Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unwanted Text Messages & How to Stop Them.

• 24-11-2007 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hello Everybody,

I am new to his forum and am not sure if it is in the right area but here goes.

My nephew aged 9 has been receiving these texts which appear to be deducting serious amounts of credit from his phone. He does not want them. What can he do to stop them as we have texted back please unsubscribe etc.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chevy RV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

ring your service provider (vodafone, 02....), they should have a list of premium rate numbers and their short codes (he is probably gettin texts from a 5 digit number which is the short code) if you dont know the number (short code)they can look it up for you. then ring the premium operator and ask to be unsubscribed from whatever service your son has signed up to. other wise ring Regtel who are a body who regulate premium rate providers.

when you have gotten your son unsubscribed warn him NOT to buy any ringtones and pictures from those ads he sees on tv etc. he is much safer buying them from his mobile operator who are more accessible when you need to make a complaint about credit dissapearing etc. those companies are a rip off and young children who do not understand that they are signing up to a subscription service that will eat their credit, are being targeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

The sad thing is that you don't need to specifically sign up to such things. See the case of Opera, who were warned by the Data Protection Commissioner, following their abuse of a database of numbers they had collected. When you sent a text in support of the Live8 thingy, as we were asked to do on TV etc., they stored your number and then began sending you unrelated messages.

They were forced, I think, to delete numbers that had been given for purposes other than direct marketing/"subscription services".

Each operator does indeed have a number you can use to report spam SMS. Vodafone's, as far as I remember, is 50005. I'll check that up.

EDIT: Checked. Number correct. Simply forward the offending SMS to that number.

EDIT[2]: O2's no. is 50455, Meteor's number is 50002. 3's number I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

hi, there is a sticky at the top of the first page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977632

it should be some help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello Everybody,

Thanks a million for all the helpful suggestions. There should be a solution to the problem in them. I will get him to try those options and will revert if further help is neccessary.

Again thanks for all the help.:D

Chevy RV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This post has been deleted.

reply to the next msg with stop then check out the RegTel site it will lead you through a form to find out what company is sending these messages

and you may be able to contact them if you feel your nephew is entitled to a refund as at 9years old he can hardly be charged for these services!!

Advertisement