Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VRT Bands in todays Indo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

cyborg wrote: »
    Are they not currently 30% all being over 1.9?

Ballcocks , forgot the 318s were 2 litres!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Peoples interest in underpowered 4 pot BMW's here is bordering on obesessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Am I right in saying the current VRT band for the new1.8 Mazda 6 is 25%.

What are the emissions on the new 1.8 and what would the VRT be under the new proposals?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

soundbyte wrote: »

What are the emissions on the new 1.8 and what would the VRT be under the new proposals?

Thanks

This link was posted in the form of an image earlier on:

http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Matt Simis wrote: »
    This link was posted in the form of an image earlier on:

http://www.smmtco2.co.uk/co2search2.asp

THanks, but it doesn't rate the 2008 model.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 HarryHood

E92 wrote: »
    The BMW 318i, 318d and 320d all attract 16% under the new scheme.

The 316i will attract 20% under the new scheme correct? (down from 25%).

Can't get a definitive answer from the dealer - told them if it's true and the 316 RRP plummets I'd rather get better value and opt for a diesel (as advised here earlier-thanks). He told me he'd get back to me.

Does the fact that the car has been ordered and built mean I can kiss my deposit goodbye or could I just let the dealer hold the deposit until July as a deposit on a 318d. Mind you, he's then stuck with a 316 to try and sell.

What to do..........??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Thanks

The current one is 184g/km, which would be 28%. Have they changed the engine for the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MGrah

Aidan Mc wrote: »

I can fully understand the person with a car putting out 220g/km yet travelling 5000kms versus a person with a car doing 120g/km doing 25000kms. You're right, it's not very fair at all. I think most people would acknowledge that putting the tax on fuel would be best because it peanalises those who use the most of it and means that those who choose to drive very little pay little tax.

I'd take a slightly different view on this that I think goes against the grain of most people here. I think there's a positive side to the way this tax will be applied over the idea of putting the tax on fuel.

This way of looking at it is based on efficiency rather than use. So someone driving a 220g/km car only doing 5,000 kms is being highly inefficient in their motoring by comparison to the chap doing 25,000 kms in a car with 120g/km. Unfortunately it's a fact of modern life in Ireland that people have put themselves into a situation where they have long commutes to work etc and penalising them for this might be difficult to get through, although I would definitely agree that some form of level of use charge should be included.

I'd say there's probably a medium in there that covers both the low mileage inefficient road user and the high mileage efficient user. If the motivation for this is genuinely environmental, there should be an emphasis on emissions as well as fuel efficiency (which a fuel based tax would centre on) even though the two are obviously heavily linked.

As an aside - how do people think this will effect the second hand market - obviously there should be drop

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

MGrah wrote: »
    As an aside - how do people think this will effect the second hand market - obviously there should be drop

Anyone who has recently bought a 2.0 L or larger diesel car can expect to loose around 10% of the value of their car overnight! ( assuming VRT rate dropping from 30% to ~20% on new car)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Anyone who has recently bought a 2.0 L or larger diesel car can expect to loose around 10% of the value of their car overnight! ( assuming VRT rate dropping from 30% to ~20% on new car)

true, but the cost of change will come down too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭20LEgend

Quick question lads,

If i purchased a new BMW 320d up the north next year and didnt officially declare it and pay the vrt on it until after 1/07/08 would i make the saving of the reduced rate of 16% instead of 30%?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Mathematically thats incorrect unless you intentionally mean car value will drop by a larger proportion than the VRT drop, which is just a part of the cars value.

