Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three critically ill after Waterford party

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That is the most intelligent comment I have heard on this issue. It covers it in a nutshell. Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

My sympathy does go out to all the victims and families involved, no-one deserves to die and therefore I am feeling some sort of sympathy toward everyone involved, but theres also a part of me that considers it completely idiotic. These people had a choice, they were in no way victims because their actions coherently lead to what happened. I can't believe one of the poor guys had just beaten cancer and then so willingly decided to harm himself again. After ridding your body of one poison I find it ludicrous how you could disregard your body and health in lieu of such substance abuse.
    The way I look at it is 'you live by the sword, you die by the sword.' Nevertheless I don't want to sound ignorant and I would feel some compassion for everyone involved in the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

Man in court after Waterford party
    Wednesday, 28 November 2007 10:47
    A 25-year-old man is due to appear at Waterford District Court on drugs charges following a party in the city on Saturday night.

Another 19-year-old man was arrested yesterday in Waterford city in relation to the same incident.

He is currently being detained at Waterford Garda Station
    A total of 15 people were treated in hospital following the party in a house in the Ballybeg estate.

Two of these, 23-year-old John Grey and 21-year-old Kevin Doyle, remain in a critical condition in hospital as a result.

So far there has been no improvement in their conditions.

It is believed they became ill after eating damp cocaine at the house party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Mrs. Gray was on just on the Gerry Ryan show, she is denying that it was heaped up on the table, she said that the papers were printing lies. she also said that both boys were still alive and her son might still come out of the coma but that he has a lot of fluid on the brain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So, where did they come from then? Looks like all the press have got it wrong...

Mrs. Gray, if I get the names correct, is from ballybeg and one of her sons is already out of IC. Her other son, is still in IC with no improvement. Iv no idea about anything else in relation to that family..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭flonge

I hope the men come out of the coma
    where did the drugs come from then,they didnt just appear out of thin air?
    if she was present she must of known what was going on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I can't remember the whole interview. She said the lads were upstairs her son came running down and said that one of the boys had colapsed and they couldn't wake him, then her son (the one in ic) colapsed so she rang for the ambulance, and that's about all I can remember of the interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think I know of her son is that's in IC. If I'm correct, he goes by the nickname of Mudball. I'm not entirely sure but I think it is him.

The other chap seems to have been a decent chap who just went to the wrong party. But that's just what I heard. All the rumours are stating that he's already dead but they won't confirm it - but I do hope it's not true and that he recovers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dlofnep wrote: »
    The other chap seems to have been a decent chap who just went to the wrong party. But that's just what I heard. All the rumours are stating that he's already dead but they won't confirm it - but I do hope it's not true and that he recovers.

Kevin? Yes, a decent lad. He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think he was a regular drug taker - but it could have been pressure from those who were.

The rumours are in regards to Kevin, which are coming from members of his family. I have not heard anything in regards to the other chap. Apparently, both are brain dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That seems to be the general concensus. They have the dealer nabbed anyways. I hope he goes away for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

flonge wrote: »
    Man in court after Waterford party
    Wednesday, 28 November 2007 10:47
    A 25-year-old man is due to appear at Waterford District Court on drugs charges following a party in the city on Saturday night.

Another 19-year-old man was arrested yesterday in Waterford city in relation to the same incident.

He is currently being detained at Waterford Garda Station
    A total of 15 people were treated in hospital following the party in a house in the Ballybeg estate.

Two of these, 23-year-old John Grey and 21-year-old Kevin Doyle, remain in a critical condition in hospital as a result.

So far there has been no improvement in their conditions.

It is believed they became ill after eating damp cocaine at the house party.

Named as a MR Anthony Connolly.

Never heard of him, family name just doesnt ring a bell:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

I know someone that was in the house at the time, and the the Coke was definately not on the kitchen table. They were taking it in a bedroom upstairs.

Also I know that it wasnt related to the quantity taken. Some people who took a lot of the stuff never passed out.

Id just like to say that Im absolutly disgusted by some peoples attitudes on this. 2 young men are in a critical condition and some of you seem to think they deserve it. People make mistakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Diver79 wrote: »
    Id just like to say that Im absolutly disgusted by some peoples attitudes on this. 2 young men are in a critical condition and some of you seem to think they deserve it. People make mistakes.

What would you prefer to hear? If you play with a loaded gun, don't expect sympathy if someone gets shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

What would you prefer to hear? If you play with a loaded gun, don't expect sympathy if someone gets shot.
    your well out of order there. i can guarentee u would not type that if it were any of your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭BIG-SLICK-POKER

Now there is a difference between a loaded gun and some Coke ffs ..That is the worst reply to a post i have ever seen .... Have u ever been at a session that u just do something wheter it be right or wrong it just happens . It doesnt mean they are bad people just something that went wrong .....

I will be open and honest i have taken drugs in the past, I do not agree with it by the way and it was only because i was around people who were doing it and at the time it was because your friends were doing it so u dont want to leave the side down .. These guys were just at a vulnerable age ..

I wish there families the best and pray the 2 guys get better no matter what slim chance they have , If they have any hope cling to it ...

There has been little change in Kevins condition anyway, everything is working as normal but his brain is mush. It was Kevins first time taking drugs. In his case, I guess he just feel in with a bad crowd. Probaby had a fair bit to drink and wasnt thinking straight

paul666 wrote: »
    your well out of order there. i can guarentee u would not type that if it were any of your family.
    If it was any of my family i'd be the first person to tell them what a complete and utter gobshíte they were.

I know someone that was in the house at the time, and the the Coke was definately not on the kitchen table. They were taking it in a bedroom upstairs.

Also I know that it wasnt related to the quantity taken. Some people who took a lot of the stuff never passed out.

Where did the story of it arriving on the table appear out of? To be honest, im finding it hard to believe the story's.

How the hell did a picture of the other chap who is in ICU appear in the Indo last week? According to Ardkeen Staff, there is a ban on cameras. There not allowed take photos. It did look like a phone camera shot though, and it never said who took the picture. It should never have been printed, in my opinion.

To be fair, id imagine some of those in the house that night made no mistake and were regular takers.

If it was any of my family i'd be the first person to tell them what a complete and utter gobshíte they were.

Some people make mistakes. It was Kevins first time (at least in the last year) taking drugs. I guess he had to much to drink, fell in with the bad crowd, and sampled it.

• Advertisement

Now there is a difference between a loaded gun and some Coke ffs ..That is the worst reply to a post i have ever seen .... Have u ever been at a session that u just do something wheter it be right or wrong it just happens . It doesnt mean they are bad people just something that went wrong .....

I will be open and honest i have taken drugs in the past, I do not agree with it by the way and it was only because i was around people who were doing it and at the time it was because your friends were doing it so u dont want to leave the side down .. These guys were just at a vulnerable age ..

I wish there families the best and pray the 2 guys get better no matter what slim chance they have , If they have any hope cling to it ...

I never said any of these people were bad people.

And i'm sorry, but peer pressure doesn't go very far with me. I was hounded from my early teens to take a drag of a spliff, i never did it. I was once in a room filled with smoke with about 8 other people sitting in a circle smoking. I couldn't even count how many times i was asked to take a drag. I never did because i never wanted to. The time i did take a drag was my decision and was by no means influenced by my peers. I've taken it a few times, had my experiences and moved on.

What i don't accept is people on this thread saying that some of the replies are 'awful' or 'disrespectful'. I don't think these people are bad people, i don't hope they die and i don't hope they suffer long term effects if they pull through. But what i will NOT feel for them is sympathy, they put THEMSELVES in the position they are in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

What i don't accept is people on this thread saying that some of the replies are 'awful' or 'disrespectful'. I don't think these people are bad people, i don't hope they die and i don't hope they suffer long term effects if they pull through. But what i will NOT feel for them is sympathy, they put THEMSELVES in the position they are in now.

+1

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sully wrote: »
    Very reliable. As in, so reliable it cant be false. Make what you want out of that, but what im told was a guarntee from someone extremely close to the family.

It seems the chap has died - I wont find out until the morning if its true or not, but id imagine the press have it before I will. At this time, I think its best we give our condolences to his family and friends. We all make mistakes, it looks like this chap may have made one to. May he Rest In Peace.
    Who says I am not family? Most of what I said is on the news - RTE, WLR etc. The only part that hasn't been said is the turning of the life support. Perhaps, that's a bit to much so ill remove the statement and wait for RTE/WLR to confirm his death.

I know peoples "reliable sources" are often not that reliable, but this time, im fairly sure its reliable.

Sully, how do you feel now after coming on here last week say the poor guy was dead and that the machine had been turned off. By you own account he is still alive and still on a machine. You also said that they were only waiting for his dad to get back from Australia to confirm his death. That didn't seem to happen either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

mad man wrote: »
    I don't know what country you are living in never mind planet.Irelands No. 1 ADDICTION PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY DRINK.

