Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever a witness to a serious crime?

• 24-11-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I was just telling a mate about an incident I saw couple of years back...I was driving towards Parkgate St at about 3am...and I saw a Jeep backed into the kerb at a strange sorta angel...I watched it for a moment while the lights were red...and noticed 4 men all wearing balaclavas struggeling with something...trying to put it into the back of the jeep...at first I thought it was a kidnapping...but as one of the men moved slightly I saw the words "ATM" written on the side of the object they were trying to manhandle..

I got on the blower straight away to the emergency services....as the operator asked me for the reg of the jeep I looked in my rearview mirror and saw the blue lights of a squad car comming from the Chaplelizod direction....the 4 robbers obviously saw them aswell and 3 of them legged it into a Saab parked across the road...which I didnt see...the fourth fella jumped into the jeep...started it....and nailed it....but what with the weight of the safe in the back and the jeep nailing it....the safe flew out the back door of the jeep and into the middle of the road......at this stage I was about 20 feet away from the robbers( the operator insisted I get the reg...I had to get that close to see it)....the lad in the jeep hit the brakes....saw that the rozzas were nearly on top of them and bailed into the Saab. The old bill were straight after the boys.....and I was left standing on Parkgate St by myself with a cashmachine in bits on the ground beside me!!!!....the operator told me to stay where I was and to make myself known to the first garda on the scene....

anyway...when i was giving my statement..the detectives asked me not to mention the garda car I saw comming from chapleizod....apparantly they were a couple of gardai from Blanch who shouldnt have been anywhere near the parkgate St area that night!!!!

But anyone else ever witness a serious crime??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This is a comma: ,

The gardai are a national force. Why would they care if they were patroling another district? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sounds pretty serious, did you get any cash?

They're supposed to stay in their own district, if they're not it's a good indication that they're dossing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I didn't but my brother witnessed a murder in Clondalkin! :eek: Outside the Astro park... Said 2 lads in balaclavas approached a bloke and shot him in the head. My brother wasn't beside it but he saw what happened and had to give a statement. Don't think anything further came of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I once saw someone wearing black shoes, white socks and a tracksuit. :eek:
    Serious crime there! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah, but i don't like to talk about it... To this day i can't drive through a tunnel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭davejones

Yeah i seen i guy/drugdealer/c*nt get shot dead about four years ago, guards wanted me to be a witness.
    I said no thanks, but they tried to put loads of pressure on me and wanted me to make a statement.

The guy got what was coming to him, so i wasn't gonna give evidence and get myself in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

'addaboy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rigger, out of context.
    Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Sounds pretty serious, did you get any cash?

They're supposed to stay in their own district, if they're not it's a good indication that they're dossing...

No....all the plastic coverings around the machine were smashed to bits,but you could see that an ATM,essiently,is just a big safe. So no cash flying around the place or anything.

I honestly dont know what areas Gardai are supposed to patrol and not....the 2 detectives from the Bridewell asked me not to mention the first squad car.

They told me the Saab was chased as far as Leixlip and then they lost them...not surprised though...they were in a Saab and the old bill were chasing in a Clio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Once saw an old man being beaten up by two drunks, it was on a sidestreet in Dun Laoghaire while I was doing a paper route there. I was only thirteen so I was afraid to do anything about it directly, but I found a gard and he told me that he knew them and they just needed a place to sleep for the night, so they commit a crime. Total scum, I mean smash a window, try steal a car while a copper is looking, don't attack an old man with a walking stick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Saw some bloke gunned down in a drive-by when I was living in South East London. Was pretty grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

on my way down to the local shop and two lads in hoodies wit scarfs over there face come flyin round the corner shove me to the ground to get by me oneli after that i found out they had held syringe to shopkeeper i was lucky they got away with couple of hundred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Saw an old paedo being bet to within an inch of his life when I was a teenager - I'd to call an ambulance and wait for it as everyone else scarpered :( Was traumatic to say the least, three guys took turns to jump on his head and smash their big ol' boots down on his head/face even though he was already unconcious/looked dead. There was a pool of blood around his head about 5 ft in diametre - I was convinced he was dead and although he probably deserved it (don't know what his history was exactly but he was a convicted paedophile supposedly) it was horrible to see the life literally being bet out of someone. Gardai weren't involved as they knew what was about to happen, the blokes who were going to do it alerted the gardai who were already present, moments before they carried the attack out, about their intentions and the gardai knew full well what was happening and turned a blind eye (they didn't want the same guy in our town either I presume)

I've witnessed other crimes too but nothing as traumatic I suppose. Saw a guy getting stabbed one day, a girl stabbed him, twice in the back with a carving knife (I think...) I was asked for a statement for that one.....but I'd already had a "warning/bit of advice" from the VICTIMs side of the fence not to give one. (I don't think he wanted to get the girl in trouble or else he didn't want the truth getting out that he was stabbed by a girl....or possibly he knew he got what he deserved) I knew the girl at any rate, not a skanger, trouble maker or general scumbag, one of the most "normal" people you could meet who had just happened to get mixed up with this skanger fella and he was now beating up her brother, as long as I'd known her she was not a violent person, I'd say skanger even knew this.....and I didn't know the victim so well. If the victim didn't want me to give a statement I wasn't going to give one....that actually wasn't as traumatic as the first incident though, don't know why, I suppose the guy was still walking around the place, albeit blood gushing out of him, he looked more alive than the paedo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

I saw a crusty getting his head kicked in by a metalhead once outside a nightclub in Galway.

They met at the doorway, crusty going in, metalhead leaving. A swift and very loud headbutt knocked the crusty to the ground, after which he was kicked in head, which then bounced off a kerb. He was unconcious and an ambulance was called. The bouncers didn't seem to give a f*ck.

I had to leave and head for Last Chance Saloon, so dont know what happened after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I was just talking about this last night...I've spent the last 3 months in Amsterdam and I have been out quite a lot to all different types of bars and clubs, with ppl boozed up and on all types of sh!t. Not once have I seen a fight, or anything even close to a fight. Dublin on the other hand...bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Does being shot at 4 times in texas count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My friend got jumped when I was about 14. It was very scary at the time and I had to give statements to the guards and all that. It went to court but when the guy who jumped my friend saw me in court he changed his plea to guilty and I got to go home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Saw an armed robbery once in the early '90's in London. I was walking past a bank & looked in the window & saw a fella wearing a balaclava waving a handgun at the teller. For some reason I thought it would be clever to chase him, so I did (I had an horrendous hangover at the time & was probably p*ssed off with the terror he had inflicted upon the bank staff).

He pointed his handgun at me three times as I ducked under cars & the likes but lost him in a housing estate. I found the gun, bag of money & his balaclava & gave it to plod when they turned up.

Got £300 reward for my troubles which came in handy at it was just after Christmas & I was skint. Wouldn't do it again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Saw a guy get beaten up for no reason other than glancing at a group of skangers on a train in Birmingham before. Scared the hell out of me. The carriage was full of grown men in suits all too afraid to stop these 7 tracksuit clad boys from beating up a 20 something man. All I can say is I hope that I never get started on because I don't for a second expect anyone to stand up and help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Attol wrote: »
    Saw a guy get beaten up for no reason other than glancing at a group of skangers on a train in Birmingham before. Scared the hell out of me. The carriage was full of grown men in suits all too afraid to stop these 7 tracksuit clad boys from beating up a 20 something man. All I can say is I hope that I never get started on because I don't for a second expect anyone to stand up and help me.

I take it your female?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I am. I was standing across the aisle when this happened. I was by myself. I was 17 at the time. There were groups of big looking guys around who did nothing. Oh and by beaten up I mean there was a pool of blood left where it happened. The floor was painted properly red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

September 11th.

was on my way to start college at SDSU and stopped off in New york to make a road trip of the journey out west with a friend. Saw the second plane hit the towers from the brooklyn bridge. Well it approaching and then the explosion.

I was also in a post office on the north strand when it was robbed by 2 armed fellas in balaclavas. I was only a kid though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Attol wrote: »
    I take it your female?

I take it you're male Chucky? Would you have stoods up and intervened? Would you expect your fellow male passengers to rally to your cause and stop this travesty?

From bitter bitter experience, this will not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

myself, my parents and my brother and my grandparents were held at gunpoint in our home in 1995. It was on my birthday too. So that was fun.

less serious - had bike stolen in uk, got it back from young scallies who tried to hit me with a hammer for my trouble. I picked up my bike to take it back and walked away with it, but they gave chase, so I stopped, turned round and used the bike as a weapon / to deflect attack from them and I hit them in the face with it.

They scarpered and I had to waste about 3 hours of my life giving a statement to the police down at the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I thought this was going to be an invitation to watch a serious crime. :mad:

Advertisement