Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three critically ill after Waterford party

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Poor Lad? To be honest, I do feel sorry for him that he is battling cancer and my heart truly does go out to him. However, for the situation that he is in now, drug related, he does not get my sympathy. Quoted in the National Paper: "John took drugs but he didn't deserve to be in a coma." No, I will agree no one deserves to be in a coma - but that is something which anyone that even dabbles in cocaine is dancing with.

My sympathies do go out to the family and friends it is a terrible thing to happen, but what else did they expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Might just tone it down lads, I am hearing one of the aforementioned is dead (unconfirmed, but usually a very reliable source)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Yeah ffs ye all have some cheek going on the way ye are. They were only going out to have a laugh, no one deserves this no matter how stupid their decisions may seem.

I really hope they come through it's such a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some laugh.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I just heard that one of them has died. Don't want to post a name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

I don't wish any of these people from Waterford bad but im saving my sympathy for Anthony Campbell and his family. If you remember Anthony was an 19 year old apprentice plumber who was shot dead along with Martin 'marlo' Hyland in a drugs related hit last December. Anthony just happened to be working in Hylands house when he was hit. Anthony was an innocent lad learning a trade who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Lets keep it in perspective what drugs are doing to our society and where our sympathies should lie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

steven22 wrote: »
    How reliable ? The family live in Viewmount which is a stones throw from WRH ? And the fella, Gray, he is the one meant to be worse. Waterford rumours Sully. Forgive me if im proven otherwise in the next few weeks. Im hoping he has a speedy recovery. Poor lad, cancer, now this.
    Very reliable. As in, so reliable it cant be false. Make what you want out of that, but what im told was a guarntee from someone extremely close to the family.

It seems the chap has died - I wont find out until the morning if its true or not, but id imagine the press have it before I will. At this time, I think its best we give our condolences to his family and friends. We all make mistakes, it looks like this chap may have made one to. May he Rest In Peace.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I don't wish any of these people from Waterford bad but im saving my sympathy for Anthony Campbell and his family. If you remember Anthony was an 19 year old apprentice plumber who was shot dead along with Martin 'marlo' Hyland in a drugs related hit last December. Anthony just happened to be working in Hylands house when he was hit. Anthony was an innocent lad learning a trade who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Lets keep it in perspective what drugs are doing to our society and where our sympathies should lie.

To be fair, I don't think any of the people in hospital were anywhere near as dangerous as the chap he was in the house doing work for. Its a completely different level of drug taking.

You would be surprised, a very large amount of people take a small amount of drugs. Id imagine himself and friends fall into this category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sully wrote: »
    You would be surprised, a very large amount of people take a small amount of drugs. Id imagine himself and friends fall into this category.
    And it's these people who give the likes of Hyland their power in the first place. It's small casual drug takers who hold the most responsibility for the gangland scum.

You both hit on what im trying to say here
    To be fair, I don't think any of the people in hospital were anywhere near as dangerous as the chap he was in the house doing work for. Its a completely different level of drug taking.

This is why I don't wish them bad sully, im sure they didn't wake up that morning with the intention of ending up in Intensive Care fighting for their lives.
    seamus wrote: »
    And it's these people who give the likes of Hyland their power in the first place. It's small casual drug takers who hold the most responsibility for the gangland scum.

But this is why they won't get my sympathy, Anthony Campbell and his family will. As Seamus pointed out its the small casual drug takers that create the market for drugs and thus fuel drug and gang related crime in this country. Where a lot of this gang related crime is between criminals, as in Anthonys case someone innocent will get caught in the crossfire.

So the casual drug user may say I take drugs xxx 3 times a year its no harm. But the reality is in a small way they are contributing to the circumstances that led to the murder of Anthony Campbell.

• Advertisement

Well WLR are saying both are still alive. However its just been noted how the father of one is on his way back home from Australia.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

I cant believe that some people on this are saying they are junkies...they deserve what they get

Cop on. Alchohol related deaths are much higher than any amount related to any type of drug use.Yet this country sees alchohol as a socially acceptable form of addiction. Cocaine is taken by more and more ''respectable'' people in the community who would not under any circumstances be referred to as junkies. The lads knew there was a smal risk as does every drink punter who enters the town on a sat night, liver damadge e.t.c

If anyone dies or maybe worse still has permanent brain damage they deserve sympathy regardlesss of the situation

To be fair a you'd really have to be tanking down the booze to be rendered on life-support after a few hours. Cocaine is greater than a small risk, its not quality controlled, any sh1te could be in it.

