Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CREMO for Taiseoch!!

Options
  • 25-11-2007 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

A boards.ie mod who not only admits that (s)he was "harsh", but has the cojones to acknowledge the fact in public, and retract the ban imposed on the subject boards member.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54501079&postcount=22

KUDOS!!
    Subject line should read: Cremo for Taiseach!!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think most mods here are very fair people, so fair play to Cremo. He's always been a nice guy any time I've talked to him.

Goes to show that if you've got a genuine issue, it'll be straightened out, and it's great to see more threads that have nice resolutions like this lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I admit when I'm wrong.

It's just never happened. >_>

Hmmm. Recent trends: Less unreasonable Fight Da Powah muppets, and more "nice resolutions". I wonder if there's a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It happens more often that people think. It's just no one makes threads about those desicions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Taildragon wrote: »
    A boards.ie mod who not only admits that (s)he was "harsh", but has the cojones to acknowledge the fact in public, and retract the ban imposed on the subject boards member.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54501079&postcount=22

KUDOS!!
    Subject line should read: Cremo for Taiseach!!

Third time lucky............. Taoiseach.

Back on topic.

A moderator has a bad day, Uses their moderator privilages to "vent" by banning an innocent poster, later admits he is wrong and he should get an award ? FFS, this akin to me having a bad day, using my parenting privilages to give the young fellow a few slaps and because i say i am sorry its all OK ?

As was said earlier, people make mistakes, and apologise, noone is infalable (except for Bene of course)

Maybe this is more to do with the "percieved" arrogance of some of the moderators of boards, who knows ? Cremo said sorry, fair play, no award needed imho (not that he asked for one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's posts like this ^^^^^^ that makes being a mod worthwhile. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

oleras wrote: »
    A moderator has a bad day, Uses their moderator privilages to "vent" by banning an innocent poster, later admits he is wrong and he should get an award ? FFS, this akin to me having a bad day, using my parenting privilages to give the young fellow a few slaps and because i say i am sorry its all OK ?

Nope, it's more like having a bad day and snapping at your friends/family for no good reason but that they're unlucky enough to be around you. Later, you realise you behaved badly and apologised. If people held grudges every time I took a bad mood out on them, I'd have no friends left, and vice versa.

Faith wrote: »
    Nope, it's more like having a bad day and snapping at your friends/family for no good reason but that they're unlucky enough to be around you. Later, you realise you behaved badly and apologised. If people held grudges every time I took a bad mood out on them, I'd have no friends left, and vice versa.

I agree, but would you expect a reward because you said sorry ?

Hagar wrote: »
    It's posts like this ^^^^^^ that makes being a mod worthwhile. :rolleyes:

Why the roll-eyes Hagar ? Do you think because somebody said sorry they deserve a medal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Why the roll-eyes Hagar ? Do you think because somebody said sorry they deserve a medal ?

Nobody is looking for medals or reqards but it's sometimes nice to see users acknowledge that a mod had the decency to recognise when they were wrong and make amends. Simple as that really.

It's very easy for users to criticise mod decisions when they themselves have never been charged by the Admins, with keeping a forum tidy and running according to the rules...

You are the first person on this thread to mention 'rewards'...nobody else did ;)

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Nobody is looking for medals or reqards but it's sometimes nice to see users acknowledge that a mod had the decency to recognise when they were wrong and make amends. Simple as that really.

It's very easy for users to criticise mod decisions when they themselves have never been charged by the Admins, with keeping a forum tidy and running according to the rules...

You are the first person on this thread to mention 'rewards'...nobody else did ;)

maybe you missed the thread title ?

I am giving feedback on this thread and this thread alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

r3nu4l, oleras is saying that being taoiseach would be a reward. and let's face it, the perks and wage packet that eejit has it would be some reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No I do not think an award is deserved but I do think it takes a lot of guts to publicly admit making a mistake and apologising in front of God alone knows how many people.
    oleras wrote:
    using my parenting privilages to give the young fellow a few slaps and because i say i am sorry its all OK

I don't think it's particularly clever to take swipes at someone after they have apologised. The deed can't be undone and comparing them to someone beating a child is far from gracious.

I used the roll eyes smiley because I couldn't find this one handysmileyvy5.gif at the time.

Hagar wrote: »

I used the roll eyes smiley because I couldn't find this one handysmileyvy5.gif at the time.

Now you have gone and hurt my feelings...... :( . No need to make it personal.... sniff, sniff.....

maybe you missed the thread title ?

I am giving feedback on this thread and this thread alone.
    Maybe you're taking the thread title far too literally and seriously ?
    Cremo wrote: »
    r3nu4l, oleras is saying that being taoiseach would be a reward.
    As I said, maybe he's taking the thread title too seriously, the OP was only trying to highlight your graciousness in having the deceny to publicly admit you were wrong. The OP is giving you respect for doing what a lot of people find difficult. He's publicly acknowledging that you have strong moral fibre, are made of the right stuff, are a decent chap and a courageous old bean!...I've lived in England too long!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*hangs his coat off r3nu4l's still upper lip*

yes... you have.

Mordeth wrote: »

yes... you have.

Hee hee! Now now old boy, let's not derail this thread, That's just not cricket! :)

Oh, and failr play to you Cremo, good decision and good of you to reconsider your hasty decision. Please note, this praise should not be construed as an offer of reward, terms and conditions apply.

Maybe you're taking the thread title far too literally and seriously ?

As I said, maybe he's taking the thread title too seriously, the OP was only trying to highlight your graciousness in having the deceny to publicly admit you were wrong. The OP is giving you respect for doing what a lot of people find difficult. He's publicly acknowledging that you have strong moral fibre, are made of the right stuff, are a decent chap and a courageous old bean!...I've lived in England too long!

people find it difficult to admit they are wrong ? I would not know, i am not people, i am Me.

i would be more than happy, and on many occasion have apologised for being wrong, after all it means i have learned something that i didnt know, which is great ! But i dont expect to be made head of the country for it. :D

OK, im off to lunch, we may resume about 13.30, depends how much i eat;)

Hee hee! Now now old boy, let's not derail this thread, That's just not cricket! :)

Oh, and failr play to you Cremo, good decision and good of you to reconsider your hasty decision. Please note, this praise should not be construed as an offer of reward, terms and conditions apply.

keep the praise to the other thread please, this one is about the OP.

This is not a comment on cremo, and i think he understands that, i hope he does anyway.

Lunch !!

people find it difficult to admit they are wrong ?
    You would be surprised, have you never experienced that? Strange!
    i would be more than happy, and on many occasion have apologised for being wrong, after all it means i have learned something that i didnt know, which is great ! But i dont expect to be made head of the country for it. :D
    No, nor would I surprisingly!
    OK, im off to lunch, we may resume about 13.30, depends how much i eat;)
    Enjoy! :) Now I'm hungry :(

keep the praise to the other thread please, this one is about the OP.
    Did you know that there is an infraction that can be issued for 'Back-seat modding'? I'm not a big fan of the infraction system.
    Anyway, the OP says "KUDOS!" at the end of his post. Kudos, is defined as "an expression of approval and commendation", or to put it another way...praise. Therefore I am responding to the OP's giving of praise by saying that I agree with him ;)

• Advertisement

Did you know that there is an infraction that can be issued for 'Back-seat modding'?

care to explain ?

care to explain ?

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/user_infractions

Infractions are basically a system of warnings.

There is an infraction category on boards.ie for 'Back-seat modding', so if a non-mod tells another user to "stay on topic" or similar, a mod has the option of issuing an infraction to that user for 'Back-seat modding'. There is potential for inconsistency here as some forum mods like their users to participate in keeping things orderly while others detest it and prefer to be the only lawman.

I thnk the infraction is really only there to be used for those users who continuouly insist on telling other users what to do...or try to tell mods what they should be doing. I'm not a fan of that infraction, I believe users should have a voice but can understand that some users probably need the warning from time to time...but that's a whole other area for discussion and definitely not for this thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, it's nice and all that Cremo admitted a mistake was made and fixed it, but, don't you think it reflects poorly that such is the extraordinary nature of the occurence that it was worthy of a thread?

Did you know that there is an infraction that can be issued for 'Back-seat modding'?

QFT.

So, let me get my head around this..... i ask you, a poster* on feedback to keep on topic, you, a poster*, warn me about backseat modding, quoating an infraction system for same. Should you not get an infraction for backseat modding my backseat modding ?

* unless i missed the memo and you are a feedback mod ? In which case i have no trouble apologising !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

QFT.

So, let me get my head around this..... i ask you, a poster* on feedback to keep on topic, you, a poster*, warn me about backseat modding, quoating an infraction system for same. Should you not get an infraction for backseat modding my backseat modding ?

* unless i missed the memo and you are a feedback mod ? In which case i have no trouble apologising !

infractions are only given out by the mods.

I think Cremo should be rewarded, in the sense that he should get a few pats on the back and the auld "Fair play."

Tbh Oleras, would you rather he's chastised for his mistake? That scenario would present a lot of problems, and maybe some mods wouldn't be as quick to admit fault in the future, and stick to their guns out of fear of reprehension? I'd much rather the guy gets a few hurrahs and well dones for fessing up.

I think Cremo should be rewarded, in the sense that he should get a few pats on the back and the auld "Fair play."

Tbh Oleras, would you rather he's chastised for his mistake? That scenario would present a lot of problems, and maybe some mods wouldn't be as quick to admit fault in the future, and stick to their guns out of fear of reprehension? I'd much rather the guy gets a few hurrahs and well dones for fessing up.

I dont want anybody chastised Karl. This aint about cremo, i have said that, what happened in the other thread has all that sorted, pats on the back and everything, last time i looked its not locked so praise should be kept there.

i didnt think there was a need to start a thread in feedback to reward a mod for admitting they done wrong, thats it plain and simple.

Yeah I get your point, the 2 threads should probably be merged, there's no need for excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

nipplenuts wrote: »
    OP, it's nice and all that Cremo admitted a mistake was made and fixed it, but, don't you think it reflects poorly that such is the extraordinary nature of the occurence that it was worthy of a thread?
    Don't know that it is such an extraordinary occurrence, tbh.

Jeez, poor ol' Cremo! He has a bad day, makes a bad call, gets hauled into Feedback, has another look at the situation and acknowledges that a mistake has been made, fixes it and apologises ... should be end of, imho.

Instead, somebody with probably good intentions starts another thread to say "well done" and takes it a bit OTT, and another argument starts, which may not be "about Cremo" but he's still stuck in the middle of it.

Mordeth wrote: »

yes... you have.
    Stiff, Mord, stiff ... do you have a problem managing that?! :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Karoma wrote: »
    I admit when I'm wrong.

It's just never happened. >_>

Hmmm. Recent trends: Less unreasonable Fight Da Powah muppets, and more "nice resolutions". I wonder if there's a link?

I've only ever been wrong once. That was when I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was right ;)

Advertisement