Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

climbing gear!

Options
  • 25-11-2007 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

hey, not sure if this is the right place, but i couldn find anywhere else to post!

right heres the deal, over the last two or so weeks, ive joined a big sports center, and it has a climbing wall in it. i did a test thing that they had so i can lead climb and belay safely, so now i can do it on my own. now its a euro per hour for the wall but for all the equipment its another 5 euro ontop of that, so i was wondering how much would it be to actually buy all the stuff i need. i just want to see if it would be worth my wile, and nobody at the club seams to be able to tell me, cos all the climbing staff arnt there when im there.

so anyway, what im lookin for is a good website or shop in the midlands or dublin where i can price up these things,

a good harness
    climbing shoes
    a belay thing- the thing that clips into the harness so you can belay, sorry for my ignorance at this time :D

thank you people!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Great Outdoors has harnesses for around 70-100eur.
    Shoes are around 70-110eur.
    Carabina clips are around 20eur.

Just go upstairs in Great Outdoors off grafton st. and you'll find it all in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

the great outdoor has a great selection of gear and can pick up a good harness for about 70 and shoes for 80 all you need on top of that for a indoor wall is a chalk bag= 20 chalk ball=3 screw gate crab=10 and a belay=10

i would be weary about ebay for this gear as alot of it is from eastern europe and i think is far too cheap to put your life on it! always make sure it has the CE mark!

btw, if u don't mind, can i ask where u go for climbing???
    I climb usually in WestWood, Colntarf.

i dont really use the indoor wals i do a lot of climbing in dalkey and lahinch in clare!

i joined the wall in ucd to keep up the fitness for the winter and had to do my test there:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

btw, if u don't mind, can i ask where u go for climbing???
    I climb usually in WestWood, Colntarf.
    well im studing in tcd so im using there wall, for a hours climb with all you need bar shoes, and chalk is 6 euro, which isnt bad, if its a once off thing, but ive been going once a week for a while now for a bit of fun and i love it, so i reckon it will be cheeper in the long run!

went today, was great crack, got over a bit that i couldn get last week! had to jump a bit for it! im tellin ya i was sweattin after it! its great crack! :D

climbing is awesome...
    I'm studying in rcsi so i go to westwood with the climbing club... Though i'm a member of westwood, i only pay for the shoes which is €1.50 there.
    Its really great, i keep gettin better every week and manage to climb over stuff more easily. I climb till my arms are completely wrecked and they've got absolutely no energy left to grab anything!

I'm trying to organise a trip to dalky sometime soon for some more outdoor experience...

had to jump a bit for it! im tellin ya i was sweattin after it! its great crack! :D

ah the old dynos are great you do be weary of doing them on real rock though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

ah the old dynos are great you do be weary of doing them on real rock though:D

id fckin say so!! haha

i was watchin some documentary about two weeks ago where some lad as showin how you would survive in a mountain area, he just flew up this fairly high wall, with no harnes or anything, and the camera man there strugling to keep up with him with a harnes and stuff!!! mad man!

he just flew up this fairly high wall, with no harnes or anything, and the camera man there strugling to keep up with him with a harnes and stuff!!! mad man!

his name wasnt micheal reardon was it he is a legend he used to solo up some of the hardest climbs in the world dont know how he done....

• Advertisement
Advertisement