Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Memories

Options
  • 25-11-2007 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I had a conversation recently at work about pubs that we used to frequent - but have long since closed down. We were talking about the Rank Bar on Thomas St. Nice bar that was a magnet for CIE workers.

Anyone remember the many good nights that were had at the "Stand" on Patrick's St.

I vaguely remember Foley's bar on either Lower Shannon Street or Lower Cecil Street - not too sure.

It just show's how quickly one can forget great old pubs in Limerick.

Have you any other pub memories?? Especially the pubs that have now disappeared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I used to love Quins on Ellen Street. Had a jukebox that had Sisters Of Mercy on it so I was sold, plus Scrumpy Jack on tap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The stand was a nice oul spot.

then there was the high stool where you could get an after hours pint. although it was frowned upon by members of the force.

was there one night when the lead singer of a heavy metal band came down and battered some fella because he booed them after they finished one of their songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Foleys is still on lower shannon street

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gallaghers down near the river was a decent pub years back too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Denis Clearys was a great spot. Had many a good night in Foleys as well. The 61 (?? ) up past the Windmill was a decent spot -only place I ever got asked to prove my age (even though I was in my 20s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Ah Gallaghers the memories. Mention for the twenty odd years olds for feathery bourkes on henry street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

then there was the high stool where you could get an after hours pint.
    Also great for getting in when you're 17 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

The Malibu on Cecil Street when Eamon Moynihan had it , Jack Rea's on Cathrine Street , and the Old Stand up on Henry Street . Mid to late 80's , ahhh those were the days .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

McKnights (now known as Players) on the top of Thomas Street.

Also the Desmond Arms on Catherine Street. Used go in there and head upstairs to Cheers Nite Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

Can anybody remember the name(s) of the pub where The Globe now is before it was called The Cecil.Not that it was great mind you but I used to go there a bit and my head is wrecked from trying to think of the name?

I used to love The Baker Place.Mainly downstairs but had good nights in the pub as well.I think there was something special about how deserted it could be but also some nights the place really rocked.Downstairs you could do pretty much anything you wanted.I remember falling on the dancefloor due to over-energetic headbanging and the bouncers didn't bat an eyelid.Also fell asleep a couple of times and was left alone---class.I am talking about Tuesday and Sunday nights.Other nights were not as relaxed when they played dance music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Wiseguys ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

sioda wrote: »
    Wiseguys ???

That is what it was called before the Globe came along, they had two guys who did all the cocktail making tricks. I used to love the Dog House when it first opened. Tims (now Players) was also a great bar.

Thanks Sioga.How could I forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

There was a pub near St Michaels Church, Joe Malones, that was a great old spot for the 'alternate' kind of hippy crowd. I'm talking about the 70's (when I shouldn't have been there) and early 80's. I remember it used to have some nice guitar players playing there (or am I dreaming all this??).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Have been racking my brain about the previous name of The Globe/Wiseguys..on the tip of my tongue.will come though.

Never a fan of Bakers..still not. think its a kip myself but each to their own.

Buddys bar was a mad ol spot in its day. Was only there once or twice but mad ol spot.
    Spent many a night under-ageing in the The Old Tom and The Old Stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

vkid wrote: »
    Have been racking my brain about the previous name of The Globe/Wiseguys..on the tip of my tongue.will come though.

Was that not the old cecil hotel , then the Malibu Bar , then The Cecil ?

Anyone remember "Saints & Scolars" just off Cornmarket Square. Overhead what is now known as "The Market" nite club?

The name was changed to "Wonkas" or somthing before it closed down a year or two ago.

Also does anyone remember the name of the bar that used to be on the ground floor in the Savoy centre underneath "Legends" nite club many years ago? The name escapes me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭adaminho

bazz26 wrote: »
    Anyone remember "Saints & Scolars" just off Cornmarket Square. Overhead what is now known as "The Market" nite club?

The name was changed to "Wonkas" or somthing before it closed down a year or two ago.

Also does anyone remember the name of the bar that used to be on the ground floor in the Savoy centre underneath "Legends" nite club many years ago? The name escapes me at the moment.

I recently found my membership card for club saints and tropics whilst clearing out my attic, will try get them scanned and up online.

adaminho wrote: »
    I recently found my membership card for club saints and tropics whilst clearing out my attic, will try get them scanned and up online.

Nice one. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

bazz26 wrote: »

I think it was simply called the Savoy Bar.

I remember before they developed the Savoy from a theatre to a Multiplex the bar there was called The Pink Elephant, My parents brought me there in the 80's after "tops of the town" which was on in the Savoy at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Here's one that might jog a few memories - does anyone remember the Oyster Bar. It was underneath the Supermacs building on Bedford row. It was one of two basement pubs that I remember in Limerick in the 80's. Power's on Patrick's Street was the other.

I had my first pint in Reddan's on Wolfe Tone Street when I was about 15 years old - God, I must have looked like a pissed Harry Potter in those days. Underage drinking was alive and well in the early 80's!

Tut, tut....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Quinns was my favorite for years as there was Sisters of Mercy and the Cure on the jukebox but later they removed all of that and replaced it with crap music on the juke box and later still converted the back to a gay night disco which kinda was totally useless to us non-gay folk.
    There are currently rumors of a re-union/reopening for a night!!!!!
    On UL's Student Handbook This pub was branded as a Gay Bar.
    But this was not true. It was always an alternative/Biker bar
    that was both gay and straight and scumbag friendly.

