Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three critically ill after Waterford party

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Christmas is coming and the town will be a warzone on St. Stephens night.Drugs will have **** all to do with it.

This is exactly what Im talking about...

Drugs are dangerous but in todays society they are as exceptable as going to the local for a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

eth0_ wrote: »
    Dumb post of the year! Most admissions in A+E at weekends are a direct result of alcohol and alcohol related violence.

You know what he meant. Alcohol is a controlled substance, manufactured by professionals.

Drugs like cocaine however are not and the quality of the cocaine is never guarenteed and you never know what you might get with it.

Class A's are way more destructive than alcohol. Give me a guy who's been taken class A's weekly for 15 years and a guy who has been drinking weekly for 15 years.. The class A guy will be a complete psycho. I know this because I've seen many of my friends go through it.

Alcohol is destructive, but the only reason people are in a higher ratio in A=E due to alcohol is because more people drink it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

SMM: nothing has been confirmed by police if there was something poisonous in the 'powder' It's after been sent away for annalisus.

Mad_man: The woman who said that 'Drugs is ruining the town' is also the mother of one of the men in hospital, and though it may be true everyone has a choice this is a free state and everyone at some point in there life was informed about the dangers of alcohol, and drugs. Like I've said they had a choice The choose to take the drugs and now they have to suffer the consequences. while you may have beenor not been at those parties out at Woodstown there are plenty of people who haven't been and choose not to go out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

halfinch wrote: »

Drugs are dangerous but in todays society they are as exceptable as going to the local for a few

Jaysus you're really outdoing yourself on this thread!!! :rolleyes:

Go and read the ''do you do cocaine'' thread and you may be pleasantly surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

it's people like you that make them acceptable halfinch. tut tut

I don't find them acceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Baby4 wrote: »

alot of people do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Sully wrote: »
    The final test was done this morning and his life support machine is being turned of today. His father is back on Thursday, there not going to wait for him to turn of the machine.
    sully im not trying to start an argument with u or anything but do u not think that this information you are getting should be kept to yourself and not broadcasted on a public forum. as far as im concerned and many others its just gossip to me till when i have heard it from a relaible source ie rte or wlr. u dont have the right to give out this information only if u are family.
    what if they decide that they want to give him a chance and see if he may improve in the next few days. and hear u are writing the poor guy off because of your "reliable source"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

trishw78 wrote: »
    SMM: nothing has been confirmed by police if there was something poisonous in the 'powder' It's after been sent away for annalisus.

Mad_man: The woman who said that 'Drugs is ruining the town' is also the mother of one of the men in hospital, and though it may be true everyone has a choice this is a free state and everyone at some point in there life was informed about the dangers of alcohol, and drugs. Like I've said they had a choice The choose to take the drugs and now they have to suffer the consequences. while you may have beenor not been at those parties out at Woodstown there are plenty of people who haven't been and choose not to go out there.

I did know who the woman was.I read the newspapers.Her relationship to one of hospitalised doesn't make her any less wrong.

But that isn't the point.The point is the that most of the atitudes displayed here is classic hypocrisy.The fact is if the posters on this board are representative of our society then they will go and get bladddered at least once this week. This in principle is no different to your coke user.They're both taking phsychoactive substance.They're both relying on an emotional crutch.Most importantly of all they are both equally dangerous despite the public perception.As for your point about people not "choosing" to go to Woodstown.This maybe so.But don't delude yourself into thinking this is some sort of moral choice. Their will be thousands of people in Waterford attending house parties no different to the one that occured in Ballybeg.It was a house party not Sodom and Gomorah.What's more there will be many pontificaters who know people who take/deal drugs and will not have the moral courage to do something about it.That is the real problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's more there will be many pontificaters who know people who take/deal drugs and will not have the moral courage to do something about it.That is the real problem.

True, many prefer to keep thier heads down and thier frontdoor intact.

Mike.

• Advertisement

I don't know what country you are living in never mind planet.Irelands No. 1 ADDICTION PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY DRINK.

Alcohol is a mitigating factor in the vast majority of violent crime in Western Society.

The vast majority of mental illnesses in this country and hospitalistions in mental institutions are caused by alcohol abuse.

These are well known facts.Google them and see for yourself.Halfinch is spot on.That is the prevalent towards drugs today by a huge number of people to soimply right them of as scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

maybe ye all should stop discussing it...its not fair spreading personal stuff like ye are about turning off the life support machines and stuff that private,certainly not for a public fourm like this...

HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR THE FAMILIES, you wouldnt like it if it was a member of you family and you look at this and people are running there mouths off about them would you.

I'm not deluding myself into thinking it's any sort of a moral choice. It happens to be an illegal substance. I've made the legal choice. As was pointed out on the Gerry Ryan Show we don't live in a police state. Many people do turn a blind eye to what's going on and that's part of the problem. But who wants to be known as a snitch, who out there wants to put themselves and there families in danger for doing the right thing and picking up the phone and calling the cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

it's people like you that make them exceptable halfinch. tut tut

I don't find them acceptable

Im not saying give everyone a slap on the back for taking drugs but dont look down on them....you may do something that others might view as inapprpriate...im of a young generation and drugs are everywhere.....not just in the council estates either......stop living in your little bubble and thinking that all drug users are junkies

emo!! wrote:
    you wouldnt like it if it was a member of you family
    Your right I wouldn't like it if it was a member of my family, but I'd be ashamed that a member of my family was a complete idiot and now the country knew it also

Your right I wouldn't like it if it was a member of my family, but I'd be ashamed that a member of my family was a complete idiot and now the country knew it also

so you can honestly say that nobody in your family has ever touched drugs or done anything to put there life in danger, same goes to your circle of friends, you dont know what goes on behind closed doors no matter how close you are to the person...

wheres yer compassion, it a terrible thing that happened and there now paying the price for it, the least ye could do is stop running yer mouths of about how idiotic there were, cause if any of them do pull through im sure they will know that for themselves and there families dont need them be judged be any of ye on here tbh.. show some respect

halfinch wrote:
    Im not saying give everyone a slap on the back for taking drugs but dont look down on them
    I don't look down on them. I feel sorry for them 'cause they don't know what possible damage there doing to their bodies in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

emo!! wrote: »
    so you can honestly say that nobody in your family has ever touched drugs or done anything to put there life in danger, same goes to your circle of friends, you dont know what goes on behind closed doors no matter how close you are to the person...

wheres yer compassion, it a terrible thing that happened and there now paying the price for it, the least ye could do is stop running yer mouths of about how idiotic there were, cause if any of them do pull through im sure they will know that for themselves and there families dont need them be judged be any of ye on here tbh.. show some respect

What are you going on about? March yourself up to RTE and give out to them seeing as they're the ones broadcasting it out to the world!

This is a public discussion forum ffs! If you don't like what you see then DON'T READ! Everyone here is entitled to an opinion so if you don't like it tough diddy for you.

I'm not deluding myself into thinking it's any sort of a moral choice. It happens to be an illegal substance. I've made the legal choice. As was pointed out on the Gerry Ryan Show we don't live in a police state. Many people do turn a blind eye to what's going on and that's part of the problem. But who wants to be known as a snitch, who out there wants to put themselves and there families in danger for doing the right thing and picking up the phone and calling the cops.

With all due respest Trish, this is moral cowardice.Nobody wants to be known as a snitch but you have to draw the line somewhere.If someone assaults a person in the street would you clam up if they asked you to be a witness to the cops.You will be still called a snitch.

My fundamental point is we all "know" people who smoke hash or powder their nose.Or even don't pay their taxes and buy counterfeit goods.Yet we have a moral ambiguity around it that is not refelected in these posts.The fact is we have no business judging these guys.They're human beings and it looks like the cost of their stupidity is there life in maybe one case and the reat will hacvew to live it. The consequences far outweigh any wrongdoing they initially did.

emo!! I never said I was innocent and I never said I didn't know people that did some sort of drug in the past or present. These are my opinions.

• Advertisement

What are you going on about? March yourself up to RTE and give out to them seeing as they're the ones broadcasting it out to the world!

