Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beeping at Gardai

Options
  • 25-11-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

Had a Garda car who was in the left hand lane leaing onto a roundabout the other day with me in the right hand lane. I was taking the 3rd exit on the right. As I kept going around, so did the Garda. It was obvious that he too was taking the 3rd exit.

To avoid an accident I backed off and left him through the exit first. I was thinking of beeping the horn but I thought this might only lead to me getting a cavity search.

Anyone ever beep the horn at a Garda for bad driving or to potentially avoid an accident due to bad driving by a squad car ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I gave a garda car a good lash of the horn a few years back, was pulled in for a bit of a talking to, but he knew he was well in the wrong. However wasn't worth the delay in being stopped which he knew..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

You are of course legally allowed to do it to prevent a crash, Id only do it as a last resort though - not worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Probably not worth the hassle to be honest i'm sure they could make up all sorts of stuf to do you on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not worth it, you're not going to achieve anything other than release frustration.
    They do advanced courses afaik, probably more highly trained than most drivers. The gardai on motorcycles are superb

If an accident is likely though, then go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Oh and make sure your Tax is in order before ye try it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I flashed at the gardai last week for leaving their high beams on facing me on a back road. Could hardly see a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Shouldn't flash either.
    The rules of the road say your not supposed to flash/beep if someone has their high beams on - supposed to pull down your visor and slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They may be the rules, but I think common sense has to come into play here, it's a lot safer for the culprit with the full beams on to get a quick flash then for him to be blinding a queue of 20 cars on a dark narrow country road. And a visor wont do much when you're up high in a van or especially a truck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a few years ago, a colleague of mine had a near miss because of this maneouvre, and he did blow the horn.

He was pulled over, and berated.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I overtook a police car that was doing 40 in a 60 zone, he followed me home and accused me of speeding. We traded plesantries for 20 minutes and he finally F'ed off back to stupidville. I know a good few decent cops, but its not worth taking the chance that the one you are dealing with is the power junky type. Grin and bare it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

micmclo wrote: »
    If an accident is likely though, then go ahead.
    Avoiding an accident would be much more beneficial than sounding the horn. Generally, if you have time to sound the horn, you should have time to avoid an accident.

OP - bear in mind that the Gardai are technically exempt from most of the Road Traffic Regulations while 'on duty'.

I was pulled over and subjected to almost an NCT-like test at the side of the road for overtaking a patrol car which was travelling below the posted speed limit. The Garda seemed disappointed to find everything in order. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

So a Garda is in order to use the wrong lane going onto a roundabout for no reason ? I seriously doubt that. That's just bad driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Niall1234 wrote: »
    So a Garda is in order to use the wrong lane going onto a roundabout for no reason ? I seriously doubt that
    I didn't say it was 'in order' that they do so!

They have a duty of care just like anyone else but I doubt very much whether they could be prosecuted unless someone was seriously injured or killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

They do advanced courses afaik, probably more highly trained than most drivers.

fyi a large number of them don't have advanced training done, and are driving on a "supers" - that is written permission of a superintendent once you have a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Shouldn't flash either.
    The rules of the road say your not supposed to flash/beep if someone has their high beams on - supposed to pull down your visor and slow down.

The car was parked up at the side of the road anyway.

coolmoose wrote: »
    fyi a large number of them don't have advanced training done, and are driving on a "supers" - that is written permission of a superintendent once you have a full licence.

That is indeed the case. Its only in the UK that every cop has done the advances driving courses.

Not here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

OP - bear in mind that the Gardai are technically exempt from most of the Road Traffic Regulations while 'on duty'.

So they can drive like impatient knobheads then around roundabouts then bust some idiot for doing the exact same thing..............:mad:

Would be nice for every garda car to be fitted with a device which would log everytime a garda car went over the speed limit with its lights/siren on. Quite possible to do with a sat nav system installed.

Would certainly put a lot of cops in order who don't seem to give a **** about their own driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DavidKay

Howabout a ' do you like my driving' sticker with Freephone No on the back of their cars so we could phone in our comments without the likelyhood of a roadside strip search

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I had an incident similar before with a Garda van, and I gave a light tap of the horn. More to point out what was done was stupid.