Alcohol is a mitigating factor in the vast majority of violent crime in Western Society.

The vast majority of mental illnesses in this country and hospitalistions in mental institutions are caused by alcohol abuse.

These are well known facts.Google them and see for yourself.Halfinch is spot on.That is the prevalent towards drugs today by a huge number of people to soimply right them of as scumbags.

Halfinch is skewing the argument and completely ignoring the fact that narcotics are illegal. Alcohol is regulated, and consumed in moderation, is a safe drug. Some might argue about its benefits to the digestive system in moderate amounts.

Show me an illegal drug that has these often shown benefits after short-term or, more importantly, long-term use.
    halfinch wrote: »
    Im not saying give everyone a slap on the back for taking drugs but dont look down on them....you may do something that others might view as inapprpriate...im of a young generation and drugs are everywhere.....not just in the council estates either......stop living in your little bubble and thinking that all drug users are junkies

What drugs have you taken? What age are you?

I hope they make it; and learn from their mistakes.
    paul666 wrote: »

I think that posting on a webforum would be furthest from anyones mind if they were in this situation.

I was also 'at a vulnerable age' and I made my own choices on my own terms. I would never do something merely to not 'leave the side down'.

Utter tosh.

+ 1

And i'm sorry, but peer pressure doesn't go very far with me. I was hounded from my early teens to take a drag of a spliff, i never did it. I was once in a room filled with smoke with about 8 other people sitting in a circle smoking. I couldn't even count how many times i was asked to take a drag. I never did because i never wanted to. The time i did take a drag was my decision and was by no means influenced by my peers. I've taken it a few times, had my experiences and moved on.

+ 2

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Sully, how do you feel now after coming on here last week say the poor guy was dead and that the machine had been turned off. By you own account he is still alive and still on a machine. You also said that they were only waiting for his dad to get back from Australia to confirm his death. That didn't seem to happen either.

I feel the same. You know why? Because I know exactly why they didnt pull the plug. I just havent said anything since people want to hear it from the news. Its not something there going to hear either. Some of you know what I say is reliable, others dont know me well enough.

Anyway, ill just comment on whats said here and on the news.. thats about it, since it didnt go down to well the last time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

+ 1

so if say your mother/father/brother/sister ended up in hospital after taking drugs you would stand at their bed and call them an utter gob****e while the rest of the family is there crying their eyes out? that's fairly sick in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

So after going on like your **** doesn't smell you still acknowledge that you were dumb enough to try drugs yourself. If you don't want to feel sympathy for anyone then so be it.But what need are you fulfilling by declaring your lack of sympathy on the boards? This isn't New York everyone in Waterford is probably only a person or two away from knowing these people. The fact is innocence is relative and no one is 100% innocent.Anyone who loses there life in a tragedy deserves some sympathy and so does their family.All the half arse analogies don't wash.If you really are in your heart of hearts incapable of putting yourself in someone elses position and feeling sympathy or empathy then this is a negative reflection on you and you might want to get some help because in all probablility you are a sociopath.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sully wrote: »
    I feel the same. You know why? Because I know exactly why they didnt pull the plug. I just havent said anything since people want to hear it from the news. Its not something there going to hear either. Some of you know what I say is reliable, others dont know me well enough.

Anyway, ill just comment on whats said here and on the news.. thats about it, since it didnt go down to well the last time!

Yeah, but the fact that you came on here and said that this guy was now dead, imo.. this was way out of order. You were adamanant that his machine was turned off and you had got that info very good.

The fact that this poor lad is still alive and connected up to a machine makes the matter even more serious. I am surprised that a moderator on a public forum would allow himself become so involved in such a sensitive topic and then to make matters worse, post totally inaccurate information about it.

so if say your mother/father/brother/sister ended up in hospital after taking drugs you would stand at their bed and call them an utter gob****e while the rest of the family is there crying their eyes out? that's fairly sick in fairness

Actually, no; because they would have heard it enough from me long before it would ever get to the stage of overdose.

No need to repeat myself to somebody who is unconscious.

I would be joined with the rest of my family at such time.

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Yeah, but the fact that you came on here and said that this guy was now dead, imo.. this was way out of order. You were adamanant that his machine was turned off and you had got that info very good.

He never said the "machine was turned off".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement