Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia E65 Data Cable Issue

• 25-11-2007 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a Nokia E65 recently. Seems to be a very good phone. Never had a Nokia before so I'm not 100% of my way around it yet. That said, I'm still reasonably technical.

However yesterday, I wanted to put the GPS Mapping software on it. I installed the phone software from the CD onto my laptop, plugged in the data cable and phone to the USB. No problems. I then downloded the map software and transferred it across. The phone asks you do you want to connect to the PC once you plug it in. Then installs the new software on the phone. All fine. Later yesterday, I wanted to put the actual maps on the phone. So again I downloaded that software and tried to transfer it to the phone. The USB doesnt seem to be recognising the phone. It doesn't ask me if I want to connect, there's no message on the phone and no icon on the desktop to say a device has been plugged in.

I don't know what the difference is between the first time and second time I used it, or on which end of the connection, the issue is caused by.

I hope I'm doing something stupid so that I can correct it easily and not ring customer support or bring it back.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the message on the phone asking if you want to use it with the pc suite or for data transfer should show up every time you plug it in. on my pc it doesn't show up as a piece of hardware to be removed like a pen drive would. try opening the pc suite and see if it says e65 connected via usb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Nope,I'm afraid not. I've opened the PC suite, connected the phone and pressed the connect button on the suite. No joy. Can't think what's wrong at all. Everything looks in order but not a gig out of it. It connects with the infrared. I don't have bluetooth on my laptop

Would there be anything I haven't turned on at all in the phone? I'm pretty sure I've looked into all the connection options on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Eglinton wrote: »
    Would there be anything I haven't turned on at all in the phone?

no. you've probably bent some pins on the cable tbh. it should just connect. unless anyone else can offer a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

no. you've probably bent some pins on the cable tbh. it should just connect. unless anyone else can offer a solution?

Are they that easy to break? I didn't think I was too rough with. They look robust enough. There are 6 sprung pins. They're not all quite the same length. mm difference maybe. Could it be a driver either on the phone or PC?

There was one error yesterday when I was cancelling the sync function after I'd pressed it by accident. Had to END program. Could it have become corrupted?

I think I'll reinstall the PC suite. I already uninstalled the GPS software just in case it was that. It wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I'd say it's the PC - Try re-installing PC suite and drivers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Had that a few times myself. Found that if you us a different USB port, it re-recognises the phone and all is well, or a reboot will do it.

Although, now I use Linux as my main system, Data Transfer is a breeze!

Advertisement