To be fair, if we did it - they would have us pulled over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

jimbo78 wrote: »
    You are of course legally allowed to do it to prevent a crash, Id only do it as a last resort though - not worth the hassle

I know a guy who beeped at a lady who was about to pull out in front of him...he beeped and then let her in...the guy was seen beeping by 2 gardai on bikes and he got 80euro fine and 2 points for "aggressive driving"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

They do advanced courses afaik, probably more highly trained than most drivers.
    Given that up until very recently a lot of them were on 'supers' that is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

ballooba wrote: »
    Given that up until very recently a lot of them were on provisional licences that is laughable.

Given that driving offences are mostly tackled by the Traffic Corps, and the fact that all Traffic Corps members must have the full advanced course certificate, I somehow doubt that "a lot of them were on provisional licenses". No full license, no driving of PSVs, period. The actual amount driving on Superintendent's permission is tiny, and only in extreme circumstances, where there are no other qualified drivers.

If you think for one second that a Garda would let himself be driven by an unqualified colleague, its a bit of an insult, to be frank.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I've done it a few times. Once a copper was driving on the wrong side of the road with no lights on. I beeped and flashed! I got pulled in, he started yapping on about how he was a gaurd etc etc. I stopped him mid-sentance and just said "Sorry..... If I done what you just did then I would be pulled in and hassled and slapped with fines and court appearances. Now I can call your super and inform him of why you pulled me in or just politley tell you to **** off. Its your choice." He just got in his car and left. He knew I done nothing wrong so I just let rip. Although for a few weeks the car was stopped every night for any sort of reason!!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

GTC wrote: »
    The actual amount driving on Superintendent's permission is tiny, and only in extreme circumstances, where there are no other qualified drivers.

ah come on now, there are quite a few on supers! and i'm not talking about the traffic corps here, we are discussing garda driving in general. in fairness, the traffic corps members know their stuff. i know the prob of getting a place on driving course is being addressed neway. whoever said anything about provisionals is totally wrong though, that doesn't happen and isn't allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Given that driving offences are mostly tackled by the Traffic Corps, and the fact that all Traffic Corps members must have the full advanced course certificate, I somehow doubt that "a lot of them were on provisional licenses".
    I corrected my mistake. I meant 'supers' not provisionals.

We're not talking about Traffic Corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Avoiding an accident would be much more beneficial than sounding the horn. Generally, if you have time to sound the horn, you should have time to avoid an accident.

I was pulled over and subjected to almost an NCT-like test at the side of the road for overtaking a patrol car which was travelling below the posted speed limit. The Garda seemed disappointed to find everything in order. :rolleyes:

No Quite Correct Wishbone, they are exempt Most By Laws e.g. Speed Limits Stop Signs Red Light etc but only in the case of an emergency and in the event of an accident if they can't justify what they are doing they could be prosecuted or disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Given that driving offences are mostly tackled by the Traffic Corps, and the fact that all Traffic Corps members must have the full advanced course certificate, I somehow doubt that "a lot of them were on provisional licenses". No full license, no driving of PSVs, period. The actual amount driving on Superintendent's permission is tiny, and only in extreme circumstances, where there are no other qualified drivers.

If you think for one second that a Garda would let himself be driven by an unqualified colleague, its a bit of an insult, to be frank.

Unfortunately you are not correct either GTC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was on a roundabout in Limerick once and had to brake hard to avoid being broadsided by a large black Merc about to cut me off. As it passed I saw Willie O'Dea in the passenger seat. Was sorely tempted to honk the horn and give him the finger but thought better of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 watchinpaintdry

I recently beeped a guard who on traffic duty, standing at a roundabout due to a concert being on nearby. He clearly wasn't controlling the flow of traffic properly, causing a massive tail back. He was none too impressed, especially when I beeped a second time :rolleyes: Nothing happend though, probably since he was on his own.

Advertisement