Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Beeping at Gardai

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

There is a certain amount of intimidation involved when a Garda pulls you over,

Witnessed an accident between a patrol car and a motorbike once - was immediately behind when patrol car turned right with no signal and collected the biker. Gardai called the recovery truck to take the bike away, gave the biker the third degree, my passenger was a solicitor, copped what was happening, talked to the biker, Q'd the cops re what act etc they were taking his bike, cops backed down, recovery truck sent away empty handed, biker got compo eventually.

Now, if that was just Johnny Public on his own? And they wonder why we don't trust them with a national DNA database? as the saying goes, Some done, much to do.

Still not trusted.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Interesting. If a Garda is arresting you or fining you for any offense on the road, do they have to back up why they are prosecuting you and under which Act ?

Gardai use intimidation an awful lot regarding traffic on our roads. Its time people know their rights and give it right back to the Gardai within the constraints of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Im afraid ive come across more stupid gardas than good ones...dunno the reason, poor training?? poor selection process??
    As for the driving....they drive like joyriders compared to waht i have seen abroad where i guess they get better training, also they have a poor choice of cars here.
    I would have no problem "beeping" a garda, they only human, they make mistakes to, if they cant admit that then they shouldnt be in the force and can be reported to garda complaints commision.
    At the end of the day its a public service they are providing so the public need to treat it as just that and commend the good ones and report the bad ones, we well all benifit from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Just to clear up a few things

Its know as "Chiefs" not Supers. Its the permission of the Chief Superintendent that allow Gardai to drive without having the driving course done.

To drive a Patrol car u must have a full licence.

There are currently approx 2500 Gardai driving on Chiefs permission.

Traffic Corps memnbers do not have to have any car course done but usually do it after joining the Corps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

macnab wrote: »
    bare it.

That's probably not a good idea.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I've done it a few times. Once a copper was driving on the wrong side of the road with no lights on. I beeped and flashed! I got pulled in, he started yapping on about how he was a gaurd etc etc. I stopped him mid-sentance and just said "Sorry..... If I done what you just did then I would be pulled in and hassled and slapped with fines and court appearances. Now I can call your super and inform him of why you pulled me in or just politley tell you to **** off. Its your choice." He just got in his car and left. He knew I done nothing wrong so I just let rip. Although for a few weeks the car was stopped every night for any sort of reason!!

Why do people post bull****? Its not like it impresses anyone, especially when noone actually believes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In the strictest sense of the word, flashing your lights means "I am here", and your horn should only be used to alert other road users to your presence, or to avoid an accident (if it's after 11pm).

So if you use either for any other purpose, the Gardai are technically correct to pull you over, whether or not they were also in the wrong.

I too would be of the opinion that if you have time to beep the horn "to avoid an accident", then that time should be spent avoiding the accident, not using your horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

seamus wrote: »
    I too would be of the opinion that if you have time to beep the horn "to avoid an accident", then that time should be spent avoiding the accident, not using your horn.

Avoiding an accident and sounding the horn are not mutually exclusive. Most people should be able to brake, steer and press the horn at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

phutyle wrote: »
    Avoiding an accident and sounding the horn are not mutually exclusive. Most people should be able to brake, steer and press the horn at the same time.
    Pressing the horn on many vehicles requires removing one hand from the steering wheel, reducing your steering abilty. Beeping should be your last action, unless there is no way to avoid the accident - e.g. if someone is drifting into your lane and all you have beside you is a barrier.

Advertisement