Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Goofs

Options
  • 24-11-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I was just watching the film "Enemy at the Gates" and noticed the German sniper taking a shot when the bolt was open, I dont think so. So I googled it and it has been noticed before. If you look at the poster for the film you will also notice that the rifle, a Moison-Nagant M91/30, has a left hand bolt which is another boo boo as this weapon was never made in a left hand version, or so I am told. The film is rife with goofs, have a look at the link.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0215750/goofs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

These people have too much freakin' time on their hands.

I liked the movie.....

Why would you bother with details like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I liked the movie.....

Why would you bother with details like that?

I am an artist, the devil is in the detail as they say. I liked the movie too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

did you know that most cars won't blow up in a huge fireball when you crash them?

I didn't.

macnab wrote: »

I'm learning to be a macro economist - details cause me extra hassle!

What I meant is why would you go through a film just to find the goofs, and usually minor and trivial little points.

Just enjoy the movie for FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Then you must really hate movies where they use handguns to blow the locks off doors! Mythbusters tested this one thoroughly with lots of different lock types and lots of different guns. That was cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Then you must really hate movies where they use handguns to blow the locks off doors! Mythbusters tested this one thoroughly with lots of different lock types and lots of different guns. That was cool!

They also tried shooting different cal rifles and handguns into water to see how far they traveled. 50BMG just exploded on impact.

Didn't the .22s actually travel quite a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

They also tried the shooting the petrol tank trick with all types of firearms and no explosion! The only thing that did actually set it on fire was tracer and they had to fire them at a long distance to allow the phosphorous to ignite before hitting the petrol tank.

Just to stay relevant to the forum, they put a TARGET on the petrol tank :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

why would you go through a film just to find the goofs, and usually minor and trivial little points.

I think he was just watching the film and noticed the bolt instead of searching for goofs.:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Die Hard 2: Die Harder. "Glock-7 Proceline pistol".

Most irritating goof ever.

2347 wrote: »
    I think he was just watching the film and noticed the bolt instead of searching for goofs.:):)

Sorry - meant the people who write the goofs in imdb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Sorry - meant the people who write the goofs in imdb

Rest assured they never went to see those films with a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

..... If you look at the poster for the film you will also notice that the rifle, a Moison-Nagant M91/30, has a left hand bolt which is another boo boo as this weapon was never made in a left hand version, or so I am told.

This is very common on posters & DVD covers. It must have something to do with the artwork dept. You'll see a lot of right handed people with guns in their hands appear as left handed on posters/DVD covers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

packas wrote: »
    This is very common on posters & DVD covers. It must have something to do with the artwork dept. You'll see a lot of right handed people with guns in their hands appear as left handed on posters/DVD covers.
    The image has been mirrored/fliped i'd say.

Im told that the anti-landing craft emplacemnts in Saving Pte Ryan are backwards. There are supposed to be laods of things in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

In that 'goof' of a movie, 'Michael Collins', when Harry Boland is shot in the canal, in that scene we see a Free Stater fire off 8-10 rounds in a matter of seconds, now I know the Lee Enfield was known for its quick cycle, but I think thats taking it a bit too far :rolleyes:.

Wasnt Michael Ciane's character in Zulu also using a Webley revolver?

'Deathwatch' has British troops using No4 LE's in WW1 :rolleyes:

That is all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Quick question that isn't so much a film goof, but something that I always found odd. I was watching some Clint Eastwood film last night and there was a scene with two snipers. Before putting the bullets in to the rifles, they blew on the top of them. I've seen this in loads of films, and was just wondering is this for effect?

Bare in mind, all my knowledge of guns comes from 80's action movies, but the only reason I can think of to blow on the bullets is to blow off any dust, but I'd assume the act of hurtling through the air would remove any dust from the bullet anyway (and you never see them manically blowing down the barrel to get rid of the dust there!).

So why do they do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

'Deathwatch' has British troops using No4 LE's in WW1 :rolleyes:

IIRC "Blue Max" is even worse; it has German troops using No.4's in WWI

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

packas wrote: »
    Its normally caused by taking a still from the movie and flipping it for the DVD box so that it will fit better with text etc. Happens alot, but only spotted when guns, or non symetrical clothing is in the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

meant the people who write the goofs in imdb

I'd have to agree with you on that one:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

watched 'The Jackal' (the original) recently and it seems the rifle he had made was a .22 magnum?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I was just watching the film "Enemy at the Gates" and noticed the German sniper taking a shot when the bolt was open, I dont think so. So I googled it and it has been noticed before. If you look at the poster for the film you will also notice that the rifle, a Moison-Nagant M91/30, has a left hand bolt which is another boo boo as this weapon was never made in a left hand version, or so I am told. The film is rife with goofs, have a look at the link.

Lads

Last time I was at the local gun dealer we got to talking about this film, good flick. Anyway next thing I know out he came with a Moison-Nagant couldnt believe. Imported from the motherland with original optics stamped 1943 couldnt believe it. What a rifle so long but yet well balanced and light. He was raving about the great optics, couldnt believe how good they were etc.

Lovely bolt action, but crude wood work - like my old Baikal.

Anyway just though I would share that with the group as i know so of ye will get a kick out of it.

Best regards
    KY

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

did it have a left hand bolt? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Mellor wrote: »
    did it have a left hand bolt? ;)

:p:p:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

ah no :rolleyes:

Advertisement