This is a public discussion forum ffs! If you don't like what you see then DON'T READ! Everyone here is entitled to an opinion so if you don't like it tough diddy for you.

yes and this is my opinion., so as you put it tough diddy to you

The consequences far outweigh any wrongdoing they initially did.

Bizarre logic. The consequence is the upshot of what they initially did.

A perfect example of cause and effect.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I don't agree with you here Sully. Even if this was their first time taking drugs (and I really doubt it was) They are still taking drugs that need to be supplied to a market, and who supplies them but the gangs. They may be a very small portion of the market but they are still a part of it and still adding to the problem.

I do believe that one of them was not a regular drug taker.
    SMM wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it was the amount that they took that caused them to lapse into coma or was there some poisonous substances in it?

Not confirmed just yet, but looks that way.

I dont accept drugs. I dont see many people in the pub snorting away in full public view. Maybe in the cubicles, but its not that common nor is it that acceptable.
    paul666 wrote: »
    sully im not trying to start an argument with u or anything but do u not think that this information you are getting should be kept to yourself and not broadcasted on a public forum. as far as im concerned and many others its just gossip to me till when i have heard it from a relaible source ie rte or wlr. u dont have the right to give out this information only if u are family.
    what if they decide that they want to give him a chance and see if he may improve in the next few days. and hear u are writing the poor guy off because of your "reliable source"

Who says I am not family? Most of what I said is on the news - RTE, WLR etc. The only part that hasn't been said is the turning of the life support. Perhaps, that's a bit to much so ill remove the statement and wait for RTE/WLR to confirm his death.

I know peoples "reliable sources" are often not that reliable, but this time, im fairly sure its reliable. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

eth0_ wrote: »
    Dumb post of the year! Most admissions in A+E at weekends are a direct result of alcohol and alcohol related violence.

Half of the time they come in drunk - to much drink and need a stomach pumped. But, id say a lot of it has drugs mixed in also.

mike65 wrote: »
    Bizarre logic. The consequence is the upshot of what they initially did.

A perfect example of cause and effect.

Mike.

There is nothing Bizzare about it Mike.They broke the law and they were stupid to take drugs.They did nothing that deserved death.That's the point.There seems to be a recurring theme that because they were druggies they don't deserve any sympathy.This atitude should be abhorrent to anyone civilized person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mad man wrote: »
    There is nothing Bizzare about it Mike.They broke the law and they were stupid to take drugs.They did nothing that deserved death.That's the point.There seems to be a recurring theme that because they were druggies they don't deserve any sympathy.This atitude should be abhorrent to anyone civilized person.

Actually, imagine someone dangling a knife above their hand nonchalantly. Then they drop it accidentally and pin their hand to the table. Would you call that "unfortunate" or "cause and effect"? Would you feel sorry for them?

Now take it to a more extreme level. Someone routinely plays chicken with a locomotive. One day, the locomotive wins. Is that "unfortunate" or "stupidity"? Would you feel sorry for them?

Regardling the reaction, I heard it mentioned that the drugs may have got damp while piled on the kitchen table so it could'nt be snorted. They ate it instead. Dunno if ingesting it like that would make that much difference but it might depend on the amount taken.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Regardling the reaction, I heard it mentioned that the drugs may have got damp while piled on the kitchen table so it could'nt be snorted. They ate it instead. Dunno if ingesting it like that would make that much difference but it might depend on the amount taken.

Mike.

From what I understand, if you snort it the affects are instant as it goes straight to your bloodstream. If you digest it, the affect takes a lot longer. Someone who isn't experienced with drugs will keep taking it and it will take a considerable amount of time for it to kick in. When it does kick in, its the first digestion that has started. Yet, you have a considerable amount more inside. Therefore, you then have an overdose.

I don't take drugs, but this is how it was explained to me.

Sully that sounds similar to the discription given to Gerry Ryan on his show this morning. From what i heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

thats spot on sully. Also, it depends on how its ingested. A popular method is to wrap a cigarette paper around the powder into a little ball then swallow this. If a number of these 'bags' burst at the same time your in big trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement