Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zonal or man-marking?

Options
  • 25-11-2007 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

I'm new to the FM games and I'm managing Newcastle at the minute. Sadly, like their real-life counterparts they are leaking a lot of goals. I have traditionally gone with a man-marking set-up but is it better to go with a zonal strategy if you are playing defensively as I have been?

Also, when applying a defensive strategy is it better to pass short or direct?

Would appreciate advice from the more seasoned veterans. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

When it comes to the centre of defence and a traditional back 4 with 2 CBs, I always go with the Zonal marking. Man marking will pull the 2 CBs out of position,

But, having said that, if im using 3 CBs in a formation, ill have the 2 left and right CBs set to tightly man-mark the opposing strikers, coupled with the centre-CB playing zonal (with a low Closing-Down setting) to mop up the loose balls.

As for the rest of the team, I would recommend always use Zonal marking. Again though, if using a 3-man centre midfield, setting one of your centremids to man-mark the opposition's playmaker can do wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I go man marking with the 2 CB's and zonal with everyone else. Seems to work nicely for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I tried utilising a zonal system with man marking for the CBs and noticed a considerable improvement. I've actually kept a few clean sheets now which is welcome indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I tried utilising a zonal system with man marking for the CBs and noticed a considerable improvement. I've actually kept a few clean sheets now which is welcome indeed.

Oh? I might have to try that myself... My team (everton) score loads, but let in loads too...

Advertisement