Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreshore licence application for duck hunting

• 25-11-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I am going to apply for a foreshore licence to shoot ducks. I have a couple of questions regarding the application process.

Is the river shannon covered by the licence or is no licence required for rivers?
    When you specify areas to hunt are you bound to those areas?
    Is there a fee required?

Thanks for your advice.
    Smersh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭sounder

i have it to,as to the shanon not sure i know lads thats shoot it i ask them and let if ur in a gunclub u can get a club to apply to cover all of yeas a club, there is no fee, cheer sounder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You apply through the DOE, your application will have to be approved by the local ranger.
    AFAIK you can apply for as much area as you want, the local gunclubs could possibly complain if you are shooting but they have no legal rights over the foreshore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭J.R.

Free - lasts five years. They write the areas you specify on the licence so you're limited to those areas but you can put down as many areas as you want.

Just download application from National Parks & Wildlife Services (NPWS) ...(link below) and send it off - I didn't need ranger approval' just sent it off and it came back after about a week. (that was three years ago).

http://www.npws.ie/en/media/Media,3685,en.pdf

They give a list of the lakes on 2nd page of application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

CJhaughey and J.R. post's cover it,
    Read the rules and reg's carefully. :)
    The Shannon Estuary is considered the foreshore, but Lough Derg requires a permit.

http://www.npws.ie/WildlifePlanningtheLaw/Licences/HuntingFaunainState-OwnedForeshoreetc/

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie:80/1976/en/act/pub/0039/sec0035.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie:80/1976/en/act/pub/0039/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Grand so.

Do you have to supply the serial number of the shotgun or simply say it is a shotgun?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭sounder

i don't think so it' 3 years or so since i filled it out sorry cheers sounder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

shannon river is foreshore and requires the licence it can be 5 years but i notice that our club got a blanket cover for all our members and it only lasts a year and must be aplyed for again next year ...don't know what side of the river your on but the fergus is a different river and if you intend to shoot it add to your licence when your aplying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it true that you need permission to get to the rivers and lakes to begin with? I mean you would have to cross some farmers land first and he would most likely done a deal with the local club and would not want everyone crossing his land to the rivers?

Are any of the foreshore areas/lakes acceesable by road without having to cross private lands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You wouldn't need permission if you can go straight from a public area onto a riverbank or lake shore or if you use a boat launched from a public area. Mind you you're not supposed to use mechanically propelled craft unless you're moored on a bank or anchored with the engine off. . That would be the same as shooting from a car...illegal.

Advertisement