High stool I was never a fan. When Quinns turned crap
    there was a movement towards the High Stool but when that went
    crap peeps went back to quinns.

Costello's was always stable and an ol favorite of mine. Nice knowing
    the family and getting lifts home from them and ya got this feeling like
    the lounge of their pub with the leather sofa was like their own living room
    with the TV and fire on.

Other great pubs were Bobby Byrns. Army/old mans and young pups bar.

Henry's was the bar at the ground floor of the savoy once branded as
    the hardest place to get into while underage.
    (apart from Granny 40+ Teds and the Garfields in Hanrattys where you needed to be over 23!!) Completely boring bar apart from the photos
    from movies on the wall like the planet of the apes movies.

I had a gold card for Tropic's which was the ultimate jock club at the time
    before Doc's where you had free cloak room and discounts on drinks b4 midnight. Only had the card as a fellow FCA member worked there.
    I hated the place but my friends loved the place. Only scored twice in all
    my times there.

Saints night club. I got in under age as the bouncers who were Irish Army
    knew me from FCA and turned a blind eye. Crap music but quite like the chill
    out section upstairs where everyone got off in the toilets and chill out zone.

Docs. Years ago it was again the Ultimate Rich Kid/Posh Castletroy kid
    place to be, all the 2ndryt schools jocks went there,
    and all all the toffs and yobs frequenting there. Later
    of course it was frequented by total scumbags.

Nancy Blakes. in my day was Jock Bar and I hated the place,
    Too packed and a nightmare to get to the bar and jam packed
    with cocky assholes. (don't think anything has changed with the turn of the 21st century)

~B

I remember going to Henry's in the Savoy and then on up to Termights.When I first started going out we went to The Theatre Club near the Glentworth.Easy to get served underage but an absolute craphole full of dodgy heads downstairs where they had a pool table.Pool always seems to attract dodge for some reason.We had our secondary school break up night in Saints and Scholars.Never liked the place but then again I was used to Termights where you could have a huge moshfest without anybody getting upset about being banged into etc.I remember accidentally head butting a guy on the dancefloor and he barely even registered it.Ah those were the days.

How could I forget.I practically lived in Quins for five years.Always the same stools down near the end of the bar near the toilets.Every day after work from 6pm-11pm and Saturday and Sunday(7pm opening so we would be waiting around all afternoon to get the bus into town at 6:40pm)What a fantastic place it was back then(mid to late nineties).Great jukebox(I nearly spent as much on this as on drink).Great people generally.It was almost like a club where everybody knew everyone else.The only thing which was a pain was they stuck rigidly to the closing times.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

Shan75 wrote: »
    How could I forget.I practically lived in Quins for five years.Always the same stools down near the end of the bar near the toilets.Every day after work from 6pm-11pm and Saturday and Sunday(7pm opening so we would be waiting around all afternoon to get the bus into town at 6:40pm)What a fantastic place it was back then(mid to late nineties).Great jukebox(I nearly spent as much on this as on drink).Great people generally.It was almost like a club where everybody knew everyone else.The only thing which was a pain was they stuck rigidly to the closing times.

always flashed the lights at ten to eleven when it was eleven o clock closing.
    was a pain in the ring but never stopped us from going back. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

The Glory Hole ( later turned into The Sibin) which was in the basement of The George Hotel then go upstairs to Tropics later renamed Phase 2. During the Summer of 1995 on Saturday nights they used to stop the disco half way through and have this live band lowered onto the dance floor to play a few songs then back to the disco music. I remember The Outhere brothers playing there..... I've just realised how old I am now !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭trevufc

Shan75 wrote: »
    The Theatre Club near the Glentworth.QUOTE]

Was this known as Sharkeys as well?

old Mickey Martins was great.

Docs bar before the opened the disco was always a decent spot.

The Thirsty Scholar when they went for the student crowd was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

denismac wrote: »
    There was a pub near St Michaels Church, Joe Malones, that was a great old spot for the 'alternate' kind of hippy crowd. I'm talking about the 70's (when I shouldn't have been there) and early 80's. I remember it used to have some nice guitar players playing there (or am I dreaming all this??).

No! your spot on!! I remember Joe Malones' well. Yeah it was a sort of alternate/hippie/70's/Neil Young pub, there was some great informal gigs there and there was that old sort of traveller woman that used to sit in the bar downstairs suppin a glass of guinness. In fact I sold my guitar in that pub to Luka Bloom (barry Moore) who used to informally gig there when he was a student in the then N.I.H.E. I think Joe Malone died a few years ago, good 'ol sort he was.

Was this known as Sharkeys as well?

old Mickey Martins was great.

Not sure if it was called Sharkeys.Mickey Martins was good for a while.I remember going in there on Sundays and when the Simpsons would come on the pub would go quiet.We used to go the Still House after work on Fridays and then onto Mickeys.I cannot remember the attraction of the Still House as it was tiny but we still went every week for a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Gulliver's - I remember the name but can't for the life of me place this pub. Help - I can't remember loads of the 80's!

Advertisement