikaruga, Chapters 1-5, Normal, double-play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Pugsley wrote: »
    v00 has a great Q3 video out, racks up at 299mb though, theres a youtube one aswell, but Q3 is way too fast to make out anything at that resolution, grab it here:
    http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=600875

yeah, got that one tis class :D one of my faves

the getquaked series are still the best vids imo, #3 being particularly good. <3 good frag vids

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,413 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Even though it's really knowledge of the level layouts:

You should play the game. You might be able to learn where each bullet and enemy is coming from but you still have to dodge the bullets when they are fired at you which takes a lot of skill and fast reactions.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should play the game. You might be able to learn where each bullet and enemy is coming from but you still have to dodge the bullets when they are fired at you which takes a lot of skill and fast reactions.
    Nah, bullet-hell shmups aren't my bag -- I prefer either something more sedate (like Rez), or more random (like Every Extend).

Plus, I dislike that "your ship is big but can only be hit in 1 pixel" design all BHS are designed around -- one of the biggest design flaws IMHO which is affecting shmups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ok.........SF2, Dance Dance, Guitar Hero, Mario, Portal & Fists on fire are all pretty not that impressive tbh. Apart from SF2, they're all pre-determined in game actions so it's muscle memory......albeit very good mm. So while they're impressive I do not think they are gaming gods.

Have to agree with Jazzy tbh, FPS 1v1 is great to watch and much more gaming skill involved then these.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Minesweeper one is great alright :)

My friend is actually ridiculously good at it too, my brother himself and I went through a phase of it, my expert was 72, my bro's 67 and my friend Owens was 52:eek: He's ranked 41 in the world the bleedin nerd! http://www.minesweeper.info/worldranking.html?page=2 Minesweeper is random in the way the mines are placed but you get used to the scenarios in what way the numbers are around a mine so you can get pretty quick at it :)

Tetris is ridiculous, I thought I was good but that's just insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

cormie wrote: »
    Minesweeper one is great alright :)

My friend is actually ridiculously good at it too, my brother himself and I went through a phase of it, my expert was 72, my bro's 67 and my friend Owens was 52:eek: He's ranked 41 in the world the bleedin nerd! http://www.minesweeper.info/worldranking.html?page=2 Minesweeper is random in the way the mines are placed but you get used to the scenarios in what way the numbers are around a mine so you can get pretty quick at it :)

Tetris is ridiculous, I thought I was good but that's just insane!

At this point non-gamers would probably make some joke, but all I can think of is respect!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Some crazy skills and misspent youths there :D
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    Tetris is fairly random, but its very very simple when you develop a system for it.

It's actually not that random, I'm not into the science of it much but you can get an idea from here. Follow that example and you could play forever if you can handle the speed.
    Random Generator generates a sequence of all seven one-sided tetrominoes (I, J, L, O, S, T, Z) permuted randomly, as if they were drawn from a bag. Then it deals all seven tetrominoes to the piece sequence before generating another bag. There are 7!, or 5,040, permutations of seven elements, and it is believed that Tetris assigns a nearly equal probability to each of these, making it much less likely that the player will get an obscenely long run without a desired tetromino. It can produce a maximum of 12 tetrominoes between one I and the next I, and a run of S and Z tetrominoes is limited to a maximum of 4. Exception: In Random Generator as implemented in Tetris The Grand Master Ace, the first piece of the first bag is always I, J, L, or T, just as in the traditional TGM randomizer.

Despite the generic sounding name, presumed employees of BPS are known to treat the term "Random Generator" as a unique name, referring only to this particular algorithm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ikaruga is a really really hard game. Even if you have played it a lot it's still very difficult to remember all the bullet patterns. On top of that the guy is controlling two ships at the same time! The obvious advantage of this is that he can use one ship to protect the other. But wowards the end where the lasers form a grid, just shows how much control he has implementing to beat it that brilliantly.

Advertisement