Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New speed limits on Ongar Road

Options
  • 25-11-2007 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭

Fingal CC have finally come to their senses and have decided to raise the ridiculously low speed limits on the new Ongar Road. From 21st January the limit will be raised from 50km/h to 60km/h on 3 sections of the road - Blanchardstown Road South (Power City) to Hansfield Road, the distributor road from Hansfield Road to Navan Road and the link road between Ongar Road and Hartstown Road.

A more sensible speed limit was long overdue, especially as there were plenty of easy targets for speed traps as it was quite easy to inadvertantly go over the limit because it's such a good stretch of road.

Are there any other roads in D15 that you think the speed limit is too low, or even too high?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's good news.

As for the other roads, it would be nice if we had more speed limit signs so we could actually know the speed limits for the roads. Most of the time I'm relying on guesswork.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's a fair point, there does seem to be a serious shortage of proper speed limit signs, although you could argue that that's the case in a lot of places, not just D15.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That is great news about the Ongar road, where did you read it? I use that road every day and when it opened I had tried to keep to the 50kph limit. Over time though I had just decided to keep under 60kph though (as I just got sick of being tail-gaited and undertaken in the bus lane), and if I got points/fine to just put up with it as 50kph was ridiculous on a road which is almost dead straight, has a separate wide path on both sides, has a separate bus lane on both sides, has a separate cycle lane on both sides, is well lit and is as smooth as a billiard table.

I will never understand the logic behind the speed limits applied to our roads. The Ongar road as described was 50kph, yet the back road that I travel from Clonee to Dunboyne (the one that links up with the Leixlip road) is 80kph and has no paths/cycle lanes, no lines on the road, no lighting, numerous blind bends, poor surfacing etc. etc. and passes right outside peoples' gates. Doing 80kph in any conditions on that road would be lunacy IMO.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

PauloMN wrote: »
    That is great news about the Ongar road, where did you read it?

It was in some local paper that came in the door today. Not sure which one though, it's out in the green bin now.

PauloMN wrote:
    The Ongar road as described was 50kph, yet the back road that I travel from Clonee to Dunboyne (the one that links up with the Leixlip road) is 80kph and has no paths/cycle lanes, no lines on the road, no lighting, numerous blind bends, poor surfacing etc. etc. and passes right outside peoples' gates.

80kph is the default limit on regional roads. An 80kph speed limit sign is in essence a "couldn't be arsed thinking up of a limit" sign. They really should have just kept the old "end of speed limit" signs for when the default limit applied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Stark wrote: »
    80kph is the default limit on regional roads. An 80kph speed limit sign is in essence a "couldn't be arsed thinking up of a limit" sign. They really should have just kept the old "end of speed limit" signs for when the default limit applied.

It's got to do with the likelihood of victims, I mean pedestrians, straying on to it.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    It's got to do with the likelihood of victims, I mean pedestrians, straying on to it.

Well if that's the case then they should up the Ongar Road limit to 80km/h because those bloody walls they put up the length of it are pretty effective at cutting down the numbers of pedestrians on that road. The feckin' things stop me from being able to walk to Clonsilla station without having to go the long way round, but that's a different rant entirely!

Yeah I'm sure a narrow road without footpaths is much safer for pedestrians.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

But that's the thing, there's houses all along this road, and lots of people walk on it with no path to use. It's mad in the mornings, vans especially and bloody SUVs belting up and down and jamming on when they fly around a bend to be greeted by someone walking their dog. Certain stretches of it at least should be 50kph, no question.

Stupid typical waste of money. How long is the Ongar road there? Couple of years maybe, and now they've already had to waste tax payers money on doing studies into the speed limits on the road and changing signage. Should have been 60kph from day one, and everyone was saying that as soon as it opened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

PauloMN wrote: »

I will never understand the logic behind the speed limits applied to our roads. Doing 80kph in any conditions on that road would be lunacy IMO.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Always felt the same about the river road. Was 100kmph up to recently which was lunacy. It's now 80kmph for most of it, but that's still too fast considering how many blind bends on it and the lack of a footpath.

• Advertisement

The River road isn't 80km/hr, it's 60.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I stand corrected!

Advertisement