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    To be fair a you'd really have to be tanking down the booze to be rendered on life-support after a few hours. Cocaine is greater than a small risk, its not quality controlled, any sh1te could be in it.

Mike.

Have to agree with this,

Not these chaps. If they were small enough takers, I don't think so. There are far bigger drug takers out there, and if all the small guys left its only a small dent to the bigger guys.

Well WLR are saying both are still alive. However its just been noted how the father of one is on his way back home from Australia.

Mike.

He wont be pronounced dead until his father is back, from what I hear.

I to, have heard nothing on my side of his passing. Iv been informed there waiting on the father before they turn of life-support.

Im not saying that people end up in IC after one night on the bottle but the amount of deaths per year as a direct result of alchohol abuse is much higher that any result of drug use

I just think the attituse of people on this regarding people who are in a bad way in hospital is just disgusting, if it was your brother/uncle/cousin you're thinking would be quiet different

Human compasion is needed here not abuse to people who take drugs on a rare occasion

halfinch wrote: »
    The lads knew there was a smal risk as does every drink punter who enters the town on a sat night, liver damadge e.t.c
    As mike alludes to, every drink punter has the benefit of choosing their intake and the quality control of the product before it comes on stream. When you go out for a few beers, you're going out with the expectation that three or four pints won't kill you tonight. And you'd be right.

If you're shoving all sorts of crap up your nose, you have no idea what a "safe amount" is and you are taking an actual risk every time you use even the smallest bit of it.

It's akin to buying your own bungie ropes, tying the knots yourself and throwing yourself off a bridge. You're taking a risk of death every time you do it, purely because you haven't a clue what you're doing.
    Human compasion is needed here not abuse to people who take drugs on a rare occasion
    In my experience, people don't take coke on a "rare occasion". You either do it regularly, e.g. every weekend, or you don't do it at all. This does differ from hash, where many people may only smoke a joint if it's being passed around, but wouldn't actively go out seeking it on a night out.

This really is a case of stupid people doing stupid things and paying a big price for it.

I cant believe that some people on this are saying they are junkies...they deserve what they get

Cop on. Alchohol related deaths are much higher than any amount related to any type of drug use.Yet this country sees alchohol as a socially acceptable form of addiction. Cocaine is taken by more and more ''respectable'' people in the community who would not under any circumstances be referred to as junkies. The lads knew there was a smal risk as does every drink punter who enters the town on a sat night, liver damadge e.t.c

If anyone dies or maybe worse still has permanent brain damage they deserve sympathy regardlesss of the situation
    Got proof of that? I think its well known that drugs is a much bigger killer.

As Mike said, you have a long way to go before getting into IC due to knocking to many drinks back. I suppose, alcohol is a slow killer. To much wont kill you straight away, but it will shorten your life span.

Drugs, is a different kettle of fish.

As mike alludes to, every drink punter has the benefit of choosing their intake and the quality control of the product before it comes on stream. When you go out for a few beers, you're going out with the expectation that three or four pints won't kill you tonight. And you'd be right.

If you're shoving all sorts of crap up your nose, you have no idea what a "safe amount" is and you are taking an actual risk every time you use even the smallest bit of it.

It's akin to buying your own bungie ropes, tying the knots yourself and throwing yourself off a bridge. You're taking a risk of death every time you do it, purely because you haven't a clue what you're doing.

Exactly.

I dont have the exact paper from which I got it but I am doing a night course and we were recently studying heroinand the effect of it.Death by heroine was 165, cocaine ecstacy and other substance was around 600 and death by a direct result of alchohol not counting in road traffic accident as a a result of drinking was over 2,500. I remeber this as I was quiet shocked by it all yet we look down upon people who do it.Granted they have a choice and they are unaware of the amount that is being taken into the body....theses people are experimenting with drugs as many peopl do over some course of their life....

Get down off your high horse it could happen to anyone you know

• Advertisement

We all know it could (well, depending if you were stupid enough to take drugs) to pretty much anyone. A lot of people express annoyance at the fact people feel sorry for others who took to much drugs. Drugs are bad, dodgy, ****ed up etc. Your on the path to deaths walk if you take drugs.

However, while I agree - I do (and others do also) feel sorry for those who are left suffering as a result of there stupidity.

