Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Addictive dog food?

Options
  • 25-11-2007 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

Please feel free to point and laugh if this is completely stupid, but i have a question re brands of dog food.

I generally tend to stick to the same brand of dog food for my two pooches, as once they're happy with it, so am I. recently though, someone thought it would be a good investment to buy about 12 cases of a particularly well known brand of dog food, as it was incredibly good value. In fairness, the dogs have been eating it with gusto, and seem to really like it.
    In an unrelated conversation about a week later, a girl told me that her vet advised her NEVER to feed dogs this particular brand, as there were chemicals in it that made it addictive to dogs so that they would never be happy with any other brand.
    While I admit that this sounds far fetched, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has ever such rumours? The last thing I want is two junkied up madra's injecting liquidized Brand X dog food into their arms behind the garden shed :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

There is one brand I heard a rumour that there's a whole lot of sugar in it, which is bad for dogs. This is a major brand also.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

One of the big brands is well known for addictive ingredients...in their tinned offering anyway, don't know about the dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I do know a few of the big brands have 'appetite enhancers', essentially a well dogey way of getting the dog to eat more and you to pay more. I recommend Wellbeloved dog food and would suggest you google for more info. More expensive but when it comes to dog food you def get what you pay for.

Don't be afraid to research a lot into this area the net is a wealth of info when it comes to this. I wouldn't touch most of the big brands with a bargepole though... Loaded with all sorts of crap that is, at best, unncessary for the dog(think runny, bulked poos) and at worst potentially harmful in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Back Stabbath

A lot of dog foods have sugar, chemicals and lots of other **** to make the dog eat more of it.
    I would not feed anything but either a natural raw fresh food diet or Burns dog food. You get it at the vets. Don't buy 'science diets', they are not very good, or food like Pedigree chum, its crap. Just read the ingredients! Its justhooves, skin, corn meal and other **** like that. A lot of health problems are caused by dog food. Odour, bad breath, itchiness, staining around the eyes, gas, allergies, etc. can all be due to feeding bad food.

Look up Burns and read the ingredients, you'll be pleasantly surprized! Its all just, chicken, carrots, etc. Instad of derivitives of vegatable and animal origin on other foods. Its the only Holistic food you can get in Ireland that I'm aware of, they have a bigger selection in places like America.

Good luck!

Advertisement