Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VRT Bands in todays Indo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Basically to sum it up, decent cars are going to get more expensive than they already are.

What a joke.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

daRobot wrote: »
    Basically to sum it up, decent cars are going to get more expensive than they already are.

What a joke.

well your summation is certainly a joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

copacetic wrote: »
    well your summation is certainly a joke..

Tell me how i'm so wildly inaccurate then, oh wise one?

Are the top end cars getting cheaper?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Tell me how i'm so wildly inaccurate then, oh wise one?

Are the top end cars getting cheaper?

plenty of decent cars are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

DaveBH wrote: »
    What will the likely knock-on effect on 2nd hand Ravs be?
    This time next year will a '07 RAV 4 (2.0 Pet) be worth more on a trade-in (because a new one will cost more) OR will they be hugely unpopular, thereby resulting in smaller trade-on offers?
    I'd say the latter, especially as there is a much more VRT friendly diesel available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

What a joke.

I would consider the BMW 320d m sport or Audi 2.0 TDI Sportline Decent cars

Also very tempting is a UK import Alpina D3 200BHP and 156Co2

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/
    this type of car should see major savings with the new(proposed) VRT.

Assuming Dealers pass on the savings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What will hapen if manufacturers/distributors/dealers decide not to pass on VRT savings on lower emissions vehicles next year?

Just theoretically like? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Then I would hope the free market takes effect. If Irish people see an opportunity to go to england and import a new car themselves, reregistering it here and paying VRT themselves then irish dealers will be forced to pass on the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    Assuming Dealers pass on the savings.

It has nothing to do with Dealers, and everything to do with Distributors. However, most Distributors wish to harmonise EU pre-tax prices, so yes, we should see some prices fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Couple of posts deleted. This thread is long enough without off topic posts. It's about new cars, not second hand ones!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Anyway that car has according to the dash photo just 1308 km, which is a shade over 800 miles, which to me seems to be as good as a new car.

I will repeat(since some people seem to have not read my posts/read them but want to pretend what I'm saying isn't true in spite of it being EU law) that the saving from VRT HAS to be passed on to consumers. If dealers/car makers DON'T pass on the saving, they are breaking the law.

To say that they can't or won't pass on the saving is to be oblivious to the EU's block exemption rules(which came in 2003), and I quoted some of them in a post in page 7, post Nr 128 of this thread.

The reason they have have to pass on the saving is very simple: Block Exemption requires that the pre tax prices throughout the EU must be the same. So if you buy a 320d in Germany or in Sweeden on in Denmark and all are of identical spec, the the pre tax prices will be exactly the same. The manufacturers are allowed charge a RHD premium, but it must be a very small one(as in a few % more than the pre tax price than a LHD car). So if the VRT saving is not passed onto consumers here, then the prices everywhere else in the EU will have to go up, and I don't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

unkel wrote: »
    Couple of posts deleted. This thread is long enough without off topic posts. It's about new cars, not second hand ones!

VRT also effects second hand imports......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good to see the SBP confirm all this, pity we're getting no enlightenment on the annual motor tax though.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Good to see the SBP confirm all this, pity we're getting no enlightenment on the annual motor tax though.

Mike.

You should have read the Sunday Times yesterday, it explains that from Feb-July, the hike will be 9% on the existing rate for anything < 2400cc, and 11% for anything >2400cc. In July, the system will be changed so as to copy the VRT system i.e. road tax will be done on emissions from 1/7/08.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Based on all this I'm going to tax my car for a year from now.

2ltr and 231g/km emissions. :eek:

What kind of car have you got, kaiser sauze?

E92 wrote: »
    What kind of car have you got, kaiser sauze?

A year 2000 petrol automatic. The equivalent manual only emits 214g/km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

E92 cheers I usually buy the ST but not yesterday.

Mike.

been looking at some cars that will be effect negatively by the new VRT bands, one that stands out is the 1.4 Golf GT ,the 170bhp turbo/super charged engine.

it has C02 Emissions of 173, around the same as a BMW 330d ! so anyone ordering one of those, should register it before July 2008 or consider something else.

If the Motor tax goes the same way it will also go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Based on all this I'm going to tax my car for a year from now.

2ltr and 231g/km emissions. :eek:
    Wouldn't it make more sense to tax for a year from just before the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, tomorrow is D Day. Should make for interesting reading, I was speaking to one of the girls in our accounts, and she's heading away for the day to a seminar to digest it all. She made mention though, the there's a rumour of 2 registration periods in a year, like the UK. Anyone else heard anything of the sort?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make more sense to tax for a year from just before the change?

I think I'll wait until after budget day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Wow, didn't realise that diesel was taxed 6 cent less than petrol. Can't see that lasting (I thought McCreevy already got rid of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ned78 wrote: »
    there's a rumour of 2 registration periods in a year, like the UK. Anyone else heard anything of the sort?

That'd get the plate snobs in a tizzy! Would be very surprised if this became a reality (but not opposed)

JHMEG wrote: »
    Wow, didn't realise that diesel was taxed 6 cent less than petrol. Can't see that lasting (I thought McCreevy already got rid of it).
    Didn't know it either. That won't last, since if VRT if really going to be based on CO2, there will be a mass exodus from filling up at the green pump, so the Government will stand to lose a lot of money, not this year and it won't make much of a difference next year, but in coming years it certainly will. I would expect diesel prices to start heading up. I wonder what will happen biofuel, the current VRT rebate is going because as John Gormley said people can buy these cars but there is no way of knowing if people are actuaslly filling up with E85, and he reckons most people are buying them cause of the VRT reduction and then fillling up with petrol, which defeats the purpose. If the Government wants to get people using it, it will have to make it cheaper to run than petrol and diesel, because I know a litre of it costs I think it is 20% less than petrol, but it goes 30% less far than petrol, so it is dearer to run the car on E85 that it is for petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1not24get

From annex d of budget 2008.....happy days!!!

'The VRT rate applicable to new and used imported cars registered on or after 1 July 2008 will be determined by the CO2 emission rating of the car and will no longer be related to engine size.'

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2008/downloads/AnnexD.pdf

1not24get wrote: »
    From annex d of budget 2008.....happy days!!!

'The VRT rate applicable to new and used imported cars registered on or after 1 July 2008 will be determined by the CO2 emission rating of the car and will no longer be related to engine size.'

http://www.budget.gov.ie/2008/downloads/AnnexD.pdf

Don't think the Irish Motor Industry will be happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

But what can they do with Desiel?
    Yet another tax??
    Ill be one of the first to go over to the UK and get my BMW 320D which is very low in the Co2 radar.

Advertisement