Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fail xmas exams

• 25-11-2007 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

I was transferred to a diff course recently because there was an admin mistake and im sure im gonna fail my xmas exams because iv missed so much! What is the story with repeats for xmas exams??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Talk to your lecturers between now and the exams and try to get as much info on what you've missed. Lecturers generally are quite helpful to students who take the initiative to express an genuine interest in their education.

With regard to repeats, you can fail up to two modules (i.e. an outright F) per semester (max. of four in an academic year) and then repeat those. Repeat exams will be next August. If you get a compensatory fail (i.e. D1/D2) it depends on your overall QCA if you have to repeat them or not. If it's under 2.0 you must repeat, but if not you can choose if you want to repeat these grades or not. Please note that all repeats are capped at a C3 grade.

But let's focus on the positive: there's plenty of time between now and the exams for you to do some work so don't convince yourself just yet that you'll have to repeat. Look at past exam papers; talk to lecturers and tutors; talk to friends in the same modules - arrange for you to do a sample answer for a Q you can do and for a friend to do one you can't and then swap sample answers as study aids, for example.

One further word of advice - it sounds as if you're in first year? Yes? If so, don't worry too much. For first year, all you need to do is simply pass, so don't worry about trying to achieve a good QCA - just focus on having enough material to get a D2/D1 in the modules you're finding difficult and aim for Cs in the ones that aren't too bad to pull up your QCA to 2.0 to avoid repeating :)

Best of luck; I'm sure it won't be as bad as you're currently fearing! *hug* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Diamond007 wrote: »
    I was transferred to a diff course recently because there was an admin mistake
    :eek::eek:

That's hardly your fault. I suggest you give someone in Admissions and SAA (or whatever they're calling themselves this year) a ****in bollo<king!!

The I suggest you let the course director know your situation. That's a load of balls. someone's head should roll!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How could you possibly be transfered to a different course?! Surely you enrolled in a degree that you got thru CAO. How can Student Services change that?

If you were transferred from say one engineering degree to another the first year would be practically the same. If the courses are totally different then you can't be expected to be able to sit exams on such short notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

5uspect wrote: »
    How could you possibly be transfered to a different course?! Surely you enrolled in a degree that you got thru CAO. How can Student Services change that?

If you were transferred from say one engineering degree to another the first year would be practically the same. If the courses are totally different then you can't be expected to be able to sit exams on such short notice.

I was upgraded in my LC weeks ago and the admin office forgot to check the full list so i didn get a new cao offer. when admin figured out ther mistake bout two weeks ago i got a transfer. Iv gone from a lang course to a science course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In that case, I don't see what comeback you have considering you would have had the option to stick in the language course...talk to the course director anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How can you be expected to sit the exams so. As ninty9er says talk to your course coordinator or department head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If there's any justice in the system, you should qualify for I grades considering your circumstances if you fail them. I grades mean you can repeat them in the summer but they are not capped to a C3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rummybyrd

If there's any justice in the system, you should qualify for I grades considering your circumstances if you fail them. I grades mean you can repeat them in the summer but they are not capped to a C3.

Unfortunately, there is no justice in the system that will allow him to receive an I grade. The I grade committee meet to review the submissions for I grades and I know that this rationale won't cut the mustard.

I would definitely suggest you go to a number of people, first go to all your lecturers and explain the situation and ask for copies of the lecture notes and any handouts/readings that you have missed; also talk to all the TA's (teacher's assistant) who are at times more open to giving assistance than what the lecturer will give. Then I would suggest you talk to your class rep/or a second year student who has done the course and see if anyone might give you grinds on the modules you have problems with.

Have you missed out on course work - if so talk to the lecturer about whether your exam will be graded out of 100% or what?

If you are in 1st year your main goal is just to pass the course - never mind about high grades as your QCA doesn't count for 1st year.

Hope this helps and good luck in your exams.

Advertisement