The final test was done this morning with no sign of improvement. His father is back on Thursday, from Australia.

I dont have the exact paper from which I got it but I am doing a night course and we were recently studying heroinand the effect of it.Death by heroine was 165, cocaine ecstacy and other substance was around 600 and death by a direct result of alchohol not counting in road traffic accident as a a result of drinking was over 2,500. I remeber this as I was quiet shocked by it all yet we look down upon people who do it
    I am perfectly aware that alcohol deaths are shockingly high, but the stats are difficult to compile and to use accurately.

For a start, any alcohol-related stats include everyone who dies from alcohol-related diseases, such as liver failure. These kinds of diseases only occur after a sustained long-term abuse of the substance - something which may be less common in illegal drugs than alcohol. That is, someone is more likely to do illegal drugs for maybe ten years and then reduce their intake when they settle down, have a family, or get arrested for example. The same can't be said of alcohol - alcohol abusers are more likely to be lifetime abusers.

This also has a knock-on effect in terms of proportion. While the stats will say that X amount of people "take drugs", there's little empirical data on who of them are irregular casual users and who are regular casual users. That is, while one study may show that 50% of those interviewed, "take drugs", in reality a smaller proportion again of them would be classed as regular users or abusers.

So it's very difficult to compare like with like when looking at death statistics. If you even take the rough stats you quote, then 725 out of 3250 deaths are due to "other drugs", or around one-fifth, which would be inconsistent in my personal experience with the number of people who would be regular drugs takers - "other drugs" are overrepresented. But that's without any actual data.

Are there any studies floating around on this stuff?

it could happen to anyone you know
    Well not really. It could only happen to people who actually take cocaine...

Im not saying that people end up in IC after one night on the bottle but the amount of deaths per year as a direct result of alchohol abuse is much higher that any result of drug use

I just think the attituse of people on this regarding people who are in a bad way in hospital is just disgusting, if it was your brother/uncle/cousin you're thinking would be quiet different

Personally I was talking about where my sympathies lie. When a situation goes bad in the vast majority of cases some party is responsible for not behaving correctly. I have only so much sympathy to give out, if you give it to everyone no-one has to take responsibility for their actions, by giving them sympathy you are making them out to be victims. In this case im giving it to a guy who was a completely innocent victim of a drug related crime. When you start shoving that s**t up your nose, even on a rare occasion, you are no longer completely innocent. In a small way the occasional/rare drug user is adding to the gang violence problem in this country. As i said I don't wish this people bad and hope they pull through but they are not getting my sympathy.

I agree to your view on alcohol and its incredibly damaging effect on Irish society but thats another debate.

Not these chaps. If they were small enough takers, I don't think so. There are far bigger drug takers out there, and if all the small guys left its only a small dent to the bigger guys.

I don't agree with you here Sully. Even if this was their first time taking drugs (and I really doubt it was) They are still taking drugs that need to be supplied to a market, and who supplies them but the gangs. They may be a very small portion of the market but they are still a part of it and still adding to the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Mike.

That's the real problem right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Nobody is in any position to judge here. The woman who said "drugs is running the town" is dead right. Where were all the condemners when the Roxy was in full swing.Man Fridays,Seventh Heaven and Flow motion or anything that has come since.If you are under a certain age it is highly likely that you are either acquainted with someone who uses drugs.know someone or take them yourself.If this isn't the case then yo've been in a coma yourself for the last 15 years Yet as far as I know the Garda aren't exactly snowed under with anonymous tip offs.

As for organise crime how many people buy the cheap fags,roly tobacco or beer?Pirate DVD's or snide clothing.Who do you think organises these rackets?I've been at all night sessions in Woodstown and Ballyscanlon with anything up to a thousand people out of their minds on booze,powder and pills and doing their level best to get easy sex.While there I've seen the "scumbags of the town" standing shoulder to shoulder with some of the "pillars of our community" all there for the same thing.I would also bet there is at least one poster here knows what I'm talking about.

Christmas is coming and the town will be a warzone on St. Stephens night.Drugs will have **** all to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SMM

Does anyone know if it was the amount that they took that caused them to lapse into coma or was there some poisonous substances in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Yeah, but when did bad alcohol last put someone in IC?

Dumb post of the year! Most admissions in A+E at weekends are a direct result of alcohol and alcohol related violence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement