Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipts fade over time

Options
  • 24-11-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else notice this? Is it done on purpose so that a a year after buying something your receipt is just a blank slip of paper with a few marks where once was text?

For something important, i suggest a photocopy and/or scan it to your PC.
    If you pay with card, you are fine as you can always use a credit card statement as proof of purchase.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not a conspiracy

It's a combination of cheap ink, wafer thin, poor quality paper and people crumpling them in their wallet.

Some shops have old style tills with those noisy printers and you can barely read them the day you get it then let alone one year later

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ARe you keeping the receipts in your wallet? Most receipts nowadays are heat prinnted on. Thing is if you have them in you wallet in your pocket it heats up and fades.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Tis a conspiracy, I have receipts that went straight into a folder (more expensive items, tv, etc).

And they are barely legible over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Till printers are mostly thermal now, the type of paper used reacts to heat to make the print. It is similar in example to the life of magnetic tape which deteriorates over time. The life of the receipt has definately been compromised but it isn't deliberate, it is to do with the speed and efficiency of thermal printers over traditional ribbon printerswith mechanical pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I keep mine in a box at home as long as they're kept somewhere not too hot and away from direct sunlight they'll last fine - they're the most economical option for receipts because there's no ink needed to print them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

tippbhoy wrote: »
    Till printers are mostly thermal now, the type of paper used reacts to heat to make the print. It is similar in example to the life of magnetic tape which deteriorates over time. The life of the receipt has definately been compromised but it isn't deliberate, it is to do with the speed and efficiency of thermal printers over traditional ribbon printerswith mechanical pins.

A uv light should show up that receipt just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Tis a conspiracy, I have receipts that went straight into a folder (more expensive items, tv, etc).

And they are barely legible over time.

Same, mine go straight in one of those folder organiser box things.

Advertisement