Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb Thread

Options
  • 25-11-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055189040

A posetr makes a complaint and rather than receiving a fair and raesonable hearing he/she is ridiculed and blatantly attacked not just by the defendent Poster but also a series of other posters including Mods.

Inciting/encouraging suicide is wrong, under the guise of sarcasm/humour is IMO unacceptable and far from funny. To go on and dismiss the complainant as stupid etc etc is way out of line.

Other posters (mainly Mods) made strangely more amibiguous points, that insult was not intended, strange given how frequently Mods lash out infractions for less obvious breaches of rules.

Most insulting of all was to see the thread closed as dumb.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I thought the responses were all fair and reasonable, with the exception of Mordeth and Sangre's. However, neither of those two responded with anything like something that could be considered a blatant attack against the OP.

I also didn't see, either in the thread you linked to, or the original thread, anything that could be considered "nciting/encouraging suicide". Talliesin was drawing a (rather appropriate) parallel between the idiocy of drink-driving under the legal limit and jumping off a cliff.

They're both legal, but they're both idiotic things to do. I don't think there was any mention at any stage of suicide there. Some people might jump off a cliff for the sheer craic of it and indeed, there are some idiots who jump off cliffs (and similar) completely devoid of any intention to end their lives. They just do it out of sheer stupidity. The consequences aren't even considered, which vitiates intention whatsoever.

The parallel drawn can be transferred exactly across to drink-driving under the limit. People do it because they're either (a) stupid outright, or (b) doing something out of character, which is nonetheless stupid.

I think the fact that you felt compelled to bring this up in Help Desk just goes to show the difference between you and reason. I'm sorry if you take that as a personally abusive attack, but it's really just frankness; I'd say it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I also didn't see, either in the thread you linked to, or the original thread, anything that could be considered "nciting/encouraging suicide". Talliesin was drawing a (rather appropriate) parallel between the idiocy of drink-driving under the legal limit and jumping off a cliff.

They're both legal, but they're both idiotic things to do. I don't think there was any mention at any stage of suicide there. Some people might jump off a cliff for the sheer craic of it and indeed, there are some idiots who jump off cliffs (and similar) completely devoid of any intention to end their lives. They just do it out of sheer stupidity. The consequences aren't even considered, which vitiates intention whatsoever.

The parallel drawn can be transferred exactly across to drink-driving under the limit. People do it because they're either (a) stupid outright, or (b) doing something out of character, which is nonetheless stupid.

I think the fact that you felt compelled to bring this up in Help Desk just goes to show the difference between you and reason. I'm sorry if you take that as a personally abusive attack, but it's really just frankness; I'd say it to anyone.

I would imagine that in the majority of cases where people jump off cliffs it is most likely a final but nonetheless desperate act to conclude what is otherwise an intolerable stressful situation. In such circumstances these people are suffering and to label them stupid is misleading and to make parallels with JackAss type antics is also incorrect.

Whether suicide is legal or not, it is many things but not stupid. Most times its irrational. Anyways the purpose of my post is that I believe the poster was attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In such circumstances these people are suffering and to label them stupid is misleading
    Which is completely not what he said. In fact he said that people who aren't committing suicide and jump off a cliff are clearly idiots.
    Anyways the purpose of my post is that I believe the poster was attacked.
    I disagree. The poster received fair and reasonable replies. You'll have to back up your opinion with examples.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

...Whether suicide is legal or not...
    There you are talking about suicide again, but suicide was never mentioned. Suicide is not stupid, and no one in this discussion ever said it was. What Talliesin said was that jumping off a cliff was stupid. If you take that on its own, with no surrounding depression or other attendant ailment, which is how it was intended, you would see that it is in fact a stupid thing to do.

You have to separate the two aspects. On the one hand, you're making a point that laughing about suicide in certain contexts is wrong. No one is disputing that. What you appear to be missing is that no one was at any point talking about suicide.

As to whether the poster was attacked, you will, as seamus says, have to point to examples of it. There are none, from what I can see.

Advertisement