€100k Car:
    30% Rate €77k + €23.1k = €100.1k RRP
    20% Rate €77k + €15.4k = €92.4k RRP

On top of that, actual large engined (3.0+) diesel cars are likely to go up in price as they will be in the max bracket (over 225 CO2 g/KM).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

20LEgend wrote: »
    Quick question lads,

If i purchased a new BMW 320d up the north next year and didn't officially declare it and pay the vrt on it until after 1/07/08 would i make the saving of the reduced rate of 16% instead of 30%?
    Cheers

First of all its illegal for a Irish resident to drive a UK reg car in Ireland for more than 24hrs of importing it.
    But putting that to one side, if you are not caught by garda/Customs, your car would need to be more than 6 months old and more than 6000kms on it before 1/7/08 or you will end up paying 21% vat on top of whatever VRT %.
    If your going to do this, at least get a 6month old /6000km car in NI. just in case.

This new VRT bands will make very little difference if your trading in. the Price of both the New and the old car will reduce (maybe not by the same %)

the OMSP will reduce on imported cars, which means that dealers will have to sell their 2nd hand cars for less to be "competitive" if there's such a word in the Irish motor industry.
    Putting Taxes on Fuels would have negative impact on the Commercial drivers in Ireland, and would be past on to us as a consumer in transport cost, so a double whammy for the consumer on top of our own fuel costs.

Heres an interesting point, if you or a small time dealer buys high CO2 luxury cars now (the big Lexus Hybrid is a perfect example) you/they should make a nice profit next year if they sell it after the changes because the OMSP will be more. Assuming people will buy it then.

Major questions to be answered:
    Will VRT changes apply to pre-july 2008 imports after july 2008?

and will similar motor tax changes apply to pre tax change cars already registered in the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Mathematically thats incorrect unless you intentionally mean car value will drop by a larger proportion than the VRT drop, which is just a part of the cars value.

€100k Car:
    30% Rate €77k + €23.1k = €100.1k RRP
    20% Rate €77k + €15.4k = €92.4k RRP

On top of that, actual large engined (3.0+) diesel cars are likely to go up in price as they will be in the max bracket (over 225 CO2 g/KM).

your maths are wrong see post 148 for explaination as to how VRT is worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

My mazda 3 mps is 231 g/km so looks like a hike from 30% to 36% vrt. Glad i bought it this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE radio 1 is talking about the new bands and related matters now.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

MGrah wrote: »
    I'd take a slightly different view on this that I think goes against the grain of most people here. I think there's a positive side to the way this tax will be applied over the idea of putting the tax on fuel.

This way of looking at it is based on efficiency rather than use. So someone driving a 220g/km car only doing 5,000 kms is being highly inefficient in their motoring by comparison to the chap doing 25,000 kms in a car with 120g/km. Unfortunately it's a fact of modern life in Ireland that people have put themselves into a situation where they have long commutes to work etc and penalising them for this might be difficult to get through, although I would definitely agree that some form of level of use charge should be included.

I'd say there's probably a medium in there that covers both the low mileage inefficient road user and the high mileage efficient user. If the motivation for this is genuinely environmental, there should be an emphasis on emissions as well as fuel efficiency (which a fuel based tax would centre on) even though the two are obviously heavily linked.

For me, that analysis is spot on. Some people on here seem to want a tax on fuel so they are free to buy an M3, RS4 etc. for their weekend frolics while the poor schmuck who has no choice but endure the purgatory of a 100 mile round trip to work everyday in a 1.5 diesel gets screwed. Without a viable public transport alternative a tax on fuel would not only be electoral suicide, it would be unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Apparently we have a problem with CO2 emissions, i.e. fuel usage.

Govt response?
    Do not impose a usage tax, but do impose an ownership tax.

How about the Govt Ministers being forced to pay BIK on their State cars? With driver, the benefit has to be in the order of €100,000 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    your car would need to be more than 6 months old and more than 6000kms on it before 1/7/08 or you will end up paying 21% vat on top of whatever VRT %.
    If your going to do this, at least get a 6month old /6000km car in NI. just in case.

On thing I don't understand about this is:

a) If I buy a uk car that's 3 months old but has 8000km on it, do I have to pay VAT?

b) If I get a uk car that's 7 months old with 3000km on it do I have to pay VAT?

Can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

daRobot wrote: »
    On thing I don't understand about this is:

a) If I buy a uk car that's 3 months old but has 8000km on it, do I have to pay VAT?

b) If I get a uk car that's 7 months old with 3000km on it do I have to pay VAT?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Yes and yes, it must be both

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The BMW 318i, 318d and 320d all attract 16% under the new scheme.

If fact the 318i attracts 20%, as does the 316i, and 320i. Sorry for giving people the wrong information. The diesels are 16% though, and the prices I calculated earlier for the 3 series are still correct however.

On the plus side the 325i with it's "gas guzzling" 3.0 litre straight 6 is going down from 30% to 24% though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE radio 1 is talking about the new bands and related matters now.

Mike.

i heard the end of it. Cyril McHugh is talking sh1te about the "new cars pollute" less thing, and in particluar about people importing "dirty old" cars. He has about as much interest in saving the planet as Jeremy Clarkson. he is interested merely in making the SIMI more money. As Óisín Coughlan from friends of the earth said, buying a new car is equivalent to 2 years worth of average driving in terms of pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

smcgiff wrote: »
    I put a €1,000 deposit (via Credit Card) last week on a 179g CO2 Alfa 159 TI 2.4 JTDM. Cost of car was €52.9k.

Don't worry, the 1k will be tiny in comparisson to the depreciation on a 53000 Euro Alfa Romeo. Chalk it down to experience ;)
    Golferx wrote: »
    You'll tell them, IF YOU ARE ASKED ? Which is my point, SIMI do not tell the customer voluntarily.

Actually, it has little to do with the SIMI, and is entirely down to the policy at the Dealership. As Colm has pointed out, some Dealers will not bother as your average Panda buyer probably doesn't even know what VRT is. And then, every quote I do has both VAT and VRT itemised.

My little works 's' is a 1.6 car, but spitting out 207 g/100kms. So VRT as a 1.6 isn't too bad, but when the emmissions come in, it would have been horrific to do it in the future!
    pburns wrote: »
    Is ned or colm or any anyone from the trade out there to give an informed contribution to this? Was this known in the trade before today?

To be honest, speaking for myself, we know nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

New model Rav4 - 2 litre petrol. Checked the CO2 listing - it's 202g.

According to Toyota, under the new scheme a brand new one will therefore attract a new % of VRT bringing the price new to around 39,000, about 4 grand more than it's current price new.

What will the likely knock-on effect on 2nd hand Ravs be?
    This time next year will a '07 RAV 4 (2.0 Pet) be worth more on a trade-in (because a new one will cost more) OR will they be hugely unpopular, thereby resulting in smaller trade-on offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its a load of bollocks imo , differant car sizes dont really ,matter cause a saab 95 on bio feul will do better miles then a toyota starlet or toyota corolla for example... but you have to pay more vrt :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Thanks

The mazda site says the new 1.8 has a 27g/km reduction fron the previous model which would make it 157g/km or 24% VRT under the new proposals, so no change really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭james92

Hi guys i dont understand the new vrt thats coming in.
    iv booked a new mazda 3 1.6 petrol saloon for jan 08. its 21900. will i be down money in july if i buy it.

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Lads I know you're all talking about cars dropping in value but what about a car than WAS based on 30% VRT and under the new proposals WILL be based on 36% - surely that could end up interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lets all each buy a LS600h !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

MarkN wrote: »
    Lads I know you're all talking about cars dropping in value but what about a car than WAS based on 30% VRT and under the new proposals WILL be based on 36% - surely that could end up interesting.

I was thinking the same thing;
    In my case (I think) it will work in my favour now that i'm changing in Jan '08. Im trading in a small diesel engined car and the VRT changes will mean that come July it will be cheaper to buy new - knock on effect is that it reduces the value of my current car after July. (VRT going down from 25% to 16%)
    I'm changing to a 1.6 turbo car in Jan '08, which the VRT on will increase from 25% to 28% - after July. Must help resale value? I actually predicted this back in August!